Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 11:51 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

17 RGS stage I and a 18 Fat Bob S. Over 10K on the 17 and 1K on the 114. No transference of from the trans.

This has been an issue from the Rushmores to date with the Touring machines with the hydraulic slipper clutch. And only roughly 1 in 50. (my best guess from checking with three dealers).

Old 12-07-2017, 03:38 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

I was told today to come pick up my bike. They put dye in the transmission and now need me to put on “500 miles or so and come back in”. Ummm...it’s 25 degrees in Nebraska. Guess the dye will still be there in the spring.

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 07:14 AM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
I was told today to come pick up my bike. They put dye in the transmission and now need me to put on “500 miles or so and come back in”. Ummm...it’s 25 degrees in Nebraska. Guess the dye will still be there in the spring.
tell them to install Heated Grips for free, and you will ride it 500 miles!

Old 12-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Birdog
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't TA0022 instruct the dealer to have you ride 1000 miles after the dye is installed? Why would they have you ride 500 or so? Wouldn't that invalidate the testing protocol and give the MoCo a reason to say "Hey, our data looks at amount of transfer in 1000 miles and you didn't test it for that, as we instructed." Perhaps I'm a bit paranoid and too detail oriented but I would be more apt to follow MoCo's testing protocol. Just my opinion. It's usually worth what you're paying me for it but I'll offer it anyway because sometimes I do things like that.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:00 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

ohhh fudge.....

Old 12-08-2017, 12:51 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Birdog
Doesn't TA0022 instruct the dealer to have you ride 1000 miles after the dye is installed? Why would they have you ride 500 or so? Wouldn't that invalidate the testing protocol and give the MoCo a reason to say "Hey, our data looks at amount of transfer in 1000 miles and you didn't test it for that, as we instructed." Perhaps I'm a bit paranoid and too detail oriented but I would be more apt to follow MoCo's testing protocol. Just my opinion. It's usually worth what you're paying me for it but I'll offer it anyway because sometimes I do things like that.
It won’t take 500 miles to see my transfer problem. It’ll be evident in 100 miles. But it’s still too damn cold.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:28 PM
B00001
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It won’t take 500 miles to see my transfer problem. It’ll be evident in 100 miles. But it’s still too damn cold.
Please do keep us posted. I am picking mine up tomorrow as well with the same "ride 1k miles and bring it back" BS.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelpost

Strike 3........

I too just had this "Fix" performed on my bike Wednesday. In fact, while the Wizard was describing what it was that he had done to my bike, I pulled up this pic, (thank you Michaelpost!), and asked him if this is what he installed. The answer was yes. 2 days and 230 miles later, I have watched my tranny fluid slide down the dipstick to just below the bottom of the "X". I'm headed into the city tomorrow to buy a new M&P Shield 9 and that will add another 90 miles to the Odometer, then another commute to work on Monday to put on another 95, and then I will take the bike back to the dealership on Tuesday for them to drain, measure, document, refill, and tell me what they are going to do at this point in the game because we are now at their 3rd failed attempt. As far as I am concerned, because I'm a nice guy and also really want to know what will fix this issue, I am willing, and have already offered, to let them take out my hydro clutch and put a cable clutch in to see if that has any affect on it at all. If they say no, we head down a totally different road, if they say yes, it shouldn't take long to swap it out and we will have answers relatively soon. If it fails, they will have 4 strikes and I feel I've done my best to help MoCo by allowing them to play with my bike for the last 6 months or so and will have no hard feelings pursuing different options to get a bike under me that doesn't have this migration problem. I'll know more on Tuesday.........

The following users liked this post:
G'day (12-14-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:59 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Strike 3........

I too just had this "Fix" performed on my bike Wednesday. In fact, while the Wizard was describing what it was that he had done to my bike, I pulled up this pic, (thank you Michaelpost!), and asked him if this is what he installed. The answer was yes. 2 days and 230 miles later, I have watched my tranny fluid slide down the dipstick to just below the bottom of the "X". I'm headed into the city tomorrow to buy a new M&P Shield 9 and that will add another 90 miles to the Odometer, then another commute to work on Monday to put on another 95, and then I will take the bike back to the dealership on Tuesday for them to drain, measure, document, refill, and tell me what they are going to do at this point in the game because we are now at their 3rd failed attempt. As far as I am concerned, because I'm a nice guy and also really want to know what will fix this issue, I am willing, and have already offered, to let them take out my hydro clutch and put a cable clutch in to see if that has any affect on it at all. If they say no, we head down a totally different road, if they say yes, it shouldn't take long to swap it out and we will have answers relatively soon. If it fails, they will have 4 strikes and I feel I've done my best to help MoCo by allowing them to play with my bike for the last 6 months or so and will have no hard feelings pursuing different options to get a bike under me that doesn't have this migration problem. I'll know more on Tuesday.........
Not good news at all.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:22 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Strike 3........

Well, It kind of,or sorta like sounds like maybe you are setting things up for a "Lemon Law" buyback of sorts. I have no idea what the laws are in your state, but if they are anything like the "Lemon Law" in my state it will not be a slam dunk to get them to buy your bike back. It will be between your attorney and the MOCO corporate attorneys. It can be a long, drug out battle before they finally write the check, if at all. In the meantime they will try fixing the bike by sending it out to other dealers and maybe even send someone down from Milwaukee to tinker with it by trying their latest and greatest fix. Once you serve them with notice you will probably become a persona non grata at your dealership. I hope your results are different than most and in the end you get your money back or a new bike, whichever you want.

Last edited by Retrop; 12-08-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?