Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 09:19 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Well this just means he's that much closer to the real fix. Like yours, that's when they tell you transfer is normal. Maybe you can ask them if it's normal why do they keep attempting to fix other peoples bikes with the problem?
I’m not finished with it yet, but here’s a peek at what I plan to do to fix my transfer problem. I’m waiting on a slave cylinder (hydraulic actuator) to make sure I can make it fit and vent it, then I will get a nut machined down so about half of it is a sealing surface. The seal is a SKF 10766, available at Motion Industries for about $13. If this works I don’t know that I will offer it to anyone else because the machine work is going to cost me about $125-150. I would think that this will be a real fix.

The following 6 users liked this post by $tonecold:
103Eagle (11-09-2017), cookiemech (11-09-2017), FM500 (11-09-2017), Fullbore55 (11-10-2017), Karl H. (11-09-2017), mjwebb (11-08-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-08-2017, 09:24 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I’m not finished with it yet, but here’s a peek at what I plan to do to fix my transfer problem. I’m waiting on a slave cylinder (hydraulic actuator) to make sure I can make it fit and vent it, then I will get a nut machined down so about half of it is a sealing surface. The seal is a SKF 10766, available at Motion Industries for about $13. If this works I don’t know that I will offer it to anyone else because the machine work is going to cost me about $125-150. I would think that this will be a real fix.

good luck, rooting for you! that's some crazy cool innovative thinking and manufacturing ideas you got going!

Old 11-09-2017, 06:20 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

I like the approach, hope it works for you. You won't need to offer it to the public, if it works HD will just steal the design. Good luck

Old 11-09-2017, 08:12 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I like the approach, hope it works for you. You won't need to offer it to the public, if it works HD will just steal the design. Good luck
They wouldn’t have to steal it, I would gladly give it to them. Even with all their ineptness I think they would have the assets to do it better than I will be able to do it. I just wonder if I can get the dealer to install it for me, would hate to put it in myself and then end up with a sumping problem and have my warranty rescinded.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:16 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

They wouldn’t have to steal it, I would gladly give it to them. Even with all their ineptness I think they would have the assets to do it better than I will be able to do it. I just wonder if I can get the dealer to install it for me, would hate to put it in myself and then end up with a sumping problem and have my warranty rescinded.
It would have to be approved by HD to keep the warranty.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:41 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,154 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Any concern with deterioration/wear or movement of the rubber seal?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:35 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Any concern with deterioration/wear or movement of the rubber seal?
Not that I can ascertain. The seal is made for this type of service. As long as the cover is machined well and the nut is machined well it ought to hold up as well as any seal in the transmission.

Specifications
Shaft diameter:
1.0625 in
Casing:
Without Inner Case
Outside diameter:
2.0625 in
Pressure tolerance:
90 psi @ 0 fpm
Width:
0.2500 in
Construction description:
Single Lip, Spring Loaded Without Inner Case
Lip material:
Nitrile
Continuous temperature range:
-40 to 250°F
Design type:
CRW1
Misalignment tolerance:
Size Dependent, Refer to the 457010 Catalog
Seal type:
Single Lip with Spring
Typical application:
Engines, Axles, Transmissions, Pumps, Motors, Speed Reducers, Many Other Industrial Uses.
Maximum shaft surface speed:
2000 fpm
Weight:
0.07 lb

The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (11-13-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:44 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I wish Stoned the best of luck! I have been following his thought path. But there is one thing I don't get and this is why. A ball bearing will unload be it oil or greased lubed through the path of least resistance. And that path is it's self to the lower side of pressure. We know the leak path is through the shaft with the actuator rod. The lip seal will fail. If it's made out of Buna it will be quick. It should be at least Viton. Teflon would be better but it will groove the shaft much faster. Thus failure. Lip seals at best are for contaminate protection. I'm not getting it....

Old 11-09-2017, 07:23 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by psyshack
I wish Stoned the best of luck! I have been following his thought path. But there is one thing I don't get and this is why. A ball bearing will unload be it oil or greased lubed through the path of least resistance. And that path is it's self to the lower side of pressure. We know the leak path is through the shaft with the actuator rod. The lip seal will fail. If it's made out of Buna it will be quick. It should be at least Viton. Teflon would be better but it will groove the shaft much faster. Thus failure. Lip seals at best are for contaminate protection. I'm not getting it....
It may well fail. It is made of nitrile which has a very good resistance to oil. It will be running on a grade 8 nut milled down to a sealing surface so it shouldn’t groove too quickly, but if it does another can be machined. The other side of the transmission has a seal on the output shaft that seems to hold up pretty well. I’m not aware of many failures of those seals. What it boils down to is at least I’m looking for a solution. Granted it is the MOCO’s responsibility to find one, but I’m not going to sit around for a couple years with a bike I can’t ride the way I would like to, so this is where I’m at.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:46 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

It may well fail. It is made of nitrile which has a very good resistance to oil. It will be running on a grade 8 nut milled down to a sealing surface so it shouldn’t groove too quickly, but if it does another can be machined. The other side of the transmission has a seal on the output shaft that seems to hold up pretty well. I’m not aware of many failures of those seals. What it boils down to is at least I’m looking for a solution. Granted it is the MOCO’s responsibility to find one, but I’m not going to sit around for a couple years with a bike I can’t ride the way I would like to, so this is where I’m at.
I don't want to see failure on your part. I just don't see how the bearing is pumping anything into the primary. That's not what bearings do.

My solution is Baker. I have no warranty. And it's clear to me HD hasn't a clue.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?