Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
Well, It kind of,or sorta like sounds like maybe you are setting things up for a "Lemon Law" buyback of sorts. I have no idea what the laws are in your state, but if they are anything like the "Lemon Law" in my state it will not be a slam dunk to get them to buy your bike back. It will be between your attorney and the MOCO corporate attorneys. It can be a long, drug out battle before they finally write the check, if at all. In the meantime they will try fixing the bike by sending it out to other dealers and maybe even send someone down from Milwaukee to tinker with it by trying their latest and greatest fix. Once you serve them with notice you will probably become a persona non grata at your dealership. I hope your results are different than most and in the end you get your money back or a new bike, whichever you want.
Guess I should have been clearer about the "Wizard". As I had mentioned in previous posts, he is the Western Regional Tech for MoCo. This WAS their latest and greatest fix.......... their out of bullets at this point.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:08 AM
Ert
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn, really bad news...

Old 12-09-2017, 07:44 AM
B00001
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

MotoJockey- What are the 3 "fixes" that they have applied so far? I am just starting down this road and trying to educate myself as best I can to deal with their BS.

Thank you for posting!

Old 12-09-2017, 10:25 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Strike 3........

I too just had this "Fix" performed on my bike Wednesday. In fact, while the Wizard was describing what it was that he had done to my bike, I pulled up this pic, (thank you Michaelpost!), and asked him if this is what he installed. The answer was yes. 2 days and 230 miles later, I have watched my tranny fluid slide down the dipstick to just below the bottom of the "X". I'm headed into the city tomorrow to buy a new M&P Shield 9 and that will add another 90 miles to the Odometer, then another commute to work on Monday to put on another 95, and then I will take the bike back to the dealership on Tuesday for them to drain, measure, document, refill, and tell me what they are going to do at this point in the game because we are now at their 3rd failed attempt. As far as I am concerned, because I'm a nice guy and also really want to know what will fix this issue, I am willing, and have already offered, to let them take out my hydro clutch and put a cable clutch in to see if that has any affect on it at all. If they say no, we head down a totally different road, if they say yes, it shouldn't take long to swap it out and we will have answers relatively soon. If it fails, they will have 4 strikes and I feel I've done my best to help MoCo by allowing them to play with my bike for the last 6 months or so and will have no hard feelings pursuing different options to get a bike under me that doesn't have this migration problem. I'll know more on Tuesday.........
Jockey, sorry to hear the problem persists! One question, does this latest fix seem to do anything, like slow the transfer down?

Hopefully they’ll give you a new bike, as much as they’ve had this one in the shop I think this would only be the right thing to do.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:32 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by B00001
MotoJockey- What are the 3 "fixes" that they have applied so far? I am just starting down this road and trying to educate myself as best I can to deal with their BS.

Thank you for posting!
They had it for almost a month for a completely new tranny in June, then they had it for just over 2 months to try the new spacer/seal fix in October, and now this plastic clutch push rod seal or slinger............... 3 down.

I would think that guys just now bringing their bike in for this issue will go straight to the new plastic seal fix. Or they could hold off on it knowing it's not going to work for them and see if they let me get the hydro/cable clutch swap out done first. Actually, getting it in to the dealer to get the documentation started AND calling HD Customer Support is probably the best move. The sooner they have paperwork started on this, the better off you'll be as far as covering your ***.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:35 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Jockey, sorry to hear the problem persists! One question, does this latest fix seem to do anything, like slow the transfer down?

Hopefully they’ll give you a new bike, as much as they’ve had this one in the shop I think this would only be the right thing to do.
Actually Mark, I think its worse..... below the bottom line into the "A" in just 230 miles....... Gonna rack up a few hundred more just to help make my point to them.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:45 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Actually Mark, I think its worse..... below the bottom line into the "A" in just 230 miles....... Gonna rack up a few hundred more just to help make my point to them.
Ok, now that we’re on a first name basis we’ll have to go riding next summer! lol

Old 12-09-2017, 11:03 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Ok, now that we’re on a first name basis we’ll have to go riding next summer! lol
I KNOW you wanna ride in Yosemite, if you haven't already! Come down the 395 and over Tioga Pass, (once it melts off), and we can hook up!

Old 12-09-2017, 12:36 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

I KNOW you wanna ride in Yosemite, if you haven't already! Come down the 395 and over Tioga Pass, (once it melts off), and we can hook up!
Oh yeah, I’ll have to coordinate with my wife to come to Sparks for an extended weekend. I don’t want her to miss that ride. By that time I hope have all the issues lined out.

If I send you the washer and a modified side cover would you get the dealer to install it so we can see if it solves the problem? I have to get the welds beefed up on the washer, but I could have them on the way by midweek.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:07 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Hit me up with a PM sometime when you want to meet up. Late spring is best because of the flowers, the falls are still flowing, and it's warmer.

Hell, the Wizard couldn't even authorize a clutch change out with OEM parts, I know he won't be able to push an aftermarket part through the channels, lol. What about Steve Cole? He might be able to slap it in his bike possibly?

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?