Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

I probably wont be around in 50 years......... Checked my fluids on saturday, all is well. Guess im one of the lucky ones. Love my bike..... love it.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:12 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Mine is still transferring. Checked it Friday evening in prep for a Talimena Dr. run on Saturday. Found it well below the low mark, still on the stick. Found 4 oz. in the primary. Refilled and made the Talimena Dr. run Saturday. Checked it Sunday morning. 1.5 oz. low for a 350 mile ride. Found the fluid in the primary. I keep Amsoil 20-50 in all three holes now. Transfer away you hunk of junk.

The Talimena Dr. run was over all a very slow one for us. And was a bust. The mountain was socked in, road covered with snot with hundreds of bikes in a very slow roll mode. It was hard to have a good time going to the mountain and leaving it. There were so many bikes out. Loud and stupid slow became the norm for the day. I did get in a few 100 mph pass's. Get one 55 mph group passed just to run into one after another. We did get to see some color and at least run the speed limits and above a tad on old hwy 71 between Mena and Fort Smith. Then fresh road patch's and paint stripe crews ruined that. Getting back to Fort Smith, then crossing back over into Okiehoma we picked up I-40 and ran 75 to 80 mph to Henryetta Ok.

I don't know if high speeds. Like a Road King really knows what high speeds are. Or is it fast shifter work with it's none slipper clutch. Which really isn't fast. More like engaging and disengaging a PTO on a tractor. Or what causes the transfer.

We came across several folks that are having to live with the transfer issue, Sumping issues and oil pump issues. All had bought there last Harley. Some were on there last ride on the junker Harleys. So beware there will be junkers on the used market. I fear there will be a lot of them on the used market by next summer. Don't count on our early M8's being worth anything until there at least 50 years old.
So you actually got to talk in person with guys having this issue? Wow, I talked to everyone I could this summer and they all loved the M8, I don't think any of them was aware of the problem and I didn't want to bring it up because they was so happy.
From what you said sounds like people are starting to catch on now. Sad.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:22 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
The quick answer to this, and I'm only repeating what my SM told me the other day, is yes....... it's been tried already....... by MoCo none the less. As far as the results, we don't know.....YET.... (see below). But venting the primary is NOT the fix. It's only troubleshooting data to help determine if the tranny fluid is being sucked into the primary, or pushed into the primary, that's all. If you break the vacuum with a vent and it still transfers, it's being pushed into it. Then they'll know whether to concentrate on the input side or the output side of the primary. I'm leaning towards the pushed theory......
I'm aware that it is a diagnostic data point. However, I believe it is an important one. In my mind, it almost has to be a vacuum being present, as there is nothing creating a significant pressurization of the transmission compared to the primary. Both are heating and expanding under operation, even heavy operation, and venting between the two should be adequate to equalize pressures.

If, OTOH, a vent to atmosphere from the primary solves the migration, then I'd be looking at a) how MUCH vacuum is being pulled (could be measured at the primary vent), and how can this vacuum be reduced (as a solution to the problem).

If it DOESN'T solve the problem, that means either 1) there IS pressure being created in the transmission in excess of what is expected or 2) the fluid is transferring by mechanical means (i.e. oil slung and/or migrating due to the motion of the transmission and/or primary).

Just thinking out loud here...

Old 11-06-2017, 11:19 AM
StevenL808
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default UPDATE: No solution....yet

After the first round of the "Drain, fill, ride for 1000 mile" suggestion, I went back to the dealer after only 260 miles with no trans oil registering on the dipstick. This is after they already did the TA00022 bulletin at 1,900 miles. They said they are going to call the Motor Company again to see what's next.

The GM of the dealership happens to walk in and sees me there. He is aware of the issue and asks if I've already ridden the suggested 1000 miles. I told him I only got to 260 miles. He said that's ridiculous and that he was going to make some phone calls.

He called me the following day say that he told the motor company that his dealership nor his customer (me) was going to be their experiment case. There is something seriously wrong when the gearbox is practically dry after only 260 miles. He suggested that they send a new motor and they can experiment on my old one. He is waiting for a response.

Stay tuned...

Now, I have a theory. I believe the problem is with the clutch release rod. It's the only piece that goes from the gearbox to the primary by way of the bored out shaft. While it could be a design flaw or a faulty part, why is it that not everyone is experiencing this problem? It seems to be hit an miss. I think it may have to do with how the bike is being ridden. My bike is my daily commuter bike. I'm not in stop-and-go traffic, but I do a lot of shifting. Which means a lot of clutch action or holding in the clutch at a traffic light.

My theory is all M8 motors will do some transfer with a pull of the clutch. It's the riders who do doing more clutch action are the ones experiencing a greater transfer because of the faulty clutch release rod. With each pull of the clutch it's transferring a very small amount of fluid. Think of it this way; I have a bulb pump. Squeezing the pump once every 10 miles transfers a little bit of fluid. But squeezing the pump once every mile, I will have 10 times more fluid transfer after the same 10 mile run. Riders who only squeeze the pump once every 10 miles won't notice the transfer as they are changing their fluid before they reach the same amount of pumps as those squeezing every mile. Just my theory.

The following 3 users liked this post by StevenL808:
GPHDXLC (11-06-2017), PA1195 (11-06-2017), sixguns (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 06:22 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
So you actually got to talk in person with guys having this issue? Wow, I talked to everyone I could this summer and they all loved the M8, I don't think any of them was aware of the problem and I didn't want to bring it up because they was so happy.
From what you said sounds like people are starting to catch on now. Sad.
Yes people know about, are dealing with it like us and the other problems M8's have that HD can't seem to fix.

Whats even worse than us that ride and deal with the issues are the poor sot's that buy a new M8 and haven't ridden them enough to keep the battery up. The joke in one group I came across was they hadn't ridden there brand new 2017 M8's enough since purchase to keep the battery charged up. Many in one group had let there battery's go flat in there M8's. And this being Oklahoma many in there group jump started there bikes to get them going for the weekends ride. There comments were along the lines of " I thought these new M8's had a better charging system." A group of riders like that will be the gents that do run the transmission out of oil and grind it up or ride it into the ground sumping or yeah don't all Harleys rattle like they have no oil in them as the oil pump fails. How many of those folks do you think really did a preride check on there new M8 Touring class bikes. I bet 50% of the bikes I saw had low tires. In the hands of owners like that many will get a very ugly surprise one day when they think they have a world class touring bike and all hell breaks loose.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 07:03 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Well, mine has been flawless. I can’t speak for anyone else......... I’m good

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:18 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Well, mine has been flawless. I can’t speak for anyone else......... I’m good
We get it dude........ we get it........ Do you join in on Prostrate Cancer Victim threads and constantly tell them, "I'm good! My *** is flawless! I'm one of the lucky ones! I love my ***....... love it!", twice a day?

Just curious........

The following 3 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
103Eagle (11-07-2017), CR3999 (11-07-2017), ocezam (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

We get it dude........ we get it........ Do you join in on Prostrate Cancer Victim threads and constantly tell them, "I'm good! My *** is flawless! I'm one of the lucky ones! I love my ***....... love it!", twice a day?

Just curious........

Old 11-06-2017, 11:54 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Just curious........
I do appreciate what you’re saying here and I understand your fatigue with his theme, but hey, at LEAST he has an M8! There’s few that post on this and the other transfer threads that don’t have a dog in the fight that really irk me!

Old 11-07-2017, 05:08 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Guy's this problem has been going on since 2014 it clearly states in the TA . Most people
drain the fluids and never check. My problem is I run a tranny specific fluid that is bad for clutch plates. So did I cause clutch damage long term do to migration issue? I want to thank you guys for posting what you do . I'm pissed HD had a fix for 2014 and never issued a TA before the M8 problems.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?