Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:06 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
I don't want to see failure on your part. I just don't see how the bearing is pumping anything into the primary. That's not what bearings do.

My solution is Baker. I have no warranty. And it's clear to me HD hasn't a clue.
I don’t think the bearing is pumping oil, but I do think that the helical cut gears could be pushing oil to the bearing and flooding the small area between the bearing and the clutch actuator. Basically all I’m doing with the seal is separating the transmission and it’s oil from the end of the mainshaft where the clutch push rod goes through. If oil can’t get to the end of the mainshaft it can’t get into the primary. I have also made some washer nuts that will slow the flow of oil through the bearing. I just sent some of those to Steve Cole. That with opening the drainage around the end of the mainshaft might do the trick. Baker might be a solution, although I don’t know that their gear set is enough different to alleviate the problem. Maybe with their slave cylinder it could work.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:19 PM
ges32748
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Gamma742....finally got around to changing all 3 holes and when I changed the primary I used a plastic 4.5 cup measuring cup, it barely held all the fluid. So that amounts to almost a 4+ ounce transfer. Will be talking with my service manager next week as to what he might want to do concerning this issue!!! I'll make sure that he makes a comment in the 'books' so that it will be properly documented (and a copy printed out for my records). Just hope MOCO finds a REAL fix for this issue soon!!!

The following users liked this post:
Gamma742 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:23 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Well they are quick to fix stuff when they find it. lol.. Sorry little joke.

Seriously though, I can't find more than one thread of people complaining about that problem from 2014-2016.
Ive got a 16 RGU and after reading this thread checked my tranny oil..hot, on sidestand and its almost halfway down the grid, I assume that 1/2 QT low? This is 3K after last service..geez I am a fail at my PMCS!!! Looking at the SB, my year may be affected. My 2010 never "lost" oil in the tranny. thoughts?...besides topping it off?..lol

Old 11-09-2017, 08:27 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I don’t think the bearing is pumping oil, but I do think that the helical cut gears could be pushing oil to the bearing and flooding the small area between the bearing and the clutch actuator. Basically all I’m doing with the seal is separating the transmission and it’s oil from the end of the mainshaft where the clutch push rod goes through. If oil can’t get to the end of the mainshaft it can’t get into the primary. I have also made some washer nuts that will slow the flow of oil through the bearing. I just sent some of those to Steve Cole. That with opening the drainage around the end of the mainshaft might do the trick. Baker might be a solution, although I don’t know that their gear set is enough different to alleviate the problem. Maybe with their slave cylinder it could work.
Between you me and the thread. I think HD let a bunch of out of spec push rods out in production. Or over bored shafts that the push rod runs in. Just like they let my over bored jugs get through. And they know they are letting out of spec parts out,,, and don't care. Film strength/surface tension is what seals the oil in between the two parts. To large a tolerance oil pours through the to parts. To tight they burn up.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:56 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by mastergunnera8
Ive got a 16 RGU and after reading this thread checked my tranny oil..hot, on sidestand and its almost halfway down the grid, I assume that 1/2 QT low? This is 3K after last service..geez I am a fail at my PMCS!!! Looking at the SB, my year may be affected. My 2010 never "lost" oil in the tranny. thoughts?...besides topping it off?..lol
Are you still under warranty?

Old 11-09-2017, 10:14 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

They have a fix for the 14-16 models.Go see your dealer.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:32 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Half way down the grid on the trans dipstick is only an ounce or two, assuming what you're calling the grid is the upper and lower level lines with an "x" between them.

If that's the case, I wouldn't be overly concerned about an ounce or two in 3,000 miles.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:38 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Yeah, if you’re still on the stick it’s less than 4 oz. low. As long as you’re using the same lube in both the transmission and primary I would add fluid when it’s to the low mark. If the dealer is doing your services check it right after they do it. It’s possible that it was never higher than what it is now.

The following users liked this post:
kap1 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 04:13 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I know I'm probably in-correct here on this but I thought the tranny was to be checked with the bike at a level stance?

Old 11-10-2017, 06:20 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
I know I'm probably in-correct here on this but I thought the tranny was to be checked with the bike at a level stance?
No I think the owners manual says check cold on the kick stand.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?