Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 01:01 AM
Ert
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

What will be different with the covers?

Old 10-18-2017, 05:39 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Ert
I am going to modify them. I believe oil is being trapped between the cover and the secondary actuator, I think drain holes might alleviate that problem. If the drain holes don’t work I may just open it up all the way so oil doesn’t get trapped in the first place.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:18 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I am going to modify them. I believe oil is being trapped between the cover and the secondary actuator, I think drain holes might alleviate that problem. If the drain holes don’t work I may just open it up all the way so oil doesn’t get trapped in the first place.

I may be mistaken but didn't Steve Cole try something similar with limited results????

Eagle Out

Old 10-18-2017, 08:23 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
It's a good line of thinking but what if it goes the other way?

Think about it, something is feeding/forcing oil into the area. If you put another hole in it, why wouldn't MORE oil be pushed INTO it rather than drain from it.
I would think a tighter seal around the area of some sort would help more, but please let us know how it goes. Would be cool if you solved it.

Last edited by lp; 10-18-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by lp

Think about it, something is feeding/forcing oil into the area. If you put another hole in it, why wouldn't MORE oil be pushed INTO it rather than drain from it.
I would think a tighter seal around the area of some sort would help more, but please let us know how it goes. Would be cool if you solved it.
There isn't anything under the cover that can force oil into that area except for oil coming through the bearing from first gear.. I wouldn't do a simple hole but would machine away the cover.. IMO a simple fix would be to add a second gasket to the cover. That would essentially double the clearance.

The good thing is that if it goes the other way, you know the fix doesn't work..

Old 10-18-2017, 12:03 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
There isn't anything under the cover that can force oil into that area except for oil coming through the bearing from first gear.. I wouldn't do a simple hole but would machine away the cover.. IMO a simple fix would be to add a second gasket to the cover. That would essentially double the clearance.

The good thing is that if it goes the other way, you know the fix doesn't work..
Has it been determined that most of it is coming in at the bearing? If so, why hasn't someone just put a washer on that side of the bearing?

I thought it was somewhat believed that oil was being forced up into and filling the actuator crevasse by the oil being spun around the case/gears entering from the big ports located at the top and bottom of the trap door, which are situated directly between where the gears mesh. If that was the case closing the crevasse (gap) could aid in keeping excess oil out.

I'm not sure which situation is true. Just putting it out there for discussion...

Last edited by lp; 10-18-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Settertude
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

After reading the last few pages, I'm beginning to think that all of the bikes have the potential of transferring. If that is the case (mine isn't yet), shouldn't there be a general recall?

2017 Ultra Limited.

By the way--I would love for the fix to be changing to a cable clutch and the MoCo doing that at no charge.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:11 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Ert
Originally Posted by 103Eagle
I may be mistaken but didn't Steve Cole try something similar with limited results????

Eagle Out

We don’t know because Steve would not tell us exactly what he did. I promise to let you know the results no matter what they are.

The following users liked this post:
103Eagle (10-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 02:18 PM
Ert
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I personally would try the 2014 CVO pushrod first.
The only reason why I don‘t is that my dealer doesn‘t do it under warranty.
If I do it on my own I would lose my (extended 4 years) warranty...

Last edited by Ert; 10-18-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:21 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by lp

If it goes the other way I will have a stock cover put back on it, that is why I ordered replacements. The problem I see now is not that it is being forced in, but that there is no way for it to escape once it is trapped.

Originally Posted by Max Headflow

I want to take a good look at the cover. I don’t really see the purpose of the wall between the bearing and the actuator.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?