Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:05 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Non Fairing touring models had cable..
So... Road Kings? Didn't know that.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
So does this qualify you for the lemon law in your state? You're one of the people on this thread that I think would be looking at that pretty hard. MotoJockey and Steve Cole are a couple more that don't seem to be able to use their bikes to any satisfactory degree. I think that makes them lemons.
Hey Stone,
Well yes and no, in Ohio motorcycles ARE covered under lemon law but with circumstances. As I posted a bit back, the MOCO must have at least 3 attempts to fix a single issue (oil transfer) to which they were not successful, also topping off the trans does not count as an attempt. Where I felt I may have a point but its up for debate is this.....Ohio Attorney General Lemon law states: Has one unsuccessful attempt been made to fix a problem that could cause death or serious injury? To me the trans being low on oil could cause death or serious injury if it were to lock up at speed. Now once you file a lemon law, the dealer is prohibited from working on your bike or talking to you.....that is according to my dealer as we chatted about the lemon law. There are no guarantees that you will win, the MOCO can deny your request for replacement or refund of purchase price, then you either proceed with arbitration and or lawsuit.

I have not decided that is the way I want to go just yet.....

Eagle Out

Last edited by 103Eagle; 10-10-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:08 PM
QNman
Supporter

And as I've stated before, my '15 RGS has a hydraulically actuated diaphragm clutch. Still, the high vacuum that the MOCO thinks is created in the crankcase on the '17 models may be the reason that the transfer happens and in some cases it accelerates when the engine is run at high RPM's. That's why I would like to see this push rod fix installed on a bike that is severely transferring transmission fluid. 103Eagle would be a good candidate. How about it Eagle, do you live close to Sparks, NV. or Gilbert, AZ.?
IF it is truly a vacuum created (logically seems to be), it'd have to be a pretty good seal to counter it, and it would certainly wear over time. I'm of the opinion that if the pressure isn't equalized, improving the seal may be a short term fix. Unless the vacuum could also be sealed from the engine to the primary?

Old 10-10-2017, 08:14 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

And as I've stated before, my '15 RGS has a hydraulically actuated diaphragm clutch. Still, the high vacuum that the MOCO thinks is created in the crankcase on the '17 models may be the reason that the transfer happens and in some cases it accelerates when the engine is run at high RPM's. That's why I would like to see this push rod fix installed on a bike that is severely transferring transmission fluid. 103Eagle would be a good candidate. How about it Eagle, do you live close to Sparks, NV. or Gilbert, AZ.?
LOL I WISH....Ohio here.............

Also still debating how I want to handle this, especially after the last visit to the dealer. Don't want to experiment yet till the MOCO has their chance to do something..........

Eagle Out

Old 10-10-2017, 10:48 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

So here's where I'm at with this thing. I finally got the bike back from the dealer on Friday with the new Seal/Spacer repair completed. It was not without some issues to get it to this point though. After waiting WAAAYYYY too long for the MoCo to send out the new and improved Seal/Spacer set, the Tech was finally able to get started on my bike. Well, apparently, Milwaukee had sent my Tech the WRONG Seal Removal Tool that is used to get the Crank Seal out of the Case without having to split the cases. The one that they sent was for a TC, not an M8 and when they used it, it boogered up my left case enough for them to have to replace them both as a set, (of course). It took a bit to get the Cases sent to them and then I guess they didn't come with some of the Gaskets......... HUH? How da *****? Whatever......... Anyhow, more shop time waiting for them. Fast forward over 2 months from when I dropped the bike off, to last Friday. Picked up the bike, checked the fluid levels Saturday morning and headed out on a 3 day ride around NorCal to visit with the kids and G-kid, hook up with some old biker buddies I haven't seen in over a decade, and lose some money in the slots. Total run about 700 miles with everything from Super-Slabs, 2 lane foothill highways, the "Little Dragon" twisties, and two 9,000' High Sierra Summit Passes. Basically, a wide variety of roads and technical spots. The dealer wanted me to put 500 miles on it and bring it back in for a look-see to check the fluid levels, which I did today. It appears there was NO fluid transfer at this point in the testing. Now, this is only 700 miles into it, and FAR from what I would call a conclusive result at all. After all, others have had the same repair and are still having fluid transfer. If I see the same results after 3k, 4k, or 5k miles....... I'll feel better. If I can see no fluid loss for 2 regularly scheduled Tranny Fluid change outs with "Set it and forget it" results, THEN I'll quit trippin' on this in my spare time and wondering what the next step will be......... But until then, I'll just keep checking my dipstick and reading this thread for other updates and hopefully "THE" answer to this puzzle. Thanks for everybody's input on this thing and hopefully it'll all get worked out........... eventually.

The following 4 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
103Eagle (10-11-2017), Michaelpost (10-11-2017), mjwebb (10-10-2017), TomcatCV62 (10-11-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 11:56 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
So here's where I'm at with this thing. I finally got the bike back from the dealer on Friday with the new Seal/Spacer repair completed. It was not without some issues to get it to this point though. After waiting WAAAYYYY too long for the MoCo to send out the new and improved Seal/Spacer set, the Tech was finally able to get started on my bike. Well, apparently, Milwaukee had sent my Tech the WRONG Seal Removal Tool that is used to get the Crank Seal out of the Case without having to split the cases. The one that they sent was for a TC, not an M8 and when they used it, it boogered up my left case enough for them to have to replace them both as a set, (of course). It took a bit to get the Cases sent to them and then I guess they didn't come with some of the Gaskets......... HUH? How da *****? Whatever......... Anyhow, more shop time waiting for them. Fast forward over 2 months from when I dropped the bike off, to last Friday. Picked up the bike, checked the fluid levels Saturday morning and headed out on a 3 day ride around NorCal to visit with the kids and G-kid, hook up with some old biker buddies I haven't seen in over a decade, and lose some money in the slots. Total run about 700 miles with everything from Super-Slabs, 2 lane foothill highways, the "Little Dragon" twisties, and two 9,000' High Sierra Summit Passes. Basically, a wide variety of roads and technical spots. The dealer wanted me to put 500 miles on it and bring it back in for a look-see to check the fluid levels, which I did today. It appears there was NO fluid transfer at this point in the testing. Now, this is only 700 miles into it, and FAR from what I would call a conclusive result at all. After all, others have had the same repair and are still having fluid transfer. If I see the same results after 3k, 4k, or 5k miles....... I'll feel better. If I can see no fluid loss for 2 regularly scheduled Tranny Fluid change outs with "Set it and forget it" results, THEN I'll quit trippin' on this in my spare time and wondering what the next step will be......... But until then, I'll just keep checking my dipstick and reading this thread for other updates and hopefully "THE" answer to this puzzle. Thanks for everybody's input on this thing and hopefully it'll all get worked out........... eventually.
Mojo if they had to send your dealer the seal remover at all shows us how rare this issue is in the real world ! Let alone sending the wrong one right !! ha ha the parts guys at the Moco man **** them guys right !
It's obviously his first one he's had to fix and well over a year after the new M8 touring models were out too !

Last edited by badcooky; 10-10-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:05 AM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fwj
In the German V-Twin forum some are reporting that the migration has stopped after changing the clutch pushrod to a larger diameter version of a former CVO model. Bellow the replacement parts:

11143 Retaining RIng
37909-90 Retaining Ring
37092-06 Clutch Release Rod
37000113 Clutch ROd End
37000112 Pushrod , Clutch Release Plate

Anybody here having solved the migration issue with replacing the parts listed above?
These parts are listed on Ronnie's parts fiche for a '14 model year, which appears to use a 2-piece rod with "fatter" end pieces. The '15 and '16 models use a single rod with the same part number as the '17s, so I'm surprised this didn't come up much sooner if this is the issue (or part of the issue). I'm may get these parts just to have on hand if my migration issue comes back, especially if I can get the funds together to do my cam upgrade.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:56 AM
QNman
Supporter

That's a rough road to get here, to be sure. BUT it sounds like sealing from the engine case to the primary was what was addressed and, so far at least, seems to be working.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:10 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Yeah, so far so good. But I'm skeptical as hell. Then there's the other twist to this whole repair on my bike. Was it actually the seal / spacer or was it the new crankcase? After all, both of them were changed out. For MoCo's sake, I hope it was just the seal / spacer. With the PROPER removal tool it's a lot cheaper to do that then replace crank cases.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:22 AM
QNman
Supporter

Yeah, so far so good. But I'm skeptical as hell. Then there's the other twist to this whole repair on my bike. Was it actually the seal / spacer or was it the new crankcase? After all, both of them were changed out. For MoCo's sake, I hope it was just the seal / spacer. With the PROPER removal tool it's a lot cheaper to do that then replace crank cases.
Amen to that!

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?