Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Some information is leading to there maybe more than one parts supplier and the issue is related to one supplier. This happen with a lot Indian's they had oil pump issues and turned out be be cases from one of tier suppliers.
Defective case supplied by one manufacture would explain some having the issue others not.
That sounds like a very feasible explanation actually. Kinda like Samsung's Note 7 battery debacle. Only some of the batteries from different mfg's exploded into flames. But I'm just curious, by "Some information", what did you mean? Where did you get that "some information"? Come on man..... snitch out your informant, lol! It makes sense to me tho.......

Old 06-18-2017, 11:27 AM
fwj
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Had the bike at the dealer approx 1000miles ago, complaining about the trans fluid moving into the primary. They drained the trans and the primary and filled it to the correct level. He said most probably it's the vent, but I don't know what he exactly did beside the oil change while I was waiting for the bike (they didn't let me in the shop). They worked on it for approx 1 hour and fact is, that since then no fluid left the trans. Strange.

The following users liked this post:
FM500 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 12:30 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Just read through this thread. Checked my dipstick per owner's manual. No fluid on it at all. Added about 10 oz or so of Formula+ and it's right at the middle of the add/full mark now. Put the bike up on the lift. Removed the derby cover and only got about 2-3 oz out with the bike level. Now I'm not sure what to think.

Bike has about 3200 miles on it. I let the dealer do the 1000 mile. Never checked fluids maybe they didn't fill the trans well enough but that seems unlikely. Weird that the trans was 10 oz low but the primary only 2-3 oz over.

Not sure of my build date (how do you check?) but the date will be very early. I bought the bike three days after they were released last August.

I'll be watching this VERY closely for the next few weeks. Man I'm glad I read the thread. Thanks to all who posted.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
We are all in suspense over this. You are not ready to let the cat out of the bag yet regarding where the problem is are you? My guess is that at this point it is all theory and you are going to keep testing until you can prove it before you announce to the world what the problem is.
Not theory at this point in time. Real world testing is happening here. The fluid transfer has been greatly reduced but I did not stop it all, and short of that, it's not a fix in my book. I see no reason to get peoples hopes up that I have a fix when what I really have at this point in time is a great improvement. I hope to be able to get it back apart next week sometime and make more changes, then test again. If and when I can stop it, I will let people know. This was just a progress report like I said I would give earlier.

Max Headflow (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 01:05 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ocezam
Just read through this thread. Checked my dipstick per owner's manual. No fluid on it at all. Added about 10 oz or so of Formula+ and it's right at the middle of the add/full mark now. Put the bike up on the lift. Removed the derby cover and only got about 2-3 oz out with the bike level. Now I'm not sure what to think.

Bike has about 3200 miles on it. I let the dealer do the 1000 mile. Never checked fluids maybe they didn't fill the trans well enough but that seems unlikely. Weird that the trans was 10 oz low but the primary only 2-3 oz over.

Not sure of my build date (how do you check?) but the date will be very early. I bought the bike three days after they were released last August.

I'll be watching this VERY closely for the next few weeks. Man I'm glad I read the thread. Thanks to all who posted.
ocezam, I don't think you'll get an accurate overfill/transfer measurement determined by measuring what overflowed out of your clutch inspection hole when you removed the derby cover. Pull the drain plug, drain it into a catch pan, and measure exactly how much fluid you got out of it. I think you'll find the other 7-8 oz there. Try not to use the wife's good measuring cup tho, they frown on that.......

Old 06-18-2017, 01:14 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
ocezam, I don't think you'll get an accurate overfill/transfer measurement determined by measuring what overflowed out of your clutch inspection hole when you removed the derby cover. Pull the drain plug, drain it into a catch pan, and measure exactly how much fluid you got out of it. I think you'll find the other 7-8 oz there. Try not to use the wife's good measuring cup tho, they frown on that.......
Thanks for the advice. You're probably correct. Figure 68 on page 158 of the owners manual show proper level approx 1/4" below the derby opening. I guess I'll open it again and suck some out.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:21 PM
ocezam
Road Master

MotoJockey. You mind telling us what dealership is taking care of your new tranny?

bomtek44 (09-22-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 01:31 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ocezam
MotoJockey. You mind telling us what dealership is taking care of your new tranny?
No problem...... HD of Fresno. Great group of guys over there and they have really taken good care of me. Even AFTER the original purchase, lol. JK, can't say enough about these guys, seriously.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:40 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

All this makes me wonder why the M8 didn't go with shared primary and transmission like the sportsters.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:52 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by lewk
All this makes me wonder why the M8 didn't go with shared primary and transmission like the sportsters.
Hard to do though it would work.. They'd have to swap the pulley to other side of the bike. Big job. Lots of stuff would change.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?