Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 06:10 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
All of the different styles of vents/breathers I have used DO NOT have a check valve built in, thus they flow in both directions.......and if there was an oil mist or oil present, yes it can pass thru. If you mount one of these up near the top of the primary than I would think no oil should pass thru it, but its only a guess. Seems as though most of the oil is around the clutch plates or within the chain...again just a guess.

There are different shapes and sizes, the vented area is like a sintered bronze material, the pic of the one I listed has the vented area protected by the housing, some extend past the housing and can be broken or damaged by impact.....

Good Luck, let us know how ya make out!

Eagle Out

I would think that thing would leak like a sieve mounted anywhere on the primary.

Sure the oil in the primary is down around the bottom of the clutch basket and the chain... But that's when it's not running. Crank that baby up and the oil is flying!

Old 11-07-2017, 06:18 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I would think that thing would leak like a sieve mounted anywhere on the primary.

Sure the oil in the primary is down around the bottom of the clutch basket and the chain... But that's when it's not running. Crank that baby up and the oil is flying!
Well you may be right, agree for sure if the breather was BELOW the oil level, I think that if above the level, yes a small amount of mist may weep out. Our air supply lines have inline lubricators so a small amount of oil is injected into the cylinders and such for lube. We really do not have any oil residue to speak of on the breathers. Maybe more mist would create more vented out. I think the OP was looking at this as only a test and not a fix......still think it may be worth a try to see if letting pressure out or vac in resolves the transfer issue.....you go STONEY!

Eagle Out

Old 11-07-2017, 07:04 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenL808
I compared the transmission parts list between a 2016 FLHTK and 2017 FLHTK. Both are hydraulic clutch systems. I found that all the gears and shafts are the same part numbers on both models. The only difference is the transmission case.

So one now has to wonder, if the internal components are the same between 2016 and 2017, why are only the 2017s having this issue and why not all 2017s??
Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Steven, I agree as to why only some 17s and not all, pretty much has everyone scratching their heads including the MOCO. I thought that 1st gear was different for some reason....scissor gear? Please note that TA0022 list touring bikes from 2014 and up with hydraulic clutches as ones that can have this issue. Been noted that we have not heard of many 14-16 models with this problem on the forums....

Eagle Out
Both of you need to go back and read my post #2265! There are a few differences including different cases, first gear, and the mainshaft bearing.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:02 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Here is the second trip to the dealer. Here are the parts they replaced. I'm leaving on a trip Monday. Will find out pretty quick it didn't work. And the beat goes on.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:03 PM
StevenL808
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999
Here is the second trip to the dealer. Here are the parts they replaced. I'm leaving on a trip Monday. Will find out pretty quick it didn't work. And the beat goes on.

I hope it works for you. These same parts were replaced on my bike and I still had the issue. In fact, it made it worse. Instead of having to add after 500 miles, the fluid didn't even register on the dipstick after only 260 miles.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999

Ben there done that............ carry oil with you if you plan to go for a long trip. Next is some new top secret part that didn't work for me that the rep put in. I hope you have better luck than I and others are having with there supposed fixes.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:05 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Have oil will travel. This will only be around a three thousand mile run.
Will be just like the run I toke in June. What a pain in the *** this bike has become. I really like the bike, except for this issue.
I'll take it back again after the trip, I'm sure.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:09 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Ben there done that............ carry oil with you if you plan to go for a long trip. Next is some new top secret part that didn't work for me that the rep put in. I hope you have better luck than I and others are having with there supposed fixes.
Well this just means he's that much closer to the real fix. Like yours, that's when they tell you transfer is normal. Maybe you can ask them if it's normal why do they keep attempting to fix other peoples bikes with the problem?

Old 11-08-2017, 02:19 PM
StevenL808
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If anyone is interested, I have my own thread there I am posting updates on my experiences with this issue. It can be found here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...errerid=260476

Old 11-08-2017, 08:53 PM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have demoed three m8s and wish I had the funds to own one of these fantastic machines.
Understand the frustration of oil tranfer but it maybe a long time until there is a moco fix. If I
was so fortunate to own one I would remove the durby cover pull out clutch rod take a flash light look into mainshaft measure a depth for oring groove chock pushrod in drill and dremel small groove go to harbor frieght get oring kit test a oring in groove that fits smoothly install and ride the bike. If there becomes any leak in the primary which I highly doubt have the dealer fix the leak. If this leak really happens at that point I would vent from inner primary just below shiftshaft and run hose back and up frame high than back down below trans.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?