Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 11:32 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
The bike has a rough total of 500 miles on it. The dealership and the HD Rep have put about 300 of those miles on the bike in testing there fixes! I have done two ~80 mile rides after a supposed fix to check it and each time the results are little to no better than before and returned to dealership. After the last 80 mile trip it ended up with a grand total of 4 oz in the transmission! Then add a few miles each time I've ridden it back and forth to the dealership and that's it. So I have demanded a full refund including tax, Registration ect. We will see what they do.
damn, if ever I heard of a situation that checked all the boxes for warranting a buy back this is it..you can't ride it, they can't fix it..sure hope this is resolved quickly for you

Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Isnt there a baffle that fixes all this???

Old 10-19-2017, 11:55 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
LOL, oh my.......

Old 10-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Old 10-19-2017, 12:30 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Back to this.. So what makes you think the softails with the cable clutch system is going to fail.. It's pretty much the layout that has worked from "clunk drive (TM)" twincam tranny since 2006, where first gear can push oil through the bearing.
Gravity is still a theory. FFS Max, it’s not what I think, I’m just joining the dots which say (via Steve’s idea) if the mechanism is mainly bearing design, and that design is shared across platforms, then the other platform (the new Softys) will likely also be effected.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
Gravity is still a theory. FFS Max, it’s not what I think, I’m just joining the dots which say (via Steve’s idea) if the mechanism is mainly bearing design, and that design is shared across platforms, then the other platform (the new Softys) will likely also be effected.

Well gravity is only a theory when you smoke a lot of the good stuff.. Psychedelics help...

https://thehappyscientist.com/conten...ory-become-law

https://thehappyscientist.com/scienc...-theory-or-law

Now I have to say you are doing a poor job of connecting the dots. The bearing isn't the root cause, it's part of path.. Changing the bearing by adding the shield / seal stops the flow of oil from the tranny gears through the bearing and into the outer cover area.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Well gravity is only a theory when you smoke a lot of the good stuff.. Psychedelics help...

https://thehappyscientist.com/conten...ory-become-law

https://thehappyscientist.com/scienc...-theory-or-law

Now I have to say you are doing a poor job of connecting the dots. The bearing isn't the root cause, it's part of path.. Changing the bearing by adding the shield / seal stops the flow of oil from the tranny gears through the bearing and into the outer cover area.
With 30 years experience as a Geophysicist I don’t need a lecture from you regarding what science is and what it is not. Gravity remains a theory Max regardless of whatever anyone smokes or what you think, and I observe it every time my heavy heart reads your inane replies....you say it’s not the root cause.....my reading suggests no one knows the actual root cause yet....but when a guy deeply involved says “The amount of oil coming through the bearing is where I believe the major problem is” yet you say “the bearing isn’t the root cause” well......

The following users liked this post:
TomcatCV62 (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
With 30 years experience as a Geophysicist I don’t need a lecture from you regarding what science is and what it is not. Gravity remains a theory Max regardless of whatever anyone smokes or what you think, and I observe it every time my heavy heart reads your inane replies....you say it’s not the root cause.....my reading suggests no one knows the actual root cause yet....but when a guy deeply involved says “The amount of oil coming through the bearing is where I believe the major problem is” yet you say “the bearing isn’t the root cause” well......

I'd be real interested as to what pushed the Law of Gravity back to a theory.. Sounds like you have a conviction that it isn't... What's it based on? How is it disproved?

If you are looking for a smoking gun, you won't find it, it's a combination of little changes here and there that is causing the issue... As mentioned, there are something like 4 possible fixes that HD is researching. Being a retired engineer, I see a number of possible was to fix the issue.. I expect that changing the bearing to a shield one would be expensive as the tranny need pulling.. I'd expect something with the tranny nut, cover, venting, clutch pushrod, clutch, and gear rattle device. Sure the bearing can be modified to correct part of the problem.. It's not the smoking gun..

Old 10-19-2017, 01:34 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

I thought that was more than a theory.. Steve validated the oil flow with a Plexiglas cover. Once it's observed and validated it's no longer a theory.
No, it's still a theory. Can't validate the validator, although we trust him.

Max Headflow (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 01:35 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Hey, you're just here to check spelling. Get to it.... leave transmission talk to people in the know.

borrec (10-19-2017)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?