Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobjv
I am currently on a trip and have added about 20 oz in 2300 miles. Running 80 on interstate and never seeing 3500 rpm. It seems that engine braking in mountains really accelerates the transfer.
Wow, that sounds like a lot! When your bike is cool slide your hand down along the bottom of the primary cover, mostly around the drain plug.

With the extra 14 oz I found in my primary I could feel a light coat of oil/belt grime all along the bottom of my primary cover, mostly towards the plug end. When I dumped the primary I cleaned it all up and am keeping an eye on it. I am speculating that it's getting forced out of one of the seals. Will see after I get a few miles back on it now that I am watching all the levels. I personally won't let my primary get much above 6-8 oz again. I don't know what the magic number is for "too much"..

Old 06-16-2017, 01:01 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobjv
I am currently on a trip and have added about 20 oz in 2300 miles. Running 80 on interstate and never seeing 3500 rpm. It seems that engine braking in mountains really accelerates the transfer.
That's good to know. I'm leaving Monday for about three weeks. You guessed it, in the mountains of Colorado. I'm bringing a big syringe to exchange fluid.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999
That's good to know. I'm leaving Monday for about three weeks. You guessed it, in the mountains of Colorado. I'm bringing a big syringe to exchange fluid.
That would be my plan. Looks like one of these would be a good addition to my tool bag.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2EMZB8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_nndrzbY43CHTG https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2EMZB8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_nndrzbY43CHTG

Old 06-16-2017, 07:25 PM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CR3999
Originally Posted by Nickatnyt
That would be my plan. Looks like one of these would be a good addition to my tool bag.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2EMZB8..._nndrzbY43CHTG
The syringe sounds good to pull from the Primary. Not sure I would exchange it back into the tranny if that is what you meant. I'd have one empty bottle for what you pull from the primary(discard) and put fresh oil in the tranny.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:39 PM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

I cant believe what we are going thru with this. My guess is their is going to be some really pissed new bike owners not knowing this is happening, and official summer has not even started yet.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Ok.... time for an update. The dealership has had my bike since Tuesday evening when I dropped it off for a Wednesday appointment for this very issue. I told the Service Mgr my history (see previous Post) of transferring at least 10 Oz of fluid out of my tranny and into my primary. Told him I drained both cases completely and added exactly 32 Oz to each hole. Rode the bike for 640 miles and it is now in their hands to tell me what they find, determine how much fluid moved over into the primary, and what the issue is.

Fast forward to this evening while at dinner with the wife...... Got a phone call from the dealer with an update. He told me that MoCo is sending them a BRAND NEW transmission! They did checks, they took measurements, but most importantly........ they put dye in the tranny and ran it for 10 miles or so and VOILA! dye in the primary! He said between that, the testimony that I gave them, and the checks that MoCo had them do, it produces a new tranny! So, with that being said, how long until the recall starts is anybody's guess. I just hope that they, MoCo, were able to determine exactly what the problem is, (or maybe they have already known), and have a permanent fix for this problem. Like I said, maybe they are already aware of all this and are being real picky about who get's a new tranny? It'll be next week before the new tranny gets here and then they'll need to install it and do some more testing I'm sure, but after that, I'll be all over that dipstick for a while. (I know, I saw it right after I typed it....... ). Stay tuned!

What it seems to me is, if you take your bike back to your dealer and explain what you have going on and suggest a dye test, or maybe do your own, there should be a new transmission in it for you for a late Fathers Day gift! Or at least I hope so!

Luckily I still have the 03 RK to putt around on while it's in the 100*-110* temperature range here so I can still go ride it this great weather!

Good luck fellers! Let's get these dealerships woke up and busy!

The following 10 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
BrandonSmith (06-19-2017), Gamma742 (06-23-2017), hattitude (06-17-2017), lewk (06-16-2017), Max Headflow (06-16-2017), mjwebb (06-17-2017), paullavery (06-16-2017), Peter Goodes (06-18-2017), rockymtman (01-05-2018), SWMB (06-17-2017) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-17-2017, 12:20 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,271 Likes on 4,441 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
What it seems to me is, if you take your bike back to your dealer and explain what you have going on and suggest a dye test, or maybe do your own, there should be a new transmission in it for you for a late Fathers Day gift! Or at least I hope so!

Good luck fellers! Let's get these dealerships woke up and busy!

I'll be curious to see if the new tranny solves the problem....!

Keep us posted on your findings....

Old 06-17-2017, 12:37 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

So far I haven't had this problem. How would this play out once our bikes past the 2 yr warranty and then develop this fluid transfer?

Old 06-17-2017, 01:02 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Just finished up another round of testing parts and checked the fluid transfer. As some of you know I made some modifications hoping it would help. The last time this testing was run the transfer was over twice as much as this time, so I'm on the right track! While not a complete fix for the transfer, a big step the right way.

The following users liked this post:
Peter Goodes (06-18-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 07:18 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Field unit analysis

Originally Posted by hattitude
I'll be curious to see if the new tranny solves the problem....!

Keep us posted on your findings....
His tranny will be used to assess the issue from a failed field unit perspective. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (06-17-2017)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?