Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 02:39 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
The answer is 7......
I thought 18 was the magic number. Or is that only 18 degrees to counter steer? I forget.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:44 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
"Drain hole"? Are you advocating essentially encouraging the tranny and primary fluids to mix??
Not at all, this would just let oil trapped at the transmission end of the mainshaft drain back into the transmission.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
How many posts per page are you looking at? This is page 198 for me.
Oops 20...

Old 10-16-2017, 02:48 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

If you guys are indicating pic in message 1970, pic shows the wrong side..

Old 10-16-2017, 02:59 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
If you guys are indicating pic in message 1970, pic shows the wrong side..
Picky, picky, picky

Old 10-17-2017, 06:41 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by borrec
Mine was fine until between 3,000 and 5,000 miles then the Xmsn level went from near full to just under half way (it went into the primary). During the 5,000 mile service I replaced the Xmsn Cover gasket with one I enlarged the hole on like someone showed on the other forum. 4,500 miles later (no change in driving habits) and Xmsn level has not moved from just under half way mark. I have filed complaints with NHTSA, BBB, and Harley. My dealer knows about it too but I told them until Harley knows what is going on and can articulate it then there is nothing they can do for me.
I'll bet that when the MoCo starts having to buy these bikes back under various state lemon laws due to a "known factory defect with no known fix", they'll magically come up with a way to prevent this issue damn quick!

Last edited by jpooch00; 10-17-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:19 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
I'll bet that when the MoCo starts having to buy these bikes back under various state lemon laws due to a "known factory defect with no known fix", they'll magically come up with a way to prevent this issue damn quick!
Well I have done a bit of research on this. I am contemplating this exact type of action but......First off every state is different and some DO NOT cover motorcycles under lemon laws, sorry for those not covered. You should understand, the MOCO is in control for the most part. Ya ya I hear ya its a lemon, I HAVE ONE TOO! Problem is the MOCO can agree or disagree to your request at which point there is an arbitration hearing if they disagree, (at least here in Ohio). The arbitrators make a ruling that they feel is fair. Now you the owner may agree or disagree, if you disagree, you are left with taking the MOCO to court. How many of us have that kind of resources and or time/cash?

Is there any proof the MOCO has bought anything back and made the owner happy due to OIL TRANSFER? Also the MOCO may or may not cover aftermarket add ons or customer add ons after the bike was purchased, especially those added by owner and not dealer. KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS FOR ANYTHING YOU ADD BOYS! Ya never know....

Eagle Out

Old 10-17-2017, 09:22 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Default True enough.

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Well I have done a bit of research on this. I am contemplating this exact type of action but......First off every state is different and some DO NOT cover motorcycles under lemon laws, sorry for those not covered. You should understand, the MOCO is in control for the most part. Ya ya I hear ya its a lemon, I HAVE ONE TOO! Problem is the MOCO can agree or disagree to your request at which point there is an arbitration hearing if they disagree, (at least here in Ohio). The arbitrators make a ruling that they feel is fair. Now you the owner may agree or disagree, if you disagree, you are left with taking the MOCO to court. How many of us have that kind of resources and or time/cash?

Is there any proof the MOCO has bought anything back and made the owner happy due to OIL TRANSFER? Also the MOCO may or may not cover aftermarket add ons or customer add ons after the bike was purchased, especially those added by owner and not dealer. KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS FOR ANYTHING YOU ADD BOYS! Ya never know....

Eagle Out
I hear ya. Yeah, Colorado is one of the half-assed states that doesn't protect motorcycle buyers from this kind of BS.

Class-action lawsuits might be considered in those kinds of situations, maybe?

Best scenario - The Almighty MoCo comes up with a fix that eliminates the issue REALLY soon! My understanding is that most Lemon Laws allow dealers to give it three trys, then it's "game over". If they don't even have a fix to try it three times, then I'd assume they're screwed.

Last edited by jpooch00; 10-17-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:44 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
I hear ya. Yeah, Colorado is one of the half-assed states that doesn't protect motorcycle buyers from this kind of BS.

Class-action lawsuits might be considered in those kinds of situations, maybe?

Best scenario - The Almighty MoCo comes up with a fix that eliminates the issue REALLY soon! My understanding is that most Lemon Laws allow dealers to give it three trys, then it's "game over". If they don't even have a fix to try it three times, then I'd assume they're screwed.
You are correct in Ohio, the manufacturer must have 3 attempts to fix the issue or 1 on a defect than "COULD" cause death or serious injury. Think I stated before I feel low trans oil "COULD" cause death or serious injury if she locks up due to lack of lube.......

Eagle Out

Old 10-17-2017, 08:10 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Default Parts on Order

I have ordered 2 of the inner transmission covers and the parts for the pushrod from the ‘14 CVO. Once I get my bike to dealer to document that it does transfer transmission fluid I am going to try my theory to see if it cures the problem.

Stay tuned!

The following 4 users liked this post by $tonecold:
Max Headflow (10-17-2017), MotoJockey (10-17-2017), psyshack (10-17-2017), swdiesel (08-21-2021)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?