Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Not theory at this point in time. Real world testing is happening here. The fluid transfer has been greatly reduced but I did not stop it all, and short of that, it's not a fix in my book. I see no reason to get peoples hopes up that I have a fix when what I really have at this point in time is a great improvement. I hope to be able to get it back apart next week sometime and make more changes, then test again. If and when I can stop it, I will let people know. This was just a progress report like I said I would give earlier.

I'm thinking a threaded grove in the pushrod would work. The pushrod in the hydraulic clutch bikes don't spin or at least spins less than the mainshaft.. A course tread would drag any oil in the mainshaft center hole back out into the transmission..

Old 06-19-2017, 12:55 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
checked mine again today, been 3K miles since trans and primary fluid change and no transfer of fluids, I only ran it up to 4K rpm's briefly from time to time..as much as I hate the thought of having a self imposed 'governor' so to speak..I've found it to be very powerful and enjoying to ride short shifting and taking advantage of the abundance of torque...not really missing wringing the snot out of it 4-5K like I had been to be honest..touring bike and all, not it's strength or how they're intended to be ridden
Well it sounds like your results are running right inline with what we found, keep it below 3500 RPM and transfer is greatly reduced if not stopped completely.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:48 PM
Carlos3621
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Could it be possible the trans. vent is just not big enough for the pressure build-up at higher rpm's/ heat?

Old 06-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Billsbuffalo
Cruiser
Received 73 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos3621
Could it be possible the trans. vent is just not big enough for the pressure build-up at higher rpm's/ heat?
Why should owners who have spent a big pile of cash on a bike have to try to find a solution?
I was seriously planning on getting a M8 Road king but there`s no way I`m going to be a development rider and pay dearly for the privalage.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Mrhavasu
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Billsbuffalo
Why should owners who have spent a big pile of cash on a bike have to try to find a solution?
I was seriously planning on getting a M8 Road king but there`s no way I`m going to be a development rider and pay dearly for the privalage.
Sadly I feel the same way, hopefully it will be solved soon.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:48 PM
rodhotter
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

its good to see owners getting together thru the help of this forum to hopefully get-er-dun

Old 06-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by rodhotter
its good to see owners getting together thru the help of this forum to hopefully get-er-dun
Sounds like Keith Fenner..

Old 06-20-2017, 12:45 AM
VibratingPotato
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a SGS with a man. date of 05/17.
The bike has 2200 miles on it now and since the 1000 mile service I've spent probably 30 minutes above 4000 rpm and the trans oil is still full.
I think I'm either lucky or Harley fixed the problem and didn't tell anyone.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 AM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
checked mine again today, been 3K miles since trans and primary fluid change and no transfer of fluids, I only ran it up to 4K rpm's briefly from time to time..as much as I hate the thought of having a self imposed 'governor' so to speak..I've found it to be very powerful and enjoying to ride short shifting and taking advantage of the abundance of torque...not really missing wringing the snot out of it 4-5K like I had been to be honest..touring bike and all, not it's strength or how they're intended to be ridden
MJ, I am trying to sort out the data I am currently getting from my bike/issue. When you were seeing the problem, what were you running in all three holes before? What about now?

I am asking because my transfer rate seems to have changed as well and I've been riding the same as before... 2 up, mountains, pretty aggressive. I did change back to syn3 in all holes. Not saying changing the oil is related or not. Just trying to better understand what's going on here.

Last edited by Macrunner; 06-20-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 AM
Bobjv
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Well it sounds like your results are running right inline with what we found, keep it below 3500 RPM and transfer is greatly reduced if not stopped completely.
I just did 750 miles in the mountains and keeping below 3500 rpm still transfered about 10 oz. Mine would really be bad over 3500. It's at the dealer now.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?