Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 12:14 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn
I do not have a transfer problem so have not added to the clutter with an opinion
I just can't believe that after all the thousands of complaints an disinformation out there.This instant and permanent solution is discarded on warranty fears!
All I can think is that some people just like to be the victim and bitch about it.
Tell me this,if it works who would ever find out about it?Which Dealer would be so **** to cancel your warranty over a rod implant which seems to solve a problem they make useless bulletins about.If they did I would sue their **** and use this forum as evidence of their neglect!
bitch, ****, rod implant and **** all used.. Not sure where this is going..

Old 12-11-2017, 12:18 AM
Ert
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Because it’s not a solution that is being offered by the dealers or the MOCO here. They are wanting a warranty fix, if they do it without the MOCO’s blessing their warranty will be voided. Someone like Psyshack could try it, his warranty is already void.

I don’t think it is the cost. The things they are trying cost way more than that push rod and some are more labor intensive.
You are right with the warranty voiding. That is the only reason why I am waiting, too. I have bought a 4 years extended warranty, it would be dumb to throw it away. But there are so many guys like Steve Cole who have tried their own custom mods. Those guys should try it. Next step would that all others ask their dealers for it.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:37 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Disinformation

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
bitch, ****, rod implant and **** all used.. Not sure where this is going..
Like I said Just Disinformation with no intent to try a solution.Warranties ****!
They will void your warranty if you run the gearbox dry anyway!
Oops did it again!

Old 12-11-2017, 05:56 AM
ramblin5
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 229 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks for the thorough answer. Some really helpful information.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:57 AM
strat10
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Uhoh, went out to check the tans oil level, and no oil on dipstick.

Went to Harley to get some trans oil to see how much its down. Funny thing is that I asked the service advisor should I check it cold or hot, he said hot......

I guess I should take off the Primary cover on the jiffy stand and see what comes out.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:05 AM
B00001
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by strat10
Uhoh, went out to check the tans oil level, and no oil on dipstick.

Went to Harley to get some trans oil to see how much its down. Funny thing is that I asked the service advisor should I check it cold or hot, he said hot......

I guess I should take off the Primary cover on the jiffy stand and see what comes out.
Trans level should be checked at ambient temp and if you pull the Primary cover to check the level, the bike needs to be sitting straight up, NOT on jiffy stand.

The following users liked this post:
strat10 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 11:23 AM
ramblin5
Road Master

Originally Posted by B00001
Trans level should be checked at ambient temp and if you pull the Primary cover to check the level, the bike needs to be sitting straight up, NOT on jiffy stand.
Actually, I think he is goofing on me. At least it sounds like it.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:33 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Update: Rode 50 miles home from dealer yesterday after adding the 3 oz. Let it sit an hour, checked and it read "full". Rode it 150 miles today, let it sit an hour and checked it again. Read exactly as yesterday. No transfer in 200 miles. Hoping I have no issue and that they just failed to fill properly when setting up the bike. I'll know for sure Thurs. when we do the 1k service. Hopefully no dye in the primary.

GPHDXLC (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:36 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by ramblin5
Update: Rode 50 miles home from dealer yesterday after adding the 3 oz. Let it sit an hour, checked and it read "full". Rode it 150 miles today, let it sit an hour and checked it again. Read exactly as yesterday. No transfer in 200 miles. Hoping I have no issue and that they just failed to fill properly when setting up the bike. I'll know for sure Thurs. when we do the 1k service. Hopefully no dye in the primary.
Good luck! I hope you don’t have the transfer problem.

ramblin5 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:25 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by ramblin5
Just picked up my new 2018 Limited Low on Tuesday and put 500 miles on it the last 4 days. After reading this thread went out and checked the tranny fluid this morning and it was down to the "A". Took it in to have the dealer top it off and then check it again at the 1k service next week. Was hoping I wouldn't have this issue.
The last thing I want to do is muddy the water but when I check my tranny and it's cold outside (30's -40's) and the bike has not been started the level is always just above or at the "A".

At the same time, when the bike is cold and it's during the daytime (60's - 70's) the level on the dipstick shows dead center on the "X".

I always thought ambient temp would be when the bike is completely cooled down and is the same temp as the surrounding area.

If the bike is cold, hasn't been started in a day and the temp in the garage is 35 degrees, is the temp of the fluid warmer or colder? Does the cold steel tranny case get colder than the surrounding temp?

Likewise, if I park the bike in the lot at work after riding it in early in the morning. It then sets there a few hours and cools down. Then the sun gets high in the sky and beams down on the bike all day. I come out to go home and the engine and tranny case is very hot to the touch due to the warmth of the sun, but the bike hasn't been started in 12 hours. Can I get an accurate reading?

Long way around the block to say this. When it's really cold out and the bike is cold my reading is lower than when it's warm outside and the bike is cold. If that makes sense?

I have never added any fluids since the 1k service was performed over 3k miles ago. Never has there been a dry dipstick regardless of outside temp.

Another note. If you checked your level and it was low and you rode to the dealer to have them check it, wouldn't the bike have to cool all the way down (possibly several hours) before they could check it cold? If I check mine hot it reads full every time.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cbyway:
mjwebb (12-12-2017), ramblin5 (12-12-2017)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?