Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:01 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Wow. Shocking, well sort of.

All the marketing, new rider classes, and new designs; will not overcome this crap. And MOCO wonders why sales are off.

This really tragic; for M8 owners, the Harley brand, and American manufacturing.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 12:38 PM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

4700 miles on mine with no sign of transfer, had the stage 3 done about 700 miles ago & now its started transferring. Normally my riding style keeps it under 4K rpm, but since the stage 3 I've been up over the 4K range numerous times, so as been previously stated in this thread its got to be due to the increased rpm's !

Any pointers on how much fluid to add if its showing up at the bottom of the X ??

Old 10-28-2017, 03:44 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by paullavery
4700 miles on mine with no sign of transfer, had the stage 3 done about 700 miles ago & now its started transferring. Normally my riding style keeps it under 4K rpm, but since the stage 3 I've been up over the 4K range numerous times, so as been previously stated in this thread its got to be due to the increased rpm's !

Any pointers on how much fluid to add if its showing up at the bottom of the X ??
I put in 4 Oz.'s to bring it from the bottom of the "X" to the top........

The following users liked this post:
paullavery (10-29-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 04:39 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 367 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
The best we can do as a group is to get this information out over social media everywhere we can. This will warn others of the problems and HD's complete lack of caring about those of us that have already spent our money. My biggest fear is someone having a fatal accident due to a transmission locking up due to running low/dry. So far HD doesn't control that part of the media.
I'm a Harley guy and everyone I know understands that. I'm on Facebook and very well known for my happy Harley stories and pics. Now I feel the time has come for me to go public with this on Facebook. A lot of my friends are Harley guys, they will be shocked to see me post I will never buy a new Harley again. A lot of them have been thinking of getting a new Harley, including me, not now. This new M8 is Harleys future, no matter the cost they should fix this or they may be going down, makes me very sad to feel like this.
No way I will buy a new bike and have to keep adding transmission fluid and at the same time know my primary is overfilling. No way no how. I'm still thinking , hard for me to go on Facebook and shock everyone. I'm going to hold back for just a bit. When I go public on Facebook that I will not buy new Harleys because the Mo Co will not spend the money necessary to fix this problem, total shock.. I think I will call HD customer service and discuss this with them, if they don't seem to care, that will make it a lot easier for me to go public with this,
The Mo Co has no idea what a big deal this will be to see me say the words, I would not buy a new Harley. I know I will be bombarded with questions.

Last edited by GPHDXLC; 10-28-2017 at 04:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GPHDXLC:
borrec (10-28-2017), G'day (12-11-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I'm a Harley guy and everyone I know understands that. I'm on Facebook and very well known for my happy Harley stories and pics. Now I feel the time has come for me to go public with this on Facebook. A lot of my friends are Harley guys, they will be shocked to see me post I will never buy a new Harley again. A lot of them have been thinking of getting a new Harley, including me, not now. This new M8 is Harleys future, no matter the cost they should fix this or they may be going down, makes me very sad to feel like this.
No way I will buy a new bike and have to keep adding transmission fluid and at the same time know my primary is overfilling. No way no how. I'm still thinking , hard for me to go on Facebook and shock everyone. I'm going to hold back for just a bit. When I go public on Facebook that I will not buy new Harleys because the Mo Co will not spend the money necessary to fix this problem, total shock.. I think I will call HD customer service and discuss this with them, if they don't seem to care, that will make it a lot easier for me to go public with this,
The Mo Co has no idea what a big deal this will be to see me say the words, I would not buy a new Harley. I know I will be bombarded with questions.
Never heard of you..

Old 10-28-2017, 06:25 PM
Ert
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I would apreciate that.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:35 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Never heard of you..
Cool, then we are even.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:48 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

GPHDXLC - Calling HD customer service is a good idea. I'd be interested to hear how that conversation goes for you and I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

I was talking to a service manager friend of mine earlier today - his dealership has had only one claim of migration but he's waiting to hear from the MoCo what constitutes an "acceptable" amount of fluid transfer.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:00 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I'm a Harley guy and everyone I know junderstands that. I'm on Facebook and very well known for my happy Harley stories and pics. Now I feel the time has come for me to go public with this on Facebook. A lot of my friends are Harley guys, they will be shocked to see me post I will never buy a new Harley again. A lot of them have been thinking of getting a new Harley, including me, not now. This new M8 is Harleys future, no matter the cost they should fix this or they may be going down, makes me very sad to feel like this.
Man this is a wee bit melodramatic.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:01 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Any one know if the new 18 softails have this issue ?? I know they have a cable clutch. I test drove a 18, 114" Heritage and the clutch was very easy to pull, better then my 14 King cable clutch and mine works easy compared to the hydraulic clutch on the 17 King I test drove. I could tell the M8 107 King had a bit more power then my 103HO stage-1 and I liked that.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?