Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:59 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
There is no slinger on the pushrod on a 2017 Touring bike. I added one to the end of the mainshaft but that didn't fix it. Very limited space to work with. The passageway I am talking about is the mainshaft.
Thanks for the reply. If no slinger I would assume something else changed to oil that area. Hope you or MOCO enventually figures out a solution.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Michaelpost
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

How do we explain the instances of bikes getting better with more miles?

Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelpost
How do we explain the instances of bikes getting better with more miles?
As of yet, we don't.

Interesting question though. Maybe after some miles the clearance/fit between the pushrod and mainshaft get larger? Although I can't see how a larger mainshaft bore would help the situation. Back to head scratching.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:11 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Installing an o-ring on the pushrod has been done for years. While it would stop the transfer it also takes the venting away from the Primary area which isn't a good thing. The guys that came up with the o-ring trick did it to stop oil seapage from having an open belt drive primary. Never a real leak like we have today just the fumes would come out and get a light oil film on the belt drive over time. Later on they came out with a sealed nut you installed that did the same thing. The things I have done and worked on were an attempt to keep the oil from getting into the passageway to start with. Yes, we have had success but not a complete fix. The real problem is what is causing the oil level to rise to the point of the passageway in the first place. I am still looking to get new bearings with a seal in them to stop the oil path into this area, as that is where I feel it is coming from in the first place.
I'm not sure what you are seeing here that I'm not. The bearing housing assembly has more than one opening in it, so I don't see how a sealed bearing would help unless you think the bearing is forcing oil into the secondary clutch actuator. It may be that the only cure for this is to seal the main shaft and vent the primary separately. The problem with that is where the vent would be placed as the primary chain is slinging the oil in the primary around the perimeter and would force the primary oil out if the vent isn't in the right place. The oil slinger in the cable clutch models might be the only thing that kept this malady from happening with them.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

I can verify that mine's definitely slowed down substantially. Whether it's coincidental I'm not certain, but at 5K I serviced it with Spectro 75/140.

Temps have pushed the 90's lately, so twice now I've ran the 2nd gear/50mph test for six solid minutes and have seen VERY little transfer. It's good enough for me, and I dang sure ain't running that test again.

Felt guilty putting the bike through it.

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (10-05-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 09:32 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
I finally got a chance to get a few miles on mine since the spacer and seal. 145 miles and I already have evidence of transfer.....gee big surprise there! Steve please let us know ASAP what the special top secret part is.......maybe its a 2018 that transfers oil.............OOPS, I mean one that does not transfer........

I sure hope the MOCO keeps thrownin mud at the wall and gets some to stick.........

Eagle Out

Well Eagle, that's pretty disheartening....... My Spacer/Seal arrived at the shop 3 weeks ago and while they were using the cool Seal Puller tool that Milwaukee sent them to pull my seal out, the Crankcase got boogered up because it was the wrong tool. So then MoCo had to send out the correct puller as well as a new Case before they could go any further. As of today, I'm still down and it's been just under 2 months in the shop. I already informed the Service Mgr that if this "Fix" doesn't work, he, myself, and the dealership Mgr need to sit down to figure out the next move. New motor/tranny, new 2017 bike, new 2016 bike with lots of goodies, or maybe a full blown buy back. My 2017 King is built to 114" stage 4 so that comes into play too. Hell, I don't know....... Just want my damn bike back.

ocezam (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Well Eagle, that's pretty disheartening....... My Spacer/Seal arrived at the shop 3 weeks ago and while they were using the cool Seal Puller tool that Milwaukee sent them to pull my seal out, the Crankcase got boogered up because it was the wrong tool. So then MoCo had to send out the correct puller as well as a new Case before they could go any further. As of today, I'm still down and it's been just under 2 months in the shop. I already informed the Service Mgr that if this "Fix" doesn't work, he, myself, and the dealership Mgr need to sit down to figure out the next move. New motor/tranny, new 2017 bike, new 2016 bike with lots of goodies, or maybe a full blown buy back. My 2017 King is built to 114" stage 4 so that comes into play too. Hell, I don't know....... Just want my damn bike back.
Man it just keeps on goin don't it? Man what a joke, next thing ya know the MOCO will start giving us new motor/trans assemblies cuz they cant figure out whats causing the transfer...........

Our luck would be getting a new assembly and the transfer is gone but now they sump......

Eagle Out

Old 09-26-2017, 08:59 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

On another note, considering filing a Lemon Law as in Ohio motorcycles are covered. Yes they need ample time and 3 attempts to fix a problem in order to qualify and we are still working on that but......

From Ohio Attorney General Lemon Law webpage........

Has one unsuccessful attempt been made to fix a problem that could cause death or serious injury?

Thinking of filing such a complaint as no one knows for sure if a trans with low oil could do this.......I would think low lube could cause a bearing failure or lock up quite easily....not good goin down the superslab bout 70mph......

Just thinkin out loud, and yes going to file a complaint with the NHTSA or whatever it is....

Eagle Out

Last edited by 103Eagle; 09-26-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:10 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
On another note, considering filing a Lemon Law as in Ohio motorcycles are covered. Yes they need ample time and 3 attempts to fix a problem in order to qualify and we are still working on that but......

From Ohio Attorney General Lemon Law webpage........

Has one unsuccessful attempt been made to fix a problem that could cause death or serious injury?

Thinking of filing such a complaint as no one knows for sure if a trans with low oil could do this.......I would think low lube could cause a bearing failure or lock up quite easily....not good goin down the superslab bout 70mph......

Just thinkin out loud, and yes going to file a complaint with the NHTSA or whatever it is....

Eagle Out
If those of us that are suffering profusely (not me at this time) with this problem start filing claims under the lemon laws I would bet that the MOCO would put more resources toward this and find a cure. It appears that the spacer and seal are not the answer.

ocezam (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 11:31 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,128 Likes on 3,647 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Damn... FWIW, if it were me, considering all you've been through if this doens't work, I'd want my $ back. That way I can wait to see if Moco straightens out the few issues on the M8 so you can have confidence in buying back into HD.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?