Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:46 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,129 Likes on 3,647 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
October 7 Update:

Was told to ride the bike 500 miles AFTER PREVIOUS SERVICE seal/spacer/gasket/checklist fix. Checked oil at 350ish miles, no oil showing on the stick. Called dealer and was advised to bring it in. Not happy about riding it with low oil in trans so I checked with a ziptie, had about 1/2 inch of oil in bottom of case, not really an accurate way to test as level was below the stick. Was told that the MOCO would schedule a tech to inspect my bike and another as well , my bike is 1 of 2 that THIS dealer has with the same transfer issue.

Arrived at the dealer, thought I was leaving the bike, bike was taken into service. Shortly the bike was brought back outside. Service said they verified the level was low and I could take the bike home and they would call HD. I questioned riding it with very little oil and was told they would top it off. I then questioned the previous instructions from the MOCO, ride it for 500 miles and do not top off. I asked them to call the MOCO for guidance as to if I should ride it low oil or have the dealer top it off. Service went inside to call MOCO.

Service returns, takes bike back in and checks primary level and tops off trans. Service brings bike back out and I was advised that the MOCO has no fix at this time and need to return every 1000 miles for fluid checks and adjustments till further notice. Tech visit no longer scheduled. This info was after service called for guidance......... Gee, so if you take a long trip you need to find a dealer every 1k miles for a service??? Not the answer any of us were looking for and sure does not give me any confidence in the MOCO. Seemed as though the dealer service was as surprised as I was with the MOCO answer........

Like to hear if anyone else gets this answer on your next visit for oil transfer problems..............

Eagle Out

Holy cr*p.. Your episode seems to combine a lack of communication between Moco and your dealer, and/or, your dealer not being able to follow the plan of how to address the situation.Either way TONS of frustration for you.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:58 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Is there any empirical data yet that suggests a range of build dates or any other data points that may suggests it happens to every bike given the right use case? For example I have not noticed and transfer but I have not ever kept the bike at ~3500 rpm's for 5 minutes or so.

I just wouldn't want them tearing the engine apart if I don't have the problem. I guess maybe I should jump on the highway and set the cruise in a gear that keeps the bike at 3500 for 10 minutes and then see what happens? Just feels like bike abuse but in the long run don't want to have it start happening after the warranty is up!

Old 10-09-2017, 09:12 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by mchertel
I guess maybe I should jump on the highway and set the cruise in a gear that keeps the bike at 3500 for 10 minutes and then see what happens? Just feels like bike abuse but in the long run don't want to have it start happening after the warranty is up!
I'm not sure that would be the most effective test. Steve Cole has reported consistent, repeatable transfer issues and at one point indicated that 5000 rpms for 5 minutes in 2nd gear oughta' do it.

I just couldn't ever allow my bike to go through that so will just take his word on it..but your idea would be a less tortuous test to try and establish a baseline..if it does transfer then you could reasonably project it could worsen pushing further and good enough to validate the problem exists on your bike..which is all you're trying to establish anyway

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
ocezam (10-10-2017), stixvrad (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 09:20 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I'm not sure that would be the most effective test. Steve Cole has reported consistent, repeatable transfer issues and at one point indicated that 5000 rpms for 5 minutes in 2nd gear oughta' do it.

I just couldn't ever allow my bike to go through that so will just take his word on it..but your idea would be a less tortuous test to try and establish a baseline..if it does transfer then you could reasonably project it could worsen pushing further and good enough to validate the problem exists on your bike..which is all you're trying to establish anyway

I have never done that type of test. I just from time to time wind her up a bit when shifting. Run 1st, 2nd, 3rd up to 5000rpm slowly and gradually and shift. Never held it constant at 5k or above for more than a couple seconds. Riding this way transfers oil for me........I have run her up to 6000 a few times just to see if it would do it......Stage 1 map ups the rev limiter to 6250 if I am not mistaken......

Considering stock rev protection is about 5400 rpm, shifting as described won't hurt anything IMHO!

Eagle Out

The following 3 users liked this post by 103Eagle:
FM500 (10-09-2017), mjwebb (10-09-2017), stixvrad (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:16 AM
mchertel
Tourer

I have never done that type of test. I just from time to time wind her up a bit when shifting. Run 1st, 2nd, 3rd up to 5000rpm slowly and gradually and shift. Never held it constant at 5k or above for more than a couple seconds. Riding this way transfers oil for me........I have run her up to 6000 a few times just to see if it would do it......Stage 1 map ups the rev limiter to 6250 if I am not mistaken......

Considering stock rev protection is about 5400 rpm, shifting as described won't hurt anything IMHO!

Eagle Out
Good to know. I do frequently get into the 4K and above while shifting especially when riding with the MC VP, I think he must like to get bad gas mileage. Still no transfer so maybe it is not happening on all bikes. Mine's a 114 with a build date of Jan 2017 which I suppose is the final assembly date and not the engine build date so who knows.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:30 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

IMO, running these things up over 4,500 for any length of time ( several minutes or more) is bordering on abuse. I know there are those out there that run these things ragged , but piston speeds get up there. For an everyday bike you want to last, just doesn't seem like a good idea. Spin a stock 454 Chevy ( which "only "has a 4 inch stroke) above 5,500 for 5 minutes long on a regular basis and it will not reward you with years or trouble free miles.I certainly don't see how a motor like the M8 with 3/8 more stroke would like it. But opinions will vary I'm sure.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:49 AM
mchertel
Tourer

Originally Posted by stixvrad
IMO, running these things up over 4,500 for any length of time ( several minutes or more) is bordering on abuse. I know there are those out there that run these things ragged , but piston speeds get up there. For an everyday bike you want to last, just doesn't seem like a good idea. Spin a stock 454 Chevy ( which "only "has a 4 inch stroke) above 5,500 for 5 minutes long on a regular basis and it will not reward you with years or trouble free miles.I certainly don't see how a motor like the M8 with 3/8 more stroke would like it. But opinions will vary I'm sure.
Ya I tend to agree and pondering this a bit more, if I do not have any transfer in the 4 years under warranty + ESP riding it the way I do now does it really matter that I would if I pushed it harder? I am not getting any younger so don't see myself changing the way I ride at this point.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:00 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

October 7 Update:

Service returns, takes bike back in and checks primary level and tops off trans. Service brings bike back out and I was advised that the MOCO has no fix at this time and need to return every 1000 miles for fluid checks and adjustments till further notice. Tech visit no longer scheduled. This info was after service called for guidance.........

Eagle Out

While I understand that sometimes problems arise that we just can't fix right away; I am shocked in today's internet age, that MOCO has not publicly addressed the issue (or at a very minimum communicated with M8 owners) and promised an extended warranty until the issue is resolved. Talk about a PR failure!

Old 10-09-2017, 11:07 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mchertel
Ya I tend to agree and pondering this a bit more, if I do not have any transfer in the 4 years under warranty + ESP riding it the way I do now does it really matter that I would if I pushed it harder? I am not getting any younger so don't see myself changing the way I ride at this point.
That's how I'm looking at it too. The thing pulls great between idle and 4 grand even two up. It just seems pointless to wring its neck. Its actually one of the reasons I went from a high revving sport bike to an HD bagger. To chill.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:41 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
While I understand that sometimes problems arise that we just can't fix right away; I am shocked in today's internet age, that MOCO has not publicly addressed the issue (or at a very minimum communicated with M8 owners) and promised an extended warranty until the issue is resolved. Talk about a PR failure!
If they publicly addressed the issue before they have a fix can you imagine how many new claims they would get? Even after they find a fix they won't say anything publicly, they'll issue a service bulletin and fix the ones that the customers find on their own.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?