Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 04:13 PM
ramblin5
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 229 Likes on 112 Posts

Just picked up my new 2018 Limited Low on Tuesday and put 500 miles on it the last 4 days. After reading this thread went out and checked the tranny fluid this morning and it was down to the "A". Took it in to have the dealer top it off and then check it again at the 1k service next week. Was hoping I wouldn't have this issue.

Last edited by ramblin5; 12-09-2017 at 04:14 PM. Reason: add year
The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 04:50 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ramblin5
Just picked up my new 2018 Limited Low on Tuesday and put 500 miles on it the last 4 days. After reading this thread went out and checked the tranny fluid this morning and it was down to the "A". Took it in to have the dealer top it off and then check it again at the 1k service next week. Was hoping I wouldn't have this issue.
Sorry to see this but I think you are doing the right thing. The more people make the dealer add the oil and document, the better.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Settertude
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

It is possible, that it was low from the dealer.
That was the case with mine. I added some to bring it to full and its been steady since--now at near 7K miles.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:10 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Originally Posted by Settertude
It is possible, that it was low from the dealer.
That was the case with mine. I added some to bring it to full and its been steady since--now at near 7K miles.
Yep, thought of that. Am hoping that is the case.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Oh yeah, I’ll have to coordinate with my wife to come to Sparks for an extended weekend. I don’t want her to miss that ride. By that time I hope have all the issues lined out.

If I send you the washer and a modified side cover would you get the dealer to install it so we can see if it solves the problem? I have to get the welds beefed up on the washer, but I could have them on the way by midweek.
If it wasn't for guys like Stonecold and Steve Cole trying fixes this whole cluster fugg would seem a lot more hopeless. Was wondering how this was going, so your piece hasn't been in a bike for testing yet Stone?

Old 12-09-2017, 09:05 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

This current transfer issue is fairly new to me as I've only had my bike for about 7 weeks now and just shy of 5,000 miles. I have transfer in the neighborhood of 2-3 oz./1,000 miles to this point.

To date, the best chance of solving the problem that I have seen is Stonecold's sealed actuator housing.

Other than that, if it works, and it looks like it will, I think the best option may be to design and install a breather into the primary and get rid of the "common venting through the trans" altogether. A new primary breather/vent along with a positive seal on the pushrod will certainly fix the problem. The only potential problem I can foresee with this approach is that the pushrod seal mustn't have enough friction to interfere with the clutch release bearing function in the engaged mode.

Last edited by 2black1s; 12-09-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:32 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Well, after going to the dealer yesterday and explaining the problem, they took it back to the service bay (after the bike set for an hour), kept it for about 5 minutes and brought it back out. "Done". Rode 50 miles home, got up this morning, checked the tranny fluid level and it was right where it was yesterday morning. Hmmm, looks like they didn't add any fluid, or else this is really transferring fast. Took it back this morning and the tech said the level at the "A" line is where it should be on a cold morning. The manual says check it at "ambient" temperature which I understand to be when the engine is cold. The tech says "ambient" refers to room temperature. So apparently my reading on a cold engine on a 30 deg morning is invalid. So, he cranked it up and ran it for 5 minutes and checked it again. Still reading at the "A" line. He then added 3 oz and we'll check it again next week at the 1k service. They did put dye in it so we'll know if any transfer is taking place or if it was just never filled completely when they prepped the bike for delivery.

At any rate, what is the correct definition of "ambient temperature?" Should the bike be run for a few minutes on a cold morning before checking?

Old 12-10-2017, 01:46 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

The dye in the tranny is the proof positive no questions asked answer to whether or not the tranny fluid is migrating. Ambient temperature or not.......

Old 12-10-2017, 01:58 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
The dye in the tranny is the proof positive no questions asked answer to whether or not the tranny fluid is migrating. Ambient temperature or not.......
Well, actually that's not the way I understand it. If the dye ends up in the PRIMARY then that's proof there is migrating. I won't know that until we change the primary fluid next week.

In the meantime, just trying to clarify the correct temperature at which to check the tranny fluid level.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:04 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Well, actually that's not the way I understand it. If the dye ends up in the PRIMARY then that's proof there is migrating. I won't know that until we change the primary fluid next week.

In the meantime, just trying to clarify the correct temperature at which to check the tranny fluid level.
I guess I wasn't clear..... I meant PUTTING the dye in the tranny, not ENDING UP with dye in the tranny...... sorry, I thought that was understood. I had my dealer do this test back in June and that cleared up all and any doubt.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?