Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 03:53 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Temporarily venting the primary would seem pretty easy. Take an old derby cover and drill and tap it up high around the 12:00 position. Install an AN fitting. Attach a decent length of hose and route it up vertically and zip tie it off. Run it on a dyno or ride it.
I would think that would be fairly cost effective to try... Steve Cole, is that within the realm of possibilities?

Old 10-04-2017, 03:55 PM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by $tonecold
To vent the crankcase if you want to maintain some vacuum you would have to use a check valve that released at a certain pressure. I imagine that it could solve the transfer problem and maybe the sumping problem. I still think the final solution to the transfer problem may be to vent the primary. I think a vent on the backside of the inner primary running to the top cover of the transmission could work.
Venting from primary to trans might at least equalize the pressure more readily than sucking fluid... BUT with all the moving parts, I'd be afraid it might just migrate more slowly, unless the trans connections were somehow splash-guarded.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:04 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I've watched this thread with great interest. I have not experienced any transfer on my M8 Tri Glide, but due to this thread I do now keep an eye on it.

Some have said that there were a few 2016 bikes that had the transfer issue. When did the narrow primary come into play? Just spit balling, but could the reduced area cause this? Looking into the primary from the derby cover the clutch hub area is different since they went to the hydraulic clutch. What else in the primary changed? Like stated above, venting the primary would be an easy check, especially for those who have access to a dyno. Again, just spit balling since nothing else seems to have cured the problem.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:27 PM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by The Q
I've watched this thread with great interest. I have not experienced any transfer on my M8 Tri Glide, but due to this thread I do now keep an eye on it.

Some have said that there were a few 2016 bikes that had the transfer issue. When did the narrow primary come into play? Just spit balling, but could the reduced area cause this? Looking into the primary from the derby cover the clutch hub area is different since they went to the hydraulic clutch. What else in the primary changed? Like stated above, venting the primary would be an easy check, especially for those who have access to a dyno. Again, just spit balling since nothing else seems to have cured the problem.
I have the narrow primary - no transfer here.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:33 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
Venting from primary to trans might at least equalize the pressure more readily than sucking fluid... BUT with all the moving parts, I'd be afraid it might just migrate more slowly, unless the trans connections were somehow splash-guarded.
If you run it into the top cover on the transmission vent side it will be above the top cover gasket which is basically a splash guard. Since the problem seems to be vacuum, it should draw in from the transmission vent.

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Temporarily venting the primary would seem pretty easy. Take an old derby cover and drill and tap it up high around the 12:00 position. Install an AN fitting. Attach a decent length of hose and route it up vertically and zip tie it off. Run it on a dyno or ride it.
Using a derby cover to check this could work, but there won't be any old derby covers, it is a new part for 2017. I don't imagine there are very many of these laying around.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:52 PM
QNman
Supporter

If you run it into the top cover on the transmission vent side it will be above the top cover gasket which is basically a splash guard. Since the problem seems to be vacuum, it should draw in from the transmission vent.
That would work. Probably harder to install than a temporary vent into the derby cover. If the derby cover vent worked, I'd want to try this.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:18 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Using a derby cover to check this could work, but there won't be any old derby covers, it is a new part for 2017. I don't imagine there are very many of these laying around.

People are always buying 'themed' H-D Derby Covers so there may be a few to be had..

Old 10-04-2017, 05:25 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

[QUOTE=
Using a derby cover to check this could work, but there won't be any old derby covers, it is a new part for 2017. I don't imagine there are very many of these laying around.[/QUOTE]

Primary covers are the same on all narrow case including the 2016's.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:10 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
Primary covers are the same on all narrow case including the 2016's.
You are right, I stand corrected

Old 10-05-2017, 03:06 AM
FM500
Road Master
Received 3,800 Likes on 678 Posts

My Questions up to now.

What will happen, if the transmission vent hose from the top of the transmission cover is directly connected to the top of the inner primary housing? The pressure/vacuum should be identical in both cases. Right?
If yes, the sucking of oil over the mainshaft may stop?

Last edited by FM500; 10-05-2017 at 06:31 AM.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?