Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 06:27 AM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
They have a fix for the 14-16 models.Go see your dealer.
It was full after the service, always double check certain things..I did check service manual and yes, it says check on jiffy stand..Ill do that and see what it says..thanks!!! and duh!!!

Checked on stand and it was good to go...phew..sorry guys!!!

Last edited by mastergunnera8; 11-10-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:24 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by mastergunnera8
It was full after the service, always double check certain things..I did check service manual and yes, it says check on jiffy stand..Ill do that and see what it says..thanks!!! and duh!!!

You said in post #2303 you checked it on the side stand which is the jiffy stand and it was low on the stick.Now you check it again and its OK.I think that because the oil is so hard to read on the trans stick,a lot of owners misread the oil level.

The following users liked this post:
mastergunnera8 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 09:13 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by mastergunnera8

You should check it on the jiffy stand and it should be cold. It's good to see you don't have a problem. I don't think we'll see many 14-16's transferring. Something they did to the '17 transmission has made this more common.

mastergunnera8 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 09:31 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
You should check it on the jiffy stand and it should be cold. It's good to see you don't have a problem. I don't think we'll see many 14-16's transferring. Something they did to the '17 transmission has made this more common.
Yet the TA document says the have a fix for the 14-16 models, but cant figure out a fix for the M8's.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:08 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Yet the TA document says the have a fix for the 14-16 models, but cant figure out a fix for the M8's.

Well apparently and I am not privy to any knowledge that is not common, the transfer in the 14-16 models stems from them having a leaking engine mainshaft seal that draws a vacuum on the primary. I think the MOCO assumed when they started having problems with the '17 models that the cause was the same and it may be, but replacing the seal and spacer in the '17 models doesn't seem to cure the problem. It apparently did cure the problem in the earlier models. This is of course just conjecture.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:58 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Well apparently and I am not privy to any knowledge that is not common, the transfer in the 14-16 models stems from them having a leaking engine mainshaft seal that draws a vacuum on the primary. I think the MOCO assumed when they started having problems with the '17 models that the cause was the same and it may be, but replacing the seal and spacer in the '17 models doesn't seem to cure the problem. It apparently did cure the problem in the earlier models. This is of course just conjecture.
Right. Like I've said before. These systems CAN'T be that much different.

I'm by no means mechanically inclined, but it cant be that hard for harley engineers to figure out. I'm sure their making close to 6 figures a yeah each. Earn that money!

Or....is it as other's have speculated here. They know the culprit, but its too expensive to justify doing right by their customers and standing behind their product/mistakes.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Klong4HD
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Since oil is transferring from the transmission to the primary does it make sense to use the same motor oil in all three holes?

Old 11-10-2017, 11:59 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Klong4HD
Since oil is transferring from the transmission to the primary does it make sense to use the same motor oil in all three holes?
not to derail the thread, but "3-1" oil theory is crap, put the RIGHT type of oil in the RIGHT hole, even my wife can tell the difference in how hard her 103 Softail was to find Neutral.

all my bikes shifted MUCH better without 3-1 in the tranny.
plus, why pay to put synthetic in all 3 holes? esp if it is just pouring out the other side

remember how older high mileage cars would LEAK synthetic if you switched, but not leak Dino oil, because it is "bigger"? could using synthetic be part of the problem? what comes in the tranny from the factory?
didn't someone say using the Formula+ makes it stop transferring oil?

FWIW, pull the dip stick, and lay it on a napkin/rag that is clean, and the dampness from the oil should show on the rag, then compare the rag to the marks on the dip stick.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:06 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Klong4HD
Not necessarily all 3 holes, but definitely yes on the trans and primary. Formula+ for me. You can still use whatever engine oil you prefer. That for me is Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin.

If not for the transfer issue I'd probably use Mobil 1 85W-140 in the trans.

04ctd (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Klong4HD
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Not necessarily all 3 holes, but definitely yes on the trans and primary. Formula+ for me. You can still use whatever engine oil you prefer. That for me is Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin.

If not for the transfer issue I'd probably use Mobil 1 85W-140 in the trans.
Thank you sir! I used Mobile 1 for the engine and used Bel Ray 80W for the transmission when I hit 5,000 miles but I haven't changed the primary yet because I was missing a few tools at the time. I know I changed the transmission earlier then recommended but I thought it wouldn't hurt the bike and I wanted to flush the system early. But then with this issue I'm concerned about mixing the Bel Ray with whatever is in the primary. I'm going to switch to Formula 1 for the time being.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?