Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 05:46 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I've got a six speed gear set with the trap door and bearings. That will let me see what will work without having to open up an assembled transmission. I don't know if there is clearance, but we'll find out.
If you have that, take the cover that holds the slave and fill the area where the main-shaft fits with puddy. Then bolt it up to your gear-set. This will push the puddy out and leave you with a nice shaped piece of puddy when you unbolt it. This gives you the small gap area you have to work in. When I made my slinger ring that what I did to get it to fit in there.

The following users liked this post:
$tonecold (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 07:22 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

The shop called today. Said the were going to do the crank seal gizmo. Then he went on to say they were going to change some seal at the tranny. He continued stating that they were going to change the rod that runs through the mainshaft and send all the parts back to Harley.
I"ll know more come Wednesday when I pick it up. I'll get all the part numbers and report back. There are a couple of things there doing that hasn't been mention on this tread. He called me at work and I didn't have a lot of time to ask questions.

Last edited by CR3999; 10-19-2017 at 07:24 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CR3999:
103Eagle (10-20-2017), G'day (12-10-2017), Max Headflow (10-19-2017), MotoJockey (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 08:37 PM
Wmitz
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Interesting post over on HTT, #606 about trans oil migration issue. Installing a slinger that they took out in 14. Still haven’t figured out why some have an issue and some don’t.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Found some of my old photo's of when I puddied up the area. As you can see there isn't much room to work with. I cut the first slinger ring from AL. and glued it in place. Then made another out of high temp plastic with a sleeve on it to push into the mainshaft. This holds it in place and reduces the ID of the shaft at the same time. While it helped some, it does not stop migration at all, at least in my testing anyways.

Attached Thumbnails who's been having to add transmission fluid?-img_2610.jpg   who's been having to add transmission fluid?-img_2612.jpg   who's been having to add transmission fluid?-img_2616.jpg  
The following 7 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
$tonecold (10-19-2017), 103Eagle (10-20-2017), FM500 (10-20-2017), G'day (12-10-2017), lp (10-20-2017), Max Headflow (10-19-2017), Wmitz (10-20-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-19-2017, 09:55 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Found some of my old photo's of when I puddied up the area. As you can see there isn't much room to work with. I cut the first slinger ring from AL. and glued it in place. Then made another out of high temp plastic with a sleeve on it to push into the mainshaft. This holds it in place and reduces the ID of the shaft at the same time. While it helped some, it does not stop migration at all, at least in my testing anyways.
That is the area I would like to machine open. I'm not a machinist so I will have to hire that done. I have order two of those inner covers so that I don't have to damage an existing piece. I also ordered the three piece pushrod that came in the '14 CVO Ultra and a slinger out of a cable clutch model. I don't know that any of this will do anything and I may be covering ground already covered by you or the MOCO, but I will just chalk it up to a learning experience.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:19 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Thanks, for the pic Steve. The clay reveals the issue.. It may simply be how casting ends up that some bike have the issue and some do not. The OD might be slightly smaller on some allowing for clearance and the oil to drain..

I assume that looking at the clay, the circle is the OD (yellow) of the bearing in the trap door and that the boss where the clay is machined to the same level as the gasket surface. Looking closely, you see a ring along the outside edge of the boss where the boss is bigger than the bearing. This area will only have about 1/16 inch clearance between the inner cover and trapdoor for oil to flow out due to the cover gasket so the cavity can fill with oil if enough is dumped through the mainshaft bearing. The cavity fills to the point where oil transfers.

IMO all that is needed it to machine the case area down to where the red arrow points and no oil will be caught in that region..

FWIW, IMO simply cutting slots for drain may not be enough..

Old 10-20-2017, 12:40 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Wmitz
Interesting post over on HTT, #606 about trans oil migration issue. Installing a slinger that they took out in 14. Still haven’t figured out why some have an issue and some don’t.
Kinda looks like this guy..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...-is-a-fix.html

Not a lot of real info here.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:11 AM
fwj
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

This pic illustrates the difference between the hydraulic and the manual clutch. While there is no possibility for oil to pool at the manual, it is quite obvious that it can pool at the hydraulic version.

Attached Thumbnails who's been having to add transmission fluid?-6e959b0e-307c-4c1f-a01f-a5703e596892.png  
Old 10-20-2017, 05:37 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Looks like that inner ring/lip where the pushrod runs through (where the putty is) would be about perfect for collecting moving oil and directing it right onto the exposed pushrod end.

Remove that, and there is no cavity for oil to collect nor for oil to be directed. Just machine the face of that thing right off.

Last edited by lp; 10-20-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:55 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Thanks, for the pic Steve. The clay reveals the issue.. It may simply be how casting ends up that some bike have the issue and some do not. The OD might be slightly smaller on some allowing for clearance and the oil to drain..

I assume that looking at the clay, the circle is the OD (yellow) of the bearing in the trap door and that the boss where the clay is machined to the same level as the gasket surface. Looking closely, you see a ring along the outside edge of the boss where the boss is bigger than the bearing. This area will only have about 1/16 inch clearance between the inner cover and trapdoor for oil to flow out due to the cover gasket so the cavity can fill with oil if enough is dumped through the mainshaft bearing. The cavity fills to the point where oil transfers.

IMO all that is needed it to machine the case area down to where the red arrow points and no oil will be caught in that region..

FWIW, IMO simply cutting slots for drain may not be enough..
What I propose Max is machining out what you have circled in yellow in the first image. If you look closely at the clay you will see that the end of the mainshaft goes into the hole and is flush with the other side of that barrier. There is a little space between the barrier and the actuator where oil can collect and then be pulled through the mainshaft into the primary. At high rpm the bearing might be pushing oil into the cavity and through the mainshaft. It might be that’s the case at all rpm, although if that’s true then it should happen on all M8’s. Machining that out will let the oil drain back into the transmission case. I suspect that when the transmission is in motion the oil level should drop somewhat because oil is being picked up by the gears, this should allow for oil to drain back into the case. A slinger could help by throwing oil away from the mainshaft end or it may end up being another collection point. Just have to see.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?