Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 07:47 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,377 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Check mine again today, both levels right where they were before so far.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:09 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

checked mine again today, been 3K miles since trans and primary fluid change and no transfer of fluids, I only ran it up to 4K rpm's briefly from time to time..as much as I hate the thought of having a self imposed 'governor' so to speak..I've found it to be very powerful and enjoying to ride short shifting and taking advantage of the abundance of torque...not really missing wringing the snot out of it 4-5K like I had been to be honest..touring bike and all, not it's strength or how they're intended to be ridden

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 05:51 AM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Not theory at this point in time. Real world testing is happening here. The fluid transfer has been greatly reduced but I did not stop it all, and short of that, it's not a fix in my book. I see no reason to get peoples hopes up that I have a fix when what I really have at this point in time is a great improvement. I hope to be able to get it back apart next week sometime and make more changes, then test again. If and when I can stop it, I will let people know. This was just a progress report like I said I would give earlier.
Steve, sounds like some awesome testing and possibly some light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you for the update!

I know you are looking for a final solution before you share....... can you at least share your thoughts on rather or not folks getting a new transmission is going to fix the problem? I surely would not want to have my transmission yanked if it doesn't fix the problem. Thoughts?

MotoJockey (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:32 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Macrunner
Steve, sounds like some awesome testing and possibly some light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you for the update!

I know you are looking for a final solution before you share....... can you at least share your thoughts on rather or not folks getting a new transmission is going to fix the problem? I surely would not want to have my transmission yanked if it doesn't fix the problem. Thoughts?
If they changed nothing, I would not expect the transfer problem to change any. By that I mean if they pull a trans and replace it with the same over again I would not expect much if anything to change.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
If they changed nothing, I would not expect the transfer problem to change any. By that I mean if they pull a trans and replace it with the same over again I would not expect much if anything to change.
Thank you, that is what I meant. I read a page or two back a forum member was having their tranny replace for this. If the solution great. But if just a test, I'd hate to have mine ripped out (does the engine needed pulled to get to the tranny?).

As for rather or not they have a fix, I'd hate to know they have a fix yet me (and so many others) are being lead down this path of "watch" mode where they know it's happen yet they are monitoring just how bad is it.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:41 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,271 Likes on 4,441 Posts

Originally Posted by Macrunner
As for rather or not they have a fix, I'd hate to know they have a fix yet me (and so many others) are being lead down this path of "watch" mode where they know it's happen yet they are monitoring just how bad is it.
Sadly, that's probably how it works.....

That's what they did for the auto primary chain adjuster. The first 3 years of the auto primary chain adjuster ('07-'09) it was #39929-06A and there were many reports of it over tightening the primary chain, sometimes causing collateral damage. They made changes to the ramp teeth, etc., for the '10 and up adjuster, #39929-06B, and there were far fewer, if any, complaints of it over tightening the primary chain... to my knowledge nothing was done to rid prior bikes of the 06A adjuster...

The bean counters are watching..... if the trans losing oil to the pimary, causes warranty replaced transmission failures or primary issues, I suspect it would be worth their while (read, cost..$) to have it fixed retroactively....

I'm still on track to buy a new M8 in spring of '18... but this issue has caught my attention....

Macrunner (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 11:26 AM
RoadHog2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a new bulletin out on the oil cooled M8 engines/bikes. Has something to do with a leaking clamp and oil getting on rear wheel that could cause and accident. I went to the dealer and asked about my bike, I have the 2017 RGU with water cooled engine, no issues for me. It is only the oil cooled models. Road Hog out....

Old 06-19-2017, 11:30 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog2
There is a new bulletin out on the oil cooled M8 engines/bikes. Has something to do with a leaking clamp and oil getting on rear wheel that could cause and accident. I went to the dealer and asked about my bike, I have the 2017 RGU with water cooled engine, no issues for me. It is only the oil cooled models. Road Hog out....
Yes, it's been posted about many times. But that has nothing to do with this thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog2
You should still check your hose clamps. It was found on those bikes, and mine was not affected, but these clamps are put on by humans and any bike that uses the clamps could have had them incorrectly clamped. It is too easy to check yourself.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:43 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebolter
You should still check your hose clamps. It was found on those bikes, and mine was not affected, but these clamps are put on by humans and any bike that uses the clamps could have had them incorrectly clamped. It is too easy to check yourself.
Twin-cooled bikes like the RGU do not have an oil cooler. However, those that do have an oil cooler should heed your advice...

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?