Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 01:23 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,129 Likes on 3,647 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
$ .85 - 11143 Retaining RIng
$11.00 - 37909-90 Retaining Ring
$ 9.79 - 37092-06 Clutch Release Rod
$ 4.38 - 37000113 Clutch ROd End
$ 9.79 - 37000112 Pushrod , Clutch Release Plate
$35.81 Total

So anybody with a bad migration problem willing to spend $35.81 on boardtracker to fix it? If you live close enough to Sparks or Gilbert I'll even install this for you. I think it can all be done through the derby cover. Probably take less than an hour. By the way, this is basically the fix that Mark from Baker Driveline prescibed. I think his parts were slightly more expensive.
Very cool of you to offer to do the swap for others. ! It would be great if this is the answer. Lots of riders out there who've been dragged through the ringer trying to get this resolved. I wonder if Steve Cole has tried this on the dyno to one of his bikes? That fit issue was being tossed around many pages ago.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:32 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
It wouldn't surprise if this works.. The 37000113 Clutch ROD End blocks off the passage. It might have a small flat spot in the side like the cable operated version.. HD might have even used this version during the preproduction models and inadvertently tried a parts reduction for production.. Shot themselves (and I guess a lot of customers :-( ) in the foot, they did..

Oil is simply filling the cavity between the tranny cover and the trap door.. Oil is then trickling through the mainshaft and filling the primary. It wouldn't surprise me if the slip/assist clutch isn't aiding the transfer as it can cause the pushrod to vibrate.. Splitting the pushrod stops that issue at the cover / slave end.
I wonder if it leaves enough room for proper primary case venting? And I wonder why there are reports of 16's doing it, wouldn't they already have these parts installed?

Old 10-10-2017, 01:50 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

It wouldn't surprise if this works.. The 37000113 Clutch ROD End blocks off the passage. It might have a small flat spot in the side like the cable operated version.. HD might have even used this version during the preproduction models and inadvertently tried a parts reduction for production.. Shot themselves (and I guess a lot of customers :-( ) in the foot, they did..

Oil is simply filling the cavity between the tranny cover and the trap door.. Oil is then trickling through the mainshaft and filling the primary. It wouldn't surprise me if the slip/assist clutch isn't aiding the transfer as it can cause the pushrod to vibrate.. Splitting the pushrod stops that issue at the cover / slave end.
I wouldn't surprise me either - that's one of the only things that changed from 2016 transmissions to 2017.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I wonder if it leaves enough room for proper primary case venting? And I wonder why there are reports of 16's doing it, wouldn't they already have these parts installed?
It really doesn't take much for the primary to vent.. It should really only need to adjust slightly due to temperature change. Air inside the needs a place to expand..

I suspect that the 16s that were doing it had the leaky crank seal which HD discovered and they figured it was the fix for the M8s.. The piece that does on the trap door side probably still has the flat and it's enough to stop flow when there is no vacuum in the primary but not enough when there is.. The thing to note is that the transfer for the 16s was rare, not like the M8s

The Germans simply looked at the difference between the CVOs (they have hydraulic clutch and the slip/assist clutch) and M8s then bough the parts to from the CVO.. Hats off to them for having the initiative. Too bad the guys here haven't tried it.. I think that another simple way would be to use 2 tranny cover gaskets instead of 1.. That will double the clearance between the cover and trap door allowing oil that enters that cavity to flow out.. Slave cylinder travel needs checking tho.

The following users liked this post:
harleytuner (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by QNman
I wouldn't surprise me either - that's one of the only things that changed from 2016 transmissions to 2017.
One thing to note is that the 2016 CVOs had the S/A clutch and hydraulics but most of the rest (possibly all) had regular clutches and cables..

Old 10-10-2017, 02:39 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by dceggert
In the meantime while waiting on an official fix there is one thing that those with the issue may be able to do. In the auto business when something like this comes up the team charts commonality between the vehicles with the issue. So, what things do all of you experiencing this issue have in common?

- all bone stock? Stage I, II, or III?
- air cooled, twin cooled?
- ride easy, ride fast, ride like you stole it?
- hilly countryside, flat, city riding, mostly highway?

Not that this will fix anything but it may lead to a clue as to the root cause.
Exactly, this is a great point. My bike is bone stock, few lights added but everything else is stock. Im a flatlander and I ride it gently.........

Old 10-10-2017, 02:47 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
It left enough room for the bikes that used these in '14 to vent and the part number for the transmission main shaft is the same so there should be no problem there. My '15 RGS has a one piece pushrod in it's hydraulic clutch just like the '17's so there could have been migration in those model years also. I didn't ride the '15 long before I tore it down, so I never bothered to check the transmission oil. It was probably something I wouldn't have done anyway because I have never experienced transmissions that weren't visibly leaking being low in my 35 years of riding Harleys.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:13 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

One thing to note is that the 2016 CVOs had the S/A clutch and hydraulics but most of the rest (possibly all) had regular clutches and cables..
Nope - 2016, at least the specials (like mine), have hydraulic clutches. IIRC, they all did. You're right about the slipper's tho - only in CVO's and I think the "Low" models.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Nope - 2016, at least the specials (like mine), have hydraulic clutches. IIRC, they all did. You're right about the slipper's tho - only in CVO's and I think the "Low" models.
Non Fairing touring models had cable..

Old 10-10-2017, 05:42 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

And as I've stated before, my '15 RGS has a hydraulically actuated diaphragm clutch. Still, the high vacuum that the MOCO thinks is created in the crankcase on the '17 models may be the reason that the transfer happens and in some cases it accelerates when the engine is run at high RPM's. That's why I would like to see this push rod fix installed on a bike that is severely transferring transmission fluid. 103Eagle would be a good candidate. How about it Eagle, do you live close to Sparks, NV. or Gilbert, AZ.?

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?