Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:22 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigtwin45
[QUOTE = $ tonecold; 16866642] Ce que je considère est l'endroit où vous voulez percer des trous, enlever toute cette zone. Là où vous l'avez coloré en rouge, faites quelques reliefs au fond pour le drainage de l'huile. Si vous finissez par faire ce que vous planifiez, dites-nous comment cela fonctionne. [/ QUOTE]

2 HD Technicians France will make me try a solution next week. They said a prototype part, I do not know what it is yet. My dealer is very professional and they told me right away that the problem was known. In spite of everything, I do not want to do the tester, if the test is negative, I would ask the exchange of the bike. I'll let you know as soon as I get info.

I have to wait for this test before changing the crankcase. I let HD work on it first.
I would be curious, as I am sure several others on this forum would be, just what the prototype part is. If you can get them to show it to you and better yet get a picture of it before it is installed it would be great.

Je serais curieux, car je suis sûr que plusieurs autres sur ce forum seraient, juste ce que la partie prototype est. Si vous pouvez les amener à vous le montrer et mieux encore en prendre une photo avant qu'elle ne soit installée, ce serait génial.

Translation was done on an online translator so it may not be acurate.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:50 AM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Between all of these threads, I can't remember. What type of clutch is on the M8 softail line vs the clutch on the touring bikes.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Tick
Between all of these threads, I can't remember. What type of clutch is on the M8 softail line vs the clutch on the touring bikes.
Softail M8 is cable, touring is hydraulic

Old 11-30-2017, 10:22 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

The actuation is cable, the clutch itself appears to be the same three coil spring clutch that is in the touring models.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:33 AM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

This may have been answered somewhere in the 200+ pages, but has anyone that has the issue (especially if it's easily duplicated) tried the 3 piece pushrod from a '14 touring model? The last I heard, our German friends found this to be a good fix.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:38 AM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Softail M8 is cable, touring is hydraulic
Originally Posted by $tonecold
The actuation is cable, the clutch itself appears to be the same three coil spring clutch that is in the touring models.
Thanks.....

And because of this, we are assuming that is the possible cause of the migration? Have any new softail owners reported the problem as of yet?

Old 11-30-2017, 10:58 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Thanks.....

And because of this, we are assuming that is the possible cause of the migration? Have any new softail owners reported the problem as of yet?
We’re really not assuming anything, there is conjecture about what causes the transfer problem. There are a few of us that have tried to solve the problem, but as of now we have not done so. The clutch itself is not really being considered as the cause, it has been used in CVO’s for a few years without transferring. The actuator in the ‘17 touring models is a new design and I for one think there’s a connection between it and the transfer problem.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:05 AM
Bigtwin45
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE = $ tonecold; 16868868] Je serais curieux, car je suis sûr que plusieurs autres sur ce forum seraient, juste ce que la partie prototype est. Si vous pouvez les amener à vous le montrer et mieux encore en prendre une photo avant de l'installer, ce serait génial.

Je serais curieux, car je suis sûr que plusieurs autres sur ce forum sont, juste ce que le prototype de prototype est. Si vous pouvez les amener à mieux et mieux encore prendre une photo avant qu'elle soit installée, ce serait génial.

La traduction a été faite sur un traducteur en ligne donc elle peut ne pas être précise. [/ QUOTE]

I just called my dealer yesterday to ask him to take a picture of the mechanical part. I hope he can. HD is trying to stay very secretive about this problem.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:14 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I've got another potential curve ball to throw into this conversation... Has anyone studying this transfer issue seen any evidence of the oils moving in both directions, i.e., trans to primary and vice versa? I think that is what I'm seeing with my bike.

I described my observations in one of the other threads on this topic (post #448)...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...lletin-45.html

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Last edited by 2black1s; 12-02-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by hardtimes2
Maybe it would also help to get the American Iron MAG in on this I know a lot of people enjoy and put trust into their Techline write ups I know I do !! After all they say right on the front page its the #1 selling MAG !!!!
Nearly all of the front line motorcycles derive a good bit of their advertising revenue from...wait for it, the MOCO! Between the Harley dealers and the factory these publications are full of some type of Harley advertising.
That is the very reason you will never find a "hammer" piece in those type of magazines about Harley's. It would be suicide for the publishers.
Is there anybody out there who actually believes that the factory does not know why these bikes are transferring fluid from the transmission to the primary case? It has been the subject on this forum alone since May of 2017. The MOCO engineers designed the engine and transmission themselves. It is not conceivable that they don't know why it is malfunctioning at this point. They KNOW but they have made the decision not to fix it because it would involve a recall and would be very expensive not to mention it would attract a lot of unwanted attention on the brand. Judging from their desire to not fix this issue they are going to hope it all blows over and everyone forgets about it. If you own one of the affected bikes I can guarantee you that if your transmission locks up with bearing failure the day after your 24 month warranty is over, you will be on your own. In the meantime you need to start carrying a spare quart of Formula Plus and a turkey baster in your saddlebag if you are going to take a trip. That is what we all signed up for when we bought these new bikes, isn't it?

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?