Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 05:20 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by PA1195
By May 2018 HD will be well into final design for the 2019 model year and gearing for production. They'll have had a run of 2018's to dissect and evaluate plus warranty feedback. That's what really affects major change across lines...warranty claims that get expensive especially when the word spreads among dealers and potential buyers. My best guess anyway.
They had the whole 2017 and so far the 2018 model year to correct the problem, yet they have failed to do so.

The following 2 users liked this post by harleytuner:
GPHDXLC (10-29-2017), Steve Helton (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 07:27 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
They had the whole 2017 and so far the 2018 model year to correct the problem, yet they have failed to do so.
Yes I agree. And maybe they'll fix it soon, later, or never via only changes to fluid specs. Until someone gets past the dealer firewall and has a direct meaningful conversation with an engineer who knows the status and importance to HD these problems present this issue will continue to fester.

My point is if they're going to do a major redesign it'll likely show in the 2019 models. I don't know if it'll be retroactive unless warranty or dealer maintenance claims become expensive. Right now adding Formula+ is a cheap fix for HD until the warranty lapses.

Edit: How about someone who has a problem giving this fellow a call and ask about what he knows: https://www.youtube.com/user/zeallistic

Then see if these two engineers are still doing engines:

Someone might even contact this engineer from the above vid and ask WZUP in a professional manner: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-merrill-51154645

Last edited by PA1195; 10-29-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:37 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I have no idea how many impotent friends I have. We really don't talk about that thank goodness.
if you buy lunch, you can talk about whatever you want...but NOT about that

seriously, if you are scooting to work tomorrow, ring me up, wanna talk to you in person about your situation before I take mine for 1k service.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:25 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctd
if you buy lunch, you can talk about whatever you want...but NOT about that

seriously, if you are scooting to work tomorrow, ring me up, wanna talk to you in person about your situation before I take mine for 1k service.
RGR. All I can tell you at the moment is that mine transfers about half of the trans under 2000 miles.
I'm not freaking about it though. Figure HD will fix it and if they don't, I'll just ask one of the 2 bazillon engineers walking around work to take a shot.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:21 AM
twosailin
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

First, I am sorry for those that have this problem. I have only had Harleys for the past fifty years. I would really like to have one of the M8s but will not buy one until this problem is solved! I also relay all this info to friends, even thinking of purchasing one.
This AM I called HD customer service (8002582464 or 4143434056) to let them know how I feel about this. For what it is worth I think others that are delaying their next purchase to let them know why. I think the loyal customers here deserve better treatment and a real fix!..............John

Old 10-30-2017, 12:20 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

I just called the MoCo had to go through 2 people to get to the right one, but it went fast and it was easy. They was very nice as I was to them. He had to look up TA0022, he found it but he didn't know much about it. I told him I will not buy a new Harley that transfers transmission oil in to the primary. I also said to him in a calm nice way that I don't like the MoCo saying now that some transfer is normal. I told him I won't buy a bike that could transfer oil from one side and have to refill it then go over to the other side and drain it back out, I find this ridiculous. He was nice and understanding. He looked it up and seen I had a 14 King, I told him how much I love the bike, and if the MoCo will not fix the transfer problem, I will just keep mine and put my money in to my 14 and keep this one. He said he would be sure that my concerns will get to the engineering department, he said they work on stuff like this every day. All in all it was a pleasant call, I hope he took it seriously.
Would be good for us if more people called them with this concern.

The following users liked this post:
borrec (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 12:47 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I just called the MoCo had to go through 2 people to get to the right one, but it went fast and it was easy. They was very nice as I was to them. He had to look up TA0022, he found it but he didn't know much about it. I told him I will not buy a new Harley that transfers transmission oil in to the primary. I also said to him in a calm nice way that I don't like the MoCo saying now that some transfer is normal. I told him I won't buy a bike that could transfer oil from one side and have to refill it then go over to the other side and drain it back out, I find this ridiculous. He was nice and understanding. He looked it up and seen I had a 14 King, I told him how much I love the bike, and if the MoCo will not fix the transfer problem, I will just keep mine and put my money in to my 14 and keep this one. He said he would be sure that my concerns will get to the engineering department, he said they work on stuff like this every day. All in all it was a pleasant call, I hope he took it seriously.
Would be good for us if more people called them with this concern.
I'm surprised that when he looked up your bike he didn't tell you that you already owned a bike that was subject to this problem. If you're not experiencing this problem, you are in the same boat as us M8 owners that don't have the problem.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:21 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
I'm surprised that when he looked up your bike he didn't tell you that you already owned a bike that was subject to this problem. If you're not experiencing this problem, you are in the same boat as us M8 owners that don't have the problem.
I don't think he had time to read the TA0022, he had never seen it until I had him look it up. He did say he had heard something about it the transferring but he didn't seem to know much. I have a cable clutch on my 14 King, I don't think they do it. I'm at 40,000 miles and my Transmission oil never goes down. I told that guy that's the way it should be and when I see they have a real fix, I will start shopping for a new Harley. If there is no fix by the 19 model year then I'm putting all my money in to my 14 and keep it.
I find this entire thing very sad.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:26 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

Was the 14 Road King included in TA0022? I thought it was only for the Rushmore bikes that had hydraulic clutches. I'm pretty sure that the Rushmore Road Kings had cable operated clutches.

GPHDXLC, guess I was typing as you were posting.

Last edited by 14GuineaPig; 10-30-2017 at 01:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 02:33 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I don't think he had time to read the TA0022, he had never seen it until I had him look it up. He did say he had heard something about it the transferring but he didn't seem to know much. I have a cable clutch on my 14 King, I don't think they do it. I'm at 40,000 miles and my Transmission oil never goes down. I told that guy that's the way it should be and when I see they have a real fix, I will start shopping for a new Harley. If there is no fix by the 19 model year then I'm putting all my money in to my 14 and keep it.
I find this entire thing very sad.
Great that you haven't experienced the problem...yet. Just kidding, that's what some of the boo birds told me when I mentioned that I hadn't had the problem in 15K+ miles. I believe I was told, "It's not if, it's when."

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
Was the 14 Road King included in TA0022? I thought it was only for the Rushmore bikes that had hydraulic clutches. I'm pretty sure that the Rushmore Road Kings had cable operated clutches.

GPHDXLC, guess I was typing as you were posting.
The 2014 FLHR, FLHRC and FLHRSE are among the bikes listed in TA0022.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?