Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:46 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
The last thing I want to do is muddy the water but when I check my tranny and it's cold outside (30's -40's) and the bike has not been started the level is always just above or at the "A".

At the same time, when the bike is cold and it's during the daytime (60's - 70's) the level on the dipstick shows dead center on the "X".

I always thought ambient temp would be when the bike is completely cooled down and is the same temp as the surrounding area.

If the bike is cold, hasn't been started in a day and the temp in the garage is 35 degrees, is the temp of the fluid warmer or colder? Does the cold steel tranny case get colder than the surrounding temp?

Likewise, if I park the bike in the lot at work after riding it in early in the morning. It then sets there a few hours and cools down. Then the sun gets high in the sky and beams down on the bike all day. I come out to go home and the engine and tranny case is very hot to the touch due to the warmth of the sun, but the bike hasn't been started in 12 hours. Can I get an accurate reading?

Long way around the block to say this. When it's really cold out and the bike is cold my reading is lower than when it's warm outside and the bike is cold. If that makes sense?

I have never added any fluids since the 1k service was performed over 3k miles ago. Never has there been a dry dipstick regardless of outside temp.

Another note. If you checked your level and it was low and you rode to the dealer to have them check it, wouldn't the bike have to cool all the way down (possibly several hours) before they could check it cold? If I check mine hot it reads full every time.
Read my previous post (#2429) for my interpretation of "ambient".

Your post is a validation of what I wrote. The oil levels that you are reporting at various temperatures correspond nearly perfectly with the examples I gave of how much the dipstick reading changes relative to varying temperatures.

Once you know and understand how the oil level changes with temperature you can check it at almost any temperature and adjust your dipstick reading accordingly, i.e., if its really cold (30 deg F) or less, you should expect your reading to be a little low; if it's around 70 or 80 deg F your dipstick reading should be right at full; if it's 200 deg F or higher your dipstick reading should be above full.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:55 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I have never added any fluids since the 1k service was performed over 3k miles ago. Never has there been a dry dipstick regardless of outside temp.
If you have gone 3k miles and the oil is still on the stick then you either don’t have transfer or it is so negligible that you can manage it by topping off when you do an oil change. That said, I would still check it occasionally just to make sure. There’s been cases where the bike wasn’t transferring and then started and vice versa. It is a shame, I’ve never worried about my transmission level on a Harley before!

Old 12-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Read my previous post (#2429) for my interpretation of "ambient".

Your post is a validation of what I wrote. The oil levels that you are reporting at various temperatures correspond nearly perfectly with the examples I gave of how much the dipstick reading changes relative to varying temperatures.

Once you know and understand how the oil level changes with temperature you can check it at almost any temperature and adjust your dipstick reading accordingly, i.e., if its really cold (30 deg F) or less, you should expect your reading to be a little low; if it's around 70 or 80 deg F your dipstick reading should be right at full; if it's 200 deg F or higher your dipstick reading should be above full.
Thanks. It's a shame that right now the most important thing for me is seeing fluid on the dipstick. I try to determine where the reading will be on the stick by what the outside temp is and how long the bike has been idle. Most times it's pretty accurate.

One thing this issue has done for the positive is moved me to the mindset of checking the tranny before I ride and the oil when I return. I've always checked it occasionally at fill-ups on everything I've owned. In between if it wasn't dripping on the ground or I couldn't smell oil burning I just called it good.

Really glad this forum exists.

04ctd (12-13-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 03:34 AM
ramblin5
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 229 Likes on 112 Posts

The last thing I want to do is muddy the water but when I check my tranny and it's cold outside (30's -40's) and the bike has not been started the level is always just above or at the "A".

At the same time, when the bike is cold and it's during the daytime (60's - 70's) the level on the dipstick shows dead center on the "X".

I always thought ambient temp would be when the bike is completely cooled down and is the same temp as the surrounding area.

If the bike is cold, hasn't been started in a day and the temp in the garage is 35 degrees, is the temp of the fluid warmer or colder? Does the cold steel tranny case get colder than the surrounding temp?

Likewise, if I park the bike in the lot at work after riding it in early in the morning. It then sets there a few hours and cools down. Then the sun gets high in the sky and beams down on the bike all day. I come out to go home and the engine and tranny case is very hot to the touch due to the warmth of the sun, but the bike hasn't been started in 12 hours. Can I get an accurate reading?

Long way around the block to say this. When it's really cold out and the bike is cold my reading is lower than when it's warm outside and the bike is cold. If that makes sense?

Another note. If you checked your level and it was low and you rode to the dealer to have them check it, wouldn't the bike have to cool all the way down (possibly several hours) before they could check it cold? If I check mine hot it reads full every time.

Thanks for your analysis. I think that is what the tech was trying to say - cold weather, lower reading on a cold bike. Glad to hear someone else's read at the "A" mark when cold outside. As I mentioned in my update, after adding 3 ounces, when checking after hard riding and a 1 hr cool down it has read "F" the last 2 days. So, I'm hoping there's no issue.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:24 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

If you search, you can find a table showing the relative expansion and contraction of different weight oils at different temperatures.

I would expect a lower reading on a 30 degree morning.

ramblin5 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 02:34 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
If you search, you can find a table showing the relative expansion and contraction of different weight oils at different temperatures.

I would expect a lower reading on a 30 degree morning.
I would expect that as well, but lo and behold this morning at 35 deg and after sitting all night it read the same as yesterday afternoon after a hard ride and sitting for 1 hour in 60 degrees.

Who knows? At least I'm about to conclude that I'm not experiencing any transfer.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:35 AM
ramblin5
Road Master

Originally Posted by ramblin5
I would expect that as well, but lo and behold this morning at 35 deg and after sitting all night it read the same as yesterday afternoon after a hard ride and sitting for 1 hour in 60 degrees.

Who knows? At least I'm about to conclude that I'm not experiencing any transfer.
Update:. Good news for me. Passed the dye test. Nothing in the primary at the 1k service this morning. Conclusion is they didn't fill tranny completely during prep.

The following 2 users liked this post by ramblin5:
Cbyway (12-14-2017), stixvrad (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 09:57 AM
B00001
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Update:. Good news for me. Passed the dye test. Nothing in the primary at the 1k service this morning. Conclusion is they didn't fill tranny completely during prep.
That is great news!

ramblin5 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 10:28 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Is it too much to ask that when you take delivery of a new bike, a tour of the dealership, pick up a couple of free t-shirts and suit up to leave to assume your bike has been set up properly? Especially after they charge an insane increase in set-up fees over what the MoCo already pays them to do.

Glad it turned out good for you.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cbyway:
ramblin5 (12-14-2017), stixvrad (12-14-2017), torgoth (12-17-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 08:02 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,154 Likes on 1,861 Posts

This is all fine and dandy, but when I ride in the summer where every day I checked it and it was always 70° in the morning, the level changed. All of my level comparisons have been at the same temperature. Even now when it’s 40 or 50 in the mornings, there’s a difference after a few hundred miles, yet the temperature is still in the 40s or 50s.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?