Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:28 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

You can't seal the pushrod; the primary vents through the mainshaft. No venting would likely result in fluid forced out through gaskets, etc.

The following users liked this post:
Cbyway (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 01:04 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Sorry, but that's just fantasy on your part. What I described is exactly what's happening.

Read my post again - CAREFULLY this time, so that your reading comprehension can have a chance to work.
Oh, I see the light now! You need to get hold of Harley’s engineering department immediately and let them know you solved the transfer problem for them. I’m sure they’ll be delighted!

Old 10-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dceggert
In the meantime while waiting on an official fix there is one thing that those with the issue may be able to do. In the auto business when something like this comes up the team charts commonality between the vehicles with the issue. So, what things do all of you experiencing this issue have in common?

- all bone stock? Stage I, II, or III?
- air cooled, twin cooled?
- ride easy, ride fast, ride like you stole it?
- hilly countryside, flat, city riding, mostly highway?

Not that this will fix anything but it may lead to a clue as to the root cause.
I think the common denominator would be that all the bikes that are having transmission migration problems have a hydraulic clutch, No??

Old 10-15-2017, 06:26 PM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,611 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
I finally found a PDF parts catalog online and it does not show or list any oil seal(s) for the clutch-release push rod.

Well, there's yer problem right there, just as I suspected.

When the bike warms up, the air & oil in the (un-vented) primary expands and forces air down the non-sealed clutch release push rod passage & into the tranny and out the tranny vent. When the bike cools down, the air and oil in the primary contract, forming a slightly negative pressure, and that sucks tranny fluid back down the push rod passage and into the primary along with a little gravity-assist with the bike on the kick stand. When the bike's on the kick stand, the tranny-end of the push rod is still submerged in oil.

That's what's goin' on.
Nope- transfer has been shown to most rapidly happen with > 4000 RPM operation, nothing transfers when the bike is on the sidestand. Fluid level, when full, is at least 1/2" below the push rod opening, when on the side stand. Upright and level, @ low RPM, it's churning to almost the pushrod opening. At high RPM, the churning from the gearset causes the fluid to be pushed above the opening, starting the transfer. Longer you are at high RPM, more fluid transfers.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:07 PM
HDs4me
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

i think the common denominator would be that all the bikes that are having transmission migration problems have a hydraulic clutch, no??
.......... Yes

Old 10-16-2017, 03:19 AM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Really can't be a differential fluid level in the transmission problem...how would that explain them transferring the lube when almost empty? Both on the dyno short term and longer when ridden?

Drain the fluid level source near the clutch pushrod opening so it doesn't have something to transfer.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:54 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
Nope- transfer has been shown to most rapidly happen with > 4000 RPM operation, nothing transfers when the bike is on the sidestand. Fluid level, when full, is at least 1/2" below the push rod opening, when on the side stand. Upright and level, @ low RPM, it's churning to almost the pushrod opening. At high RPM, the churning from the gearset causes the fluid to be pushed above the opening, starting the transfer. Longer you are at high RPM, more fluid transfers.
Ok so how does this work, Saturday, 100miles 2up, motorway 30 miles rpm below 3000, no migration, 70 miles average speed 30/40 mph average rpm 2500, migration down from full to half way, I went no where near 4000 rpm and most of my speed and rpm was low, it’s driving me mad, it goes against what everyone else is reporting, the bikes a 2017 SGS, only 7 months old with 3200 miles on the clock.......

Old 10-16-2017, 08:56 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by reddog8145
Ok so how does this work, Saturday, 100miles 2up, motorway 30 miles rpm below 3000, no migration, 70 miles average speed 30/40 mph average rpm 2500, migration down from full to half way, I went no where near 4000 rpm and most of my speed and rpm was low, it’s driving me mad, it goes against what everyone else is reporting, the bikes a 2017 SGS, only 7 months old with 3200 miles on the clock.......
Nobody, including apparently the MOCO, knows! And as to why one time it does it and not the next, who knows. Maybe on the short run the pressure caused by the primary heating up counteracted the vacuum from the crankcase. Just conjecture. I think a design change on the inner cover that the secondary actuator sits on would fix it. Again, conjecture.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:12 AM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine was fine until between 3,000 and 5,000 miles then the Xmsn level went from near full to just under half way (it went into the primary). During the 5,000 mile service I replaced the Xmsn Cover gasket with one I enlarged the hole on like someone showed on the other forum. 4,500 miles later (no change in driving habits) and Xmsn level has not moved from just under half way mark. I have filed complaints with NHTSA, BBB, and Harley. My dealer knows about it too but I told them until Harley knows what is going on and can articulate it then there is nothing they can do for me.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:25 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,611 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by reddog8145
I never said transfer occurs only above 4K, just said more rapid transfer is above 4K. IIRC, someone had transferred 3/4s of a quart in just a few minutes.
If you're dropping to 1/2 way on the stick, that's approximately 1/2 a cup- more transfer than some, less than some.
Maybe opening up the hole around the mainshaft would reduce the transfer?

Last edited by rigidthumper; 07-20-2024 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?