Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:08 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
GPHDXLC - Calling HD customer service is a good idea. I'd be interested to hear how that conversation goes for you and I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

I was talking to a service manager friend of mine earlier today - his dealership has had only one claim of migration but he's waiting to hear from the MoCo what constitutes an "acceptable" amount of fluid transfer.
Acceptable amount!!! should be none. I will post what the Mo Co tells me, I know I must be calm and friendly when talking to them. hope they start to take this seriously. I would love a new M8 KIng.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:07 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

None of the techs at my local dealer had heard of this problem or seen it. I had the check my tranny while I was there and all was good. 10k miles with a stage 3 and no problems. I am planning on buying a second Harley as a commute vehicle since I am moving a long distance away, we will see how that bike performs.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:17 PM
Birdog
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrash3
None of the techs at my local dealer had heard of this problem or seen it. I had the check my tranny while I was there and all was good. 10k miles with a stage 3 and no problems. I am planning on buying a second Harley as a commute vehicle since I am moving a long distance away, we will see how that bike performs.
They haven't heard of this problem? Do dealers not get the technical service bulletins and technical advisories that the MoCo puts out? Aren't the dealers who the MoCo is communicating to with TSBs and TAs? TA0022 was put out by the MoCo in Sept advising the dealers what to do when customers bring their bikes in for this issue. How can dealers have never heard of this?

Old 10-28-2017, 09:41 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdog
They haven't heard of this problem? Do dealers not get the technical service bulletins and technical advisories that the MoCo puts out? Aren't the dealers who the MoCo is communicating to with TSBs and TAs? TA0022 was put out by the MoCo in Sept advising the dealers what to do when customers bring their bikes in for this issue. How can dealers have never heard of this?
Service bulletins that go out to vehicle dealers are not printed on paper and sent to them in the mail anymore. Today they are made available to dealers via their online accounts with the MOCO. If a service manager or mechanic does not review their online accounts daily they might easily miss seeing them until you call their attention to them. At least that is what they have told me.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:51 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Man this is a wee bit melodramatic.
I got to admit it dose come off that way when I re read it. But the truth is for me to go on after years of fun stores and lots of picks of all the great times I've had on my Harley, and with all my Harley friends , plus not one of them knows any thing about this. I'm going to get the 3rd degree from a lot of people.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:04 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Why broadcast what might hurt future sales?

My 2018 FLFB Fat Boy will be here this week but no riding until May. By then this will all be fixed.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:05 PM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Dealership said nothing wrong with my bike but they did put some dye it my trans oil.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:13 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Cool, then we are even.
I wouldn't expect you to..

Old 10-29-2017, 06:54 AM
Birdog
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
Service bulletins that go out to vehicle dealers are not printed on paper and sent to them in the mail anymore. Today they are made available to dealers via their online accounts with the MOCO. If a service manager or mechanic does not review their online accounts daily they might easily miss seeing them until you call their attention to them. At least that is what they have told me.
That sounds correct. And if it is correct it means that not only did this dealer not review their account daily, they didn't review it at all the entire month. This TA was sent out in September. I think it reflects poorly on dealerships that claim to be unaware of issues that the MoCo has issued advisories/bulletins on. Either they're not keeping current on important communications from the MoCo or they're playing dumb in order to continue selling new motorcycles. I am no expert on HD and HD Dealership relationships and I apologize if I'm missing something here. I likely am. But assuming the MoCo sends TAs and TSBs to dealers when they issue them, these are the only two options I can think of.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:55 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdog
That sounds correct. And if it is correct it means that not only did this dealer not review their account daily, they didn't review it at all the entire month. This TA was sent out in September. I think it reflects poorly on dealerships that claim to be unaware of issues that the MoCo has issued advisories/bulletins on. Either they're not keeping current on important communications from the MoCo or they're playing dumb in order to continue selling new motorcycles. I am no expert on HD and HD Dealership relationships and I apologize if I'm missing something here. I likely am. But assuming the MoCo sends TAs and TSBs to dealers when they issue them, these are the only two options I can think of.
I was at the dealer in Carson City yesterday and I went to the service department and asked the SW’s if they had heard about transfer. They said they had not had any problems with it. I made them aware of the TA and they didn’t seem surprised they had missed it, so I don’t think they go looking for them unless they are confronted with it. Something they did tell me was there has been a problem with I think he said the left side bearing on the TC transmission mainshaft so Harley is supposed to be redesigning the mainshaft. I pointed out the M8 uses the same mainshaft and he said “yeah “. Maybe their fix for transfer will be addressed by this. If so you would think they would at least say they’re working on it.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?