Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 02:23 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
The other night I did my 15K service. I haven't been transferring any oil, so I just dumped in the 28oz (as measured in my Ratio-rite. Ran the engine to operating temp in the garage to get a hot engine oil reading. Added the required amount and shut it down. The next morning I checked the trans and needed to add 6oz exactly to bring it to the full line. Still at the full line this morning. The primary is right where it always is. Strange stuff.
that is odd..it took 30 oz for my trans to read Full..drained cold on the jiffy stand..for whatever reason they omitted the part of bringing the engine to operating temperature on the changing transmission fluid instruction, unlike as stated for engine oil and Primary fluid..also have noticed that upright or on jiffy stand didn't matter for trans fluid level check since my wife's Freewheeler registers exactly the same..guess it just isn't an exact science in this regard

The following users liked this post:
$tonecold (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 03:43 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

The other night I did my 15K service. I haven't been transferring any oil, so I just dumped in the 28oz (as measured in my Ratio-rite. Ran the engine to operating temp in the garage to get a hot engine oil reading. Added the required amount and shut it down. The next morning I checked the trans and needed to add 6oz exactly to bring it to the full line. Still at the full line this morning. The primary is right where it always is. Strange stuff.
Did you check your transmission after you added the oil? If not, maybe your ratiorite isn’t accurate. I poured a quart in when I did my service and it was right at the full mark cold. Also I don’t see how it would transfer if it wasn’t running, but you weren’t inferring it did as you said the primary was at the correct level.

Last edited by $tonecold; 10-06-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:20 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Did you check your transmission after you added the oil? If not, maybe your ratiorite isn’t accurate. I poured a quart in when I did my service and it was right at the full mark cold. Also I don’t see how it would transfer if it wasn’t running, but you weren’t inferring it did as you said the primary was at the correct level.
Nah it didn't transfer, and I didn't check it after adding the 28oz. I suppose it's possible that a Ratio-rite isn't accurate, but it kind of seems that it has one job, and it does it.

It sounds like mine needs 2oz more to be full than yours does, but both need more than the 28oz that Harley recommends.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:15 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Nah it didn't transfer, and I didn't check it after adding the 28oz. I suppose it's possible that a Ratio-rite isn't accurate, but it kind of seems that it has one job, and it does it.

It sounds like mine needs 2oz more to be full than yours does, but both need more than the 28oz that Harley recommends.
Yeah I think the manual even says 28 oz. is approximate. That’s probably the reason so many have had a service done at the dealership and found they were low right afterwards, the tech puts in 28 oz. and calls it good, doesn’t check the level. I imagine there is more than one mold for these transmission cases, wouldn’t be hard for the volume to vary from one to the other.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:51 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, since beating on it and getting dyno tuned in early Spring then noticed it dropping and posting about it here, then following Steve Cole's advice, I have put 10,000 miles on my bike, mostly long Touring mile trips with our friends..I kept checking it and as i noticed it was not exhibiting the same condition I gradually extended the frequency of checking while gradually pushing it a little harder as needed up to around 4K rpms, and a little more here and there in short bursts, and I've not been having to add fluid. So as far as my riding behavior is concerned, I haven't felt the power lacking or not performing the way I need it to. keep in mind when I began noticing the issue it was only resulting in the level dropping from Full to Add on the dipstick or thereabouts, nowhere near as severe as subsequent posters started reporting. But as mentioned, the fact that it was dropping at all was cause for concern because it was nothing I have ever noticed in my prior Harleys. I suppose it's possible that if I held it at 5 K rpms for an extended run I could see the issue return, ..at this point after 1 year and over 15000 miles I've enjoyed the Hell out of my Road King and this issue is not at all something I lose sleep over.

My wife has over 13000 miles on her M8 Freewheeler and has never been down a drop, she is more conservative with her throttle hand than I am tho. Her trike consumes more engine oil than my bike does tho
That's a fair and honest evaluation. Thanks.

This sentence strikes a chord with me. "I suppose it's possible that if I held it at 5 K rpms for an extended run I could see the issue return."

The first time (four or five months ago) I read this thread coincided with my loading a FuelMoto map into my new PowerVision tuner and taking it for a few "extra spirited" rides to fill in empty cells in the canned map. Therefore I rode about 40 miles in a manner that I'd never do again. Kind of like an all out dyno run (or two). Extended time at high rpm with partial throttle, time at high rpm with full throttle. Low RPM with full and partial throttle etc. I was trying to fill all the cells that I didn't get to with "normal riding". For those that have never done this please understand this lasts for a very short while. Like a dyno run it's a bit weird, but you're not abusing the bike. Your bike should last a decade or more, even under these "weird" conditions for extended periods.

It was during this tank of fuel (less than a tank by far) that my bike simply puked most of the trans fluid to the primary. It was shocking. I'm talking about musch less than an hour of riding. Kind of like Steve Cole's reaction with several bikes on his dyno. I would not have noticed without this thread.

Since then my worst transfer was a two hour drive at 85 to 95 mph on the interstate. This was significant transfer, but not as overwhelming as a dyno run, or an attempt to fill in odd cells on a canned map. And "regular riding" commuting to and form work etc, results in minimal transfer. Therefore, my bike may never have been as bad at the transfering compared to those who think they have "no transfer" and others who think they have "moderate transfer" but have never pushed their bike for even a small amount of time.

But most importantly, no matter how you ride your bike, This $hit shouldn't happen at all!!!!!

I've been riding since 1971. In competition, for enjoyment, and for simple transportation. We should not accept this situation as OK! Were it not for this thread, and a couple other threads on other forums, I would have never checked my tranny fluid. Haven't in 40 years except for bikes that shared fluid with the engine. You shouldn't have to accept it either.

There's a solution to this somewhere. I'm afraid the MoCo knows it's "too expensive" to acknowledge the solution.

Ask yourself, "Who can afford the solution better, HD or you and I"? If you "think" your bike is immune to this situation, it probably isn't. We pay premium prices for our HD's. We should expect a premium product.

Did you lay out $25k to $45k for this ****? I didn't.

Peace out....

Last edited by ocezam; 10-06-2017 at 09:10 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by ocezam:
$tonecold (10-06-2017), badcooky (10-06-2017), FM500 (10-07-2017), jamala00 (10-07-2017), mjwebb (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 10:13 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

After I made a new trans cover gasket after I found the hole south of one of the bolt holes as small as a pin ***** and plugged at that and added a hole in the solid part of the gasket that acts as a splash guard for the front gear set i've had no transfer. None it's gone done and over with.

When the wife and I made the Bike Blues and BBQ day run our goal was to Blow the bike up and scrap it out and eat it. Or decide if we wanted to keep it with all it's bipolar issues or part it out on ebay and recoup our money over the long run. After the tranny gasket all transfer stopped.

We rode the hell out of the bike! Ground the board supports, twisted the frame, made the front brake rotors change to a bronze / tin color. Beat on the farm tractor transmission like a step child and proved HD hasn't one damn clue what a slipper clutch really is, the idiots. The forks tried like hell to do there job. The rear shocks a complete failure in anything but a straight line,, made the bike waddle in corners and shake it's head. You don't like that mother farker take this!

We fell for the bike. I pushed it way hard. The wife felt out the rear end and only asked that I don't drag a hand and keep the front wheel on the ground. And to her credit the rear does get a tad stupid if you wheelie the King. But it two wheel drifts and plays almost well.

I rode the bike to work this week for 2 of the 5 days. Rain and lack of sleep kept me off the other three days. Tranny fluid still perfect. We are keeping our King. Now to find out why the rockers and valves rattle like China junk with above spec oil pressure.

Thank God This Is My Last Modern Harley!

Last edited by psyshack; 10-06-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Modern
The following 2 users liked this post by psyshack:
$tonecold (10-06-2017), 103Eagle (10-09-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 07:10 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,384 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Still no more migration on mine . After next weekends trip it will have over 5,000 miles on sense they looked it over at HD.
I guess some will thank god it is their last Harley. We will pray for many more years of riding and needing a new one of two before we are done.

The following 4 users liked this post by smitty901:
FM500 (10-08-2017), mjwebb (10-07-2017), stixvrad (10-09-2017), TomcatCV62 (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 12:07 PM
14Glide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Can somebody sum up the current status of this issue? This thread is getting really long at 187 pages and is hard to keep up. Has anybody figured out exactly what is causing the transfer? Has the MOCO acknowledged a problem? Have they offered any fix? Has anybody had their bike fixed that solved the problem? Waiting to pull trigger on M8.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:36 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by 14Glide
Can somebody sum up the current status of this issue? This thread is getting really long at 187 pages and is hard to keep up. Has anybody figured out exactly what is causing the transfer? Has the MOCO acknowledged a problem? Have they offered any fix? Has anybody had their bike fixed that solved the problem? Waiting to pull trigger on M8.
If you read the last 50 pages you’ll get answers to most of your questions. Basically, this is a problem that affects some bikes. About 1/3 of the M8’s on this site according to a poll that was taken. Probably a smaller percentage of total sales. If you ask any service manager at any dealership he will have never heard of it. The MOCO seems to feel it’s caused by crankcase vacuum sucking past the main seal. Apparently in some cases, like with psyshack, it can be caused by a transmission that is not venting. Some that have experienced it are no longer after getting some miles on their machines. Some have had dealer repairs that haven’t worked, not sure if there have been dealer repairs that did work. Basically I wouldn’t let this stop me from buying an M8. If you’re thinking about a new softail they have cable actuated clutches, so they’re not likely to transfer. Even if you’re going touring I wouldn’t hesitate, the M8 is a much better power plant than the Twincam. You will enjoy it much more than you expect. Just don’t go past stage 2 upgrade.

The following 3 users liked this post by $tonecold:
FM500 (10-08-2017), mjwebb (10-07-2017), stixvrad (10-09-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 04:56 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,384 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Glide
Some did it a lot some did it a little seems most not at all.
Mine did not , then it did.
It went to HD they got it in . Removed transmission cover, inspected gasket, replaced a O ring that I think had nothing to do with it. blew out some passages in the area of the cover.
Had it back now about 4,500 miles couple longer trip couple short ones. No more problem. I have been checking mine by opening the primary to look for more lube than there should be. I have a wheel chalk installed in garage I pull it in . When it is cool I open primary and check. No change what so ever sense the service.

Last edited by smitty901; 10-07-2017 at 04:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (10-07-2017)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?