Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

The build date on my M8 was 10/11/16. So far I have moved fluid from the primary back to the transmission two times.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:00 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016CTRoadGlide
My bike has 9300 miles on it and I put on 3000 since last oil change. Gonna take it in for the 10k soon and will have all three fluids changed.

Thanks for the heads up!
Just FYI - the trans fluid change isn't a checklist item for the 10K service... sounds like your dealership would be willing to do it but you might have to ask for it specifically

Old 06-14-2017, 08:30 PM
blacktop37
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

4/17 build date RK. 670 miles now. Filled it to top of full line at 500. It took 4 oz.Going to check at 1000 mi. I will do the service. Checked the fluids after purchase as soon as I drove motorcycle home from the dealer. I didn't look close as I figured they checked upon setup. I seem to remember tranny was full, cant remember for sure. I know it was close. I was very careful on the 500 break in miles. I think it transferred 4 oz. we will see. If true I think it will be a problem they will have to own up too. It would be to our advantage if this is a real problem rather than "kinda" as they will have to make it right.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:44 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Just FYI - the trans fluid change isn't a checklist item for the 10K service...
it ain't on the Owner's Manual maintenance schedule but dealers from my experience don't follow that exactly..the ones I have used and seen do all 3 fluids every 5 K and even spark plugs, some may extend those items..and yes, I find it ridiculous you can't just get dealerships to adhere to the MOCO schedule and charge accordingly, which should be considerably less which is why I do a lot of my own basic maintenance

Last edited by mjwebb; 06-14-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:12 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,271 Likes on 4,441 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
it ain't on the Owner's Manual maintenance schedule but dealers from my experience don't follow that exactly..the ones I have used and seen do all 3 fluids every 5 K and even spark plugs, some may extend those items..and yes, I find it ridiculous you can't just get dealerships to adhere to the MOCO schedule and charge accordingly, which should be considerably less which is why I do a lot of my own basic maintenance
You can have them do what you want, you just have to tell them......

My 5K service snuck up on me and I needed it done ASAP, before a trip. I went to a local dealer. I noticed that they had a couple items "added" to the 5K service checklist. I told them, "I'd like a 5K service, but the one in the owner's manual, not the one on your sign." He tried to up sell me, and I told him if they are unable to perform a service as required by the MoCo, I'll just go elsewhere....

They did the service, without the extras......... now I keep parts on hand to service both my bikes, so I don't have to go back to them in a time pinch....

Old 06-14-2017, 09:22 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
You can have them do what you want, you just have to tell them......

My 5K service snuck up on me and I needed it done ASAP, before a trip. I went to a local dealer. I noticed that they had a couple items "added" to the 5K service checklist. I told them, "I'd like a 5K service, but the one in the owner's manual, not the one on your sign." He tried to up sell me, and I told him if they are unable to perform a service as required by the MoCo, I'll just go elsewhere....

They did the service, without the extras......... now I keep parts on hand to service both my bikes, so I don't have to go back to them in a time pinch....
i realize that, but the cost difference isn't enough to justify having the 'unnecessary extras' omitted from my experience, so you basically end up with a really expensive oil change while they do a Inspect Inspect Inspect walk around.....with 2 M8's we'd go broke having the dealer service both every 5K especially with the 12K + annual miles apiece we average.....DIY as much as you can is the way to go for us

Last edited by mjwebb; 06-14-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:52 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

While traveling south on the interstate a couple of weeks ago we stopped at a local HD store to check it out. I noticed a poster on the wall back by their service department which was extolling the virtues of letting them handle your next oil change. I noticed that they were suggesting that fluids be changed every 2500 miles. I saw the service manager getting a cup of coffee and asked him why the MOCO recommends that fluids be changed every 5000 miles and yet his dealership recommends changing fluids every 2500 miles. He immediately got defensive and launched into this big speech on the heat being hard on engine oil etc., etc. I listened to this fecal matter about 15 seconds before I just walked away from him. I wondered to myself if he is one of those jack legs who is still telling people that they have to have the dealer service their bikes or their warranties will be voided.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:20 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
While traveling south on the interstate a couple of weeks ago we stopped at a local HD store to check it out. I noticed a poster on the wall back by their service department which was extolling the virtues of letting them handle your next oil change. I noticed that they were suggesting that fluids be changed every 2500 miles. I saw the service manager getting a cup of coffee and asked him why the MOCO recommends that fluids be changed every 5000 miles and yet his dealership recommends changing fluids every 2500 miles. He immediately got defensive and launched into this big speech on the heat being hard on engine oil etc., etc. I listened to this fecal matter about 15 seconds before I just walked away from him. I wondered to myself if he is one of those jack legs who is still telling people that they have to have the dealer service their bikes or their warranties will be voided.
The problem is that 95% of the guys that buy these bike only ride them on the weekend for short hops to show off the new chrome gooogaaa. Oil takes a beating.. 2500 is not a bad idea under these circumstances.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:56 PM
fwj
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

This is my first holiday, where one of my saddlebags is filled with "Harley care" stuff. Trans oil, little funnel, big syringe to get oil out of primary, empty oil bottle for excessive oil.......sucks...

Old 06-15-2017, 12:46 AM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
The problem is that 95% of the guys that buy these bike only ride them on the weekend for short hops to show off the new chrome gooogaaa. Oil takes a beating.. 2500 is not a bad idea under these circumstances.
Add to that the guys who think that they are 'riding' when commuting 9 miles each way in city traffic, then stopping at the grocery store to pick up a sixer on the way home.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?