Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 06:05 PM
Settertude
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
1. If they new the answer, they'd likely know the fix..

2. Kinda hard to misalign a gasket, bolts kinda hold the gasket in position..
"cases"--not gaskets.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Settertude
"cases"--not gaskets.
Sorry.. The case thing is not an issue.. Someones SWAG..

Old 10-01-2017, 09:35 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by fourburgs
Brought my bike in today along with 5 other bikes from my chapter . Hog rep announced the problem today at our meeting . He said they do not know of the fix but are working close with the MOCO. Can't wait to see where this goes . Meanwhile no bike for next week or so . THIS SUCKS !
**** dude...... you should be lucky if you're only down for a few weeks....... my bike has been at the dealers for 2 months now! Hopefully I get it back this week........?

Old 10-01-2017, 09:50 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Question: My 2017 Ultra Limited is still not migrating with about 6K on the clock now.

Why are some bikes not having the issue?
IMHO if you have gone 6K and haven't experience transfer yet you probably won't. It seems quite a few of the bikes that were tranferring stopped or slowed down as they got some miles on them. The MOCO says the transfer is caused by vacuum in the crankcase pulling past the main seal. So supposing this is the reason, then it is only happening on bikes that have a seal problem or that are developing more than normal vacuum on the crankcase.
Question: I have heard it opined that the 'cause' is improperly aligned cases at assembly. Is this possible?
As for your second question, there are dowel pins that align the cases to each other, so I'm not even sure that is a possibility.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:23 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Has any owner with the transfer had HD recapture their engine for factory examination?

Old 10-01-2017, 10:33 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by PA1195
Has any owner with the transfer had HD recapture their engine for factory examination?
Motojockey had a transmission replaced and it didn't solve the problem. As for as replacing engines I think that is mostly for the sumping issue. It is quite possible that they will end up with several whole motorcycles that have this problem when some of the owners file lemon law actions and win. It has gotten to that point for quite a few that have been suffering with transfer problems.

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 10:48 PM
PA1195
Road Captain

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Motojockey had a transmission replaced and it didn't solve the problem. As for as replacing engines I think that is mostly for the sumping issue. It is quite possible that they will end up with several whole motorcycles that have this problem when some of the owners file lemon law actions and win. It has gotten to that point for quite a few that have been suffering with transfer problems.
The reason I asked about a recapture was to have them examine the affected engine and transmission as a unit in factory under controlled conditions, but only if they're interested. Replacing a transmission might work as a fix, but then who compares the bad old parts with the good parts to see what's causing the problem? That also assumes the new transmission is an improved part over the old and not just the same unit.

Asking the Dealer and owner to fix it means to me that HD...either already knows the source of the problems but ???, or is delaying the in-house recapture exam for whatever reason suits them.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:50 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

And if this latest fix, the seal/spacer setup, doesn't take care of it, my next requests are: 1- a new fresh 114" stage 4 and tranny replacement. 2- a whole new bike. 3- a complete buy back and I'll be back in 2019 to get a new bike from them. The dealership is not my issue, I respect what they have done and are trying to do. It's MoCo that needs to make this right, be it option 1, 2, or 3. I'll know more by the middle of next week when we throw a UV light inside of the primary case to see if there is any dye in it or not. I'm not holding my breath, but I have to admit, I've been looking at a lot of SG's on the HD website as a possible replacement bike, lol!

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 11:35 PM
PA1195
Road Captain

If HD KNOWS the replacement seal/washer IS the fix then why bother with a dye check? If they're still investigating a year later then what's new for 2018 models that'll solve it?

I see the 2018 Softails have a revised transmission plus current seals and whatever. So that soon to be revealed experience plus future 2018 Touring models should indicate if they have implemented running improvements.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:18 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by PA1195
If HD KNOWS the replacement seal/washer IS the fix then why bother with a dye check? If they're still investigating a year later then what's new for 2018 models that'll solve it?

I see the 2018 Softails have a revised transmission plus current seals and whatever. So that soon to be revealed experience plus future 2018 Touring models should indicate if they have implemented running improvements.
where would I find that info mate , I'm picking up my new Softail tomorrow and I'd like to rest a little more easy.
To my knowledge no Softies have sumped or migrated oil???

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?