Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 08:33 AM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

[QUOTE=jpooch00;16796248]It just seems to me that if they look at what they changed in the trannys and/or primaries in '17, then that"s what started causing the problem.

QUOTE]

Maybe they already did that. If its not a design problem then a faulty part, process, or assembly method is causing it. That'd make it tougher to find but it would also explain why there are a lot of bikes out there with no fluid migration at all.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 10:13 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Did anyone ever try venting the primary to atmosphere to see if this alleviates the vacuum and therefore the transfer? Just curious.

GPHDXLC (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 01:10 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
Did anyone ever try venting the primary to atmosphere to see if this alleviates the vacuum and therefore the transfer? Just curious.
The quick answer to this, and I'm only repeating what my SM told me the other day, is yes....... it's been tried already....... by MoCo none the less. As far as the results, we don't know.....YET.... (see below). But venting the primary is NOT the fix. It's only troubleshooting data to help determine if the tranny fluid is being sucked into the primary, or pushed into the primary, that's all. If you break the vacuum with a vent and it still transfers, it's being pushed into it. Then they'll know whether to concentrate on the input side or the output side of the primary. I'm leaning towards the pushed theory......

So, this is what happened at the dealer the other day.......Apparently, a MoCo Tech contacted my SM about about my bike. I am sure it was triggered by my opening that case last week with Customer Service about all this. Or maybe because my SM had called Tech Support 2 weeks ago telling them that the Seal/Spacer fix did not work on my bike and wanted further instructions. Or maybe a combination of the two, either way, the bottom line is that MoCo is sending out their Western Regional Guru Wizard Tech to bond one on one with my bike for a few days and see what he can do. The Senior Tech in my Service Dept said that he has worked with this Guru guy in the past and that he's GOOD. He also said that he will want to sit down with him, me, and the SM and find out what he can from all of us first and then try to work his magic. While my SM was talking with this Tech guy on the phone, he mentioned that he and I really wanted to try venting the upper back side of the inner primary to see if the migration stops. The Tech said that it has already been tried but didn't tell my SM what the outcome was. So, either he or I will ask the Guru, whenever he gets here, what was determined after they did it. Again, it's not the fix, just a tool. The other thing that was ask/discussed was, what about changing the hydro clutch out back to a cable. The tech got real quiet for a few seconds, (like the,"I can't talk about that right now cause it's a secret", type of quiet), and did a slight diversionary topic change. The point is, this Guru feels the need to lay hands on my bike and see what he can glom off of it in an effort to get this thing fixed. It appears that he will probably spend a few days with it and them make some sort of determination about the whole situation. Try some sort of a 3rd, (and final, as far as I'm concerned), fix, swap out the entire motor/tranny for a new Stage IV, swap out the entire bike with a ?????, or just do a flat out buy back and I wait a few years for a '19 or '20 that is "Everything to Everyone". We don't know how soon the Guru will be here, he hasn't called yet to set up an appointment. When he does, the SM will call me so they can get my bike and me over there for him to get started. I'll know more later.......

So, "HD isn't doing anything to try and fix this problem", or, "MoCo is just waiting until everybody's warranty has expired so they don't have to pay to fix it", or, "Moco Engineers are just waiting until someone on this site, or another site, figures out the answer so they can just steal it", is all crap. They know about the issue, (read TA0022), have made their dealerships aware of it, (read TA0022), and are trying SOMETHING to fix the problem, (Read full tranny swap outs and spacer/seal swap outs). Are they being cautiously slow and trying to play the best hand they have? Of course they are, they're a huge business with a huge problem. Their sales are suffering, their new M8 is suffering, their main customer base is getting old and dying, so yeah, they better play this game to the best of their ability!

OK, all you Negative Nancy Naysayers please feel free to jump in on this post..... and me................wait............NOW!

The following 7 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
$tonecold (11-04-2017), Birdog (11-04-2017), DaddyKnuck (11-05-2017), FM500 (11-05-2017), G'day (12-13-2017), GPHDXLC (11-04-2017), SWMB (11-04-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-04-2017, 01:31 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
The quick answer to this, and I'm only repeating what my SM told me the other day, is yes....... it's been tried already....... by MoCo none the less. As far as the results, we don't know.....YET.... (see below). But venting the primary is NOT the fix. It's only troubleshooting data to help determine if the tranny fluid is being sucked into the primary, or pushed into the primary, that's all. If you break the vacuum with a vent and it still transfers, it's being pushed into it. Then they'll know whether to concentrate on the input side or the output side of the primary. I'm leaning towards the pushed theory......

So, this is what happened at the dealer the other day.......Apparently, a MoCo Tech contacted my SM about about my bike. I am sure it was triggered by my opening that case last week with Customer Service about all this. Or maybe because my SM had called Tech Support 2 weeks ago telling them that the Seal/Spacer fix did not work on my bike and wanted further instructions. Or maybe a combination of the two, either way, the bottom line is that MoCo is sending out their Western Regional Guru Wizard Tech to bond one on one with my bike for a few days and see what he can do. The Senior Tech in my Service Dept said that he has worked with this Guru guy in the past and that he's GOOD. He also said that he will want to sit down with him, me, and the SM and find out what he can from all of us first and then try to work his magic. While my SM was talking with this Tech guy on the phone, he mentioned that he and I really wanted to try venting the upper back side of the inner primary to see if the migration stops. The Tech said that it has already been tried but didn't tell my SM what the outcome was. So, either he or I will ask the Guru, whenever he gets here, what was determined after they did it. Again, it's not the fix, just a tool. The other thing that was ask/discussed was, what about changing the hydro clutch out back to a cable. The tech got real quiet for a few seconds, (like the,"I can't talk about that right now cause it's a secret", type of quiet), and did a slight diversionary topic change. The point is, this Guru feels the need to lay hands on my bike and see what he can glom off of it in an effort to get this thing fixed. It appears that he will probably spend a few days with it and them make some sort of determination about the whole situation. Try some sort of a 3rd, (and final, as far as I'm concerned), fix, swap out the entire motor/tranny for a new Stage IV, swap out the entire bike with a ?????, or just do a flat out buy back and I wait a few years for a '19 or '20 that is "Everything to Everyone". We don't know how soon the Guru will be here, he hasn't called yet to set up an appointment. When he does, the SM will call me so they can get my bike and me over there for him to get started. I'll know more later.......

So, "HD isn't doing anything to try and fix this problem", or, "MoCo is just waiting until everybody's warranty has expired so they don't have to pay to fix it", or, "Moco Engineers are just waiting until someone on this site, or another site, figures out the answer so they can just steal it", is all crap. They know about the issue, (read TA0022), have made their dealerships aware of it, (read TA0022), and are trying SOMETHING to fix the problem, (Read full tranny swap outs and spacer/seal swap outs). Are they being cautiously slow and trying to play the best hand they have? Of course they are, they're a huge business with a huge problem. Their sales are suffering, their new M8 is suffering, their main customer base is getting old and dying, so yeah, they better play this game to the best of their ability!

OK, all you Negative Nancy Naysayers please feel free to jump in on this post..... and me................wait............NOW!
appreciate you relaying your personal experience with this thus far..the hardest part for me to wrap my head around is this apparently is rocket science for them.N Korea will successfully arm an ICMB that can be accurately delivered in the amount of time this will take to resolve..just seems like the Mothership could have got their hands on Steve Cole's bike with obvious/chronic repeatable transfer, pooled their engineers to isolate themselves and not come out until they determine root cause..or like some speculation here, maybe they actually know what the problem is and there's a lot of moving pieces to the puzzle on how to address the problem with the minimal amount of $$, avoid bad press and Brand impact

edit: and of course the scenario that they just aren't seeing transmission and primary failure warranty claims enough to warrant anything more than to stay the course with TSB's or whatever and not open a can of worms

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-04-2017 at 01:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
MotoJockey (11-04-2017), ocezam (11-06-2017), Steve Helton (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 01:33 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey

Well at least it sounds like you’re getting some results. My offer still stands. The tech may want to try it. I can have it to you by the end of next week.

MotoJockey (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 02:08 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Well at least it sounds like you’re getting some results. My offer still stands. The tech may want to try it. I can have it to you by the end of next week.
Thanks Mark....... always good to have options!

Old 11-04-2017, 03:56 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Sorry, maybe a dumb question, but is it possible for us.....me...to pull up this service bulletin somewhere? TA0022 I mean.

I just scheduled my 5000 service for next week. I was adamant about them checking for the transfer issue as I had mentioned it was happening back at my 2500 mile service. I told the SW on the phone that i knew about the bulletin. I'd like to have a copy or at least a link to pull up ready in the holster should they try to deny it exists.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:13 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Sorry, maybe a dumb question, but is it possible for us.....me...to pull up this service bulletin somewhere? TA0022 I mean.

I just scheduled my 5000 service for next week. I was adamant about them checking for the transfer issue as I had mentioned it was happening back at my 2500 mile service. I told the SW on the phone that i knew about the bulletin. I'd like to have a copy or at least a link to pull up ready in the holster should they try to deny it exists.
You can find it in post #28 of the Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin thread. Your dealer can also pull it up using TA0022. Basically if your transmission level is low they need to measure what they drain from the primary.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

This is for anyone taking a bike in for service. Make sure you get a copy of the service paperwork that has listed your concern/complaint about the fluid transfer. If it's not on the paperwork the MoCo will continue to deny it even though the service bulletin is out about it. Having it written on the service order gives you grounds to stand on that you told them if it needs to be resolved later.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
neon65 (11-04-2017), teedoff65 (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 08:06 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
You can find it in post #28 of the Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin thread. Your dealer can also pull it up using TA0022. Basically if your transmission level is low they need to measure what they drain from the primary.
Well crap. Not thinking I checked it at the first of this week. I wound up putting around 4 oz in so I guess mine won't register low when they do my service next week.

Should have left it low.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?