Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 02:38 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 533 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by ramblin5
Well, after going to the dealer yesterday and explaining the problem, they took it back to the service bay (after the bike set for an hour), kept it for about 5 minutes and brought it back out. "Done". Rode 50 miles home, got up this morning, checked the tranny fluid level and it was right where it was yesterday morning. Hmmm, looks like they didn't add any fluid, or else this is really transferring fast. Took it back this morning and the tech said the level at the "A" line is where it should be on a cold morning. The manual says check it at "ambient" temperature which I understand to be when the engine is cold. The tech says "ambient" refers to room temperature. So apparently my reading on a cold engine on a 30 deg morning is invalid. So, he cranked it up and ran it for 5 minutes and checked it again. Still reading at the "A" line. He then added 3 oz and we'll check it again next week at the 1k service. They did put dye in it so we'll know if any transfer is taking place or if it was just never filled completely when they prepped the bike for delivery.

At any rate, what is the correct definition of "ambient temperature?" Should the bike be run for a few minutes on a cold morning before checking?
Ambient temp is outside air temp, ie on a cold motor ...

Old 12-10-2017, 03:01 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
If it wasn't for guys like Stonecold and Steve Cole trying fixes this whole cluster fugg would seem a lot more hopeless. Was wondering how this was going, so your piece hasn't been in a bike for testing yet Stone?
Steve tried the washer. The welds weren’t stong enough and failed quickly. I’ve figured out a way to eliminate the welding so maybe in a few weeks we’ll know if the washers do anything to stop or slow the transfer. I haven’t proceeded with the seal in the side cover as I was hoping we could develop a fix that wasn’t really expensive.

The seal requires quite a bit of machine work and I am not a machinist. I think it will also require the surface the seal is running on to be hardened and I’m not sure what that will cost. All told I can see being out at least $300 to get it to a place where it can be installed.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Ert
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I know I‘m repeating myself but even my dealer told me that the 14 cvo clutch pushrod is a solution but harley doesn‘t make this official. I think it‘s because of the costs. Until today I haven‘t heared of any transfer from bikes with this mod. I wonder why nobody wants to try it in the USA?

The following 2 users liked this post by Ert:
Peter Quinn (12-10-2017), TomcatCV62 (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 03:57 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Ert
I know I‘m repeating myself but even my dealer told me that the 14 cvo clutch pushrod is a solution but harley doesn‘t make this official. I think it‘s because of the costs. Until today I haven‘t heared of any transfer from bikes with this mod. I wonder why nobody wants to try it in the USA?
Because it’s not a solution that is being offered by the dealers or the MOCO here. They are wanting a warranty fix, if they do it without the MOCO’s blessing their warranty will be voided. Someone like Psyshack could try it, his warranty is already void.

I don’t think it is the cost. The things they are trying cost way more than that push rod and some are more labor intensive.

Last edited by $tonecold; 12-10-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:10 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Because it’s not a solution that is being offered by the dealers or the MOCO here. They are wanting a warranty fix, if they do it without the MOCO’s blessing their warranty will be voided. Someone like Psyshack could try it, his warranty is already void.

I don’t think it is the cost. The things they are trying cost way more than that push rod and some are more labor intensive.
That option is on my radar with another floating around. But it's very clear HD hasn't a clue. Wife and I got the King out today, 62F here. Warmed the rattle trap up and after 10 miles I couldn't stand it anymore. Brought it back home and pulled the FJR out and put 100 quick miles on it. It will be one year of owning my POS new HD on 12/31. What a total waste of money.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:21 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 256 Likes on 156 Posts

So WTF did do in 10 miles that you "couldn't stand it anymore"???

Old 12-10-2017, 08:31 PM
ramblin5
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 229 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bradsULtd
Ambient temp is outside air temp, ie on a cold motor ...
That's what I thought. But dealer is telling me air temp makes a difference.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:37 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
So WTF did do in 10 miles that you "couldn't stand it anymore"???
I just couldn't stand to listen to the rattle, bang engine. Heads go quite then out of the blue rattle, clatter bang clatter, then near silent.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:32 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Well, after going to the dealer yesterday and explaining the problem, they took it back to the service bay (after the bike set for an hour), kept it for about 5 minutes and brought it back out. "Done". Rode 50 miles home, got up this morning, checked the tranny fluid level and it was right where it was yesterday morning. Hmmm, looks like they didn't add any fluid, or else this is really transferring fast. Took it back this morning and the tech said the level at the "A" line is where it should be on a cold morning. The manual says check it at "ambient" temperature which I understand to be when the engine is cold. The tech says "ambient" refers to room temperature. So apparently my reading on a cold engine on a 30 deg morning is invalid. So, he cranked it up and ran it for 5 minutes and checked it again. Still reading at the "A" line. He then added 3 oz and we'll check it again next week at the 1k service. They did put dye in it so we'll know if any transfer is taking place or if it was just never filled completely when they prepped the bike for delivery.

At any rate, what is the correct definition of "ambient temperature?" Should the bike be run for a few minutes on a cold morning before checking?

That's what I thought. But dealer is telling me air temp makes a difference.
Right or wrong, I would assume 70 deg F as the ideal "ambient" temperature in this context. In any case it would take quite a temperature change before you'll see much difference in the dipstick reading.

As a ballpark reference, the difference in the oil level on the dipstick at a 70 deg. F ambient (oil and case temp) vs. the oil level on the dipstick at a 200 deg F operating temp (again, oil and case temp) will be approximately 1/8" or half the distance from the add to full marks.

Another ballpark reference, from the add to full marks on the dipstick is approximately 3-4 oz.

As for the oil level being correct at the add mark on a cold morning, i.e., 30 deg F, I'd say that's a bit of a stretch. I would expect the level to be somewhere in the neighborhood of the upper 25% range between the add and full marks.

And finally, the dealer comment regarding the ambient air temperature making a difference, that is totally BS. It's the temperature of the oil and the cases that will affect the oil level. Air temperature is completely irrelevant except as it affects the oil and case temperature.

The following users liked this post:
ramblin5 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 12:08 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Why not listen!

Originally Posted by Ert
I do not have a transfer problem so have not added to the clutter with an opinion
I just can't believe that after all the thousands of complaints an disinformation out there.This instant and permanent solution is discarded on warranty fears!
All I can think is that some people just like to be the victim and bitch about it.
Tell me this,if it works who would ever find out about it?Which Dealer would be so **** to cancel your warranty over a rod implant which seems to solve a problem they make useless bulletins about.If they did I would sue their **** and use this forum as evidence of their neglect!

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?