Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 07:39 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

My dealer has told me there is a fix but it’s in the final test faze...
He also said it was caused by the transmission being higher than the primary which is causing the migration.......
My bike only migrated when I has a pillion and luggage, it also only does it at low rpm, when I travel on the motorways I get no migration, but tootling about I get migration... how does that work , curiously it’s been behaving itself over the last 100 miles which makes me think the issue is with blocked vent, or vent not big enough, but what do I know, il carry on checking until this alleged fix arrives

Old 10-08-2017, 08:13 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Haven’t heard that one before. If that is the case then it’s safe to say not all bikes have the issue. Mine has never shown any migration in 6300 miles and I have never kept the RPM’s up near 3500 for 5 minutes because that is what people seem to think the use case is. Most of my riding is low RPM around town and often with a passenger.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:31 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by reddog8145
That would be great. Do you mind me asking who your dealer is?

it also only does it at low rpm, when I travel on the motorways I get no migration, but tootling about I get migration...
That's contrary to every situation I've heard so far. Strange...

Last edited by ocezam; 10-08-2017 at 09:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 09:34 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

If there is a fix I wonder if they will recall all bikes, or just the ones reporting problems?

Old 10-08-2017, 10:39 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

If there's a fix, I wonder why they spent all that time and money putting the same ole spacer and seal in my bike and keeping it for 2 months.

ocezam (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 12:17 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

He also said it was caused by the transmission being higher than the primary which is causing the migration.......
I think I would get a different dealer, which because of your location probably wouldn't be easy. The transmission is basically in the same position it has always been in relation to the primary. The transmission level isn't as high as the main shaft so it is not just running across because of gravity. It is either being pushed or drawn as it gathers at the end of the main shaft, which seems to be related to the secondary actuator for the hydraulic clutch.

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
If there is a fix I wonder if they will recall all bikes, or just the ones reporting problems?
You know that would probably depend on whether they consider the condition life threatening and on how expensive the fix is.

ocezam (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 12:24 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,273 Likes on 4,442 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Unless it becomes an official safety recall... the MoCo won't spend any more money than they have to....

They'll fix those that complain while under warranty... all others, and complaints after the warranty runs out, will be on their own...

BS way to handle it, but if I were a betting man, I would put a chunk of change on it .....

Old 10-08-2017, 12:40 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
If there's a fix, I wonder why they spent all that time and money putting the same ole spacer and seal in my bike and keeping it for 2 months.
Yeah, if anybody has a good reason to be pissed about the situation I would think it to be you. Looks like they are using your bike as a Guinea pig to see what works. The least they could have done is let you ride it in the process. What I find interesting is that the two people reporting the situation cured, psyshack and smitty901, attest that the cure was replacing the top gasket and yet, Steve Cole believes transmission case pressure has nothing to do with the problem. What this makes me believe is that maybe there is more than one cause that is ending in the same effect. If the gasket is the cause that should happen no matter how you ride the bike because heat would cause pressure and would happen at any rpm and riding conditions. If vacuum is the culprit then higher rpm and maybe engine braking would affect the transfer.

ocezam (10-08-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 06:38 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
That would be great. Do you mind me asking who your dealer is?

That's contrary to every situation I've heard so far. Strange...
My dealer is Bowker Harley Davidson in Preston in the UK.
They have always been a pretty good dealer for me and has looked after all my Harley’s. I’ve had some really sh#* service from other dealers in the past but Bowker have always been on the ball.

When I reported the migration they checked the primary and found it had migrated 1/2 ltr over roughly 2000 miles.
They reported the issue to HD tech but got no reply, they escalated it to Milwaukee but after 3 weeks there had been no reply. As a result they took it to the head of HD operations Europe who I understand contacted Milwaukee and got that answer. I am always sceptical re things like this but I know the guys a Bowker and they are not the types who blow smoke up your a#*%.

I know my migration is almost opposite to what others are reporting on this forum. I have been riding solo for the
last 100 + miles and had no migration, I plan a two up trip in the coming week and shall check the fluid carefully.

I’ve also been checking the level hot and cold, cold before a ride, hot immediately after and then cold after the motor is compleatly cold. All checks are done with the bike in the exact same location in the garage and I get the same reading hot or cold.

My dealer has told me he will keep me in the loop, so il give it a few weeks yet.

Ride safe.

ocezam (10-10-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 07:10 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

October 7 Update:

Was told to ride the bike 500 miles AFTER PREVIOUS SERVICE seal/spacer/gasket/checklist fix. Checked oil at 350ish miles, no oil showing on the stick. Called dealer and was advised to bring it in. Not happy about riding it with low oil in trans so I checked with a ziptie, had about 1/2 inch of oil in bottom of case, not really an accurate way to test as level was below the stick. Was told that the MOCO would schedule a tech to inspect my bike and another as well , my bike is 1 of 2 that THIS dealer has with the same transfer issue.

Arrived at the dealer, thought I was leaving the bike, bike was taken into service. Shortly the bike was brought back outside. Service said they verified the level was low and I could take the bike home and they would call HD. I questioned riding it with very little oil and was told they would top it off. I then questioned the previous instructions from the MOCO, ride it for 500 miles and do not top off. I asked them to call the MOCO for guidance as to if I should ride it low oil or have the dealer top it off. Service went inside to call MOCO.

Service returns, takes bike back in and checks primary level and tops off trans. Service brings bike back out and I was advised that the MOCO has no fix at this time and need to return every 1000 miles for fluid checks and adjustments till further notice. Tech visit no longer scheduled. This info was after service called for guidance......... Gee, so if you take a long trip you need to find a dealer every 1k miles for a service??? Not the answer any of us were looking for and sure does not give me any confidence in the MOCO. Seemed as though the dealer service was as surprised as I was with the MOCO answer........

Like to hear if anyone else gets this answer on your next visit for oil transfer problems..............

Eagle Out

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?