Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:49 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
The seal you talk about is for the crank shaft, right?
I am guessing that they can access that by pulling the primary cover off.
Surely they don't have to pull the engine and split the cases to replace the seal.
Yes crankshaft seal, under the compensator sprocket, its the same seal as original. The spacer has a revision, have not actually viewed the old vs. the new type. Speculation is there is a lead or bevel so the seal is not torn on installation.

The Outer primary needs to be removed as well as the comensator, not sure about the clutch pack or anything else. Dealer said couple hours labor.

Eagle Out

Old 09-15-2017, 10:51 AM
103Eagle
Road Master

Originally Posted by borrec
Funny they are waiting on a top cover gasket. As stated earlier no change to that part number or design. So why would a new gasket of the same design have any effect?

I am only speculating here......maybe to check and make sure it was located correctly during the original build, cut correctly for the vent hole, etc. and yes the part number is the same, no revision or change in design from what I was told.

Eagle Out

Old 09-15-2017, 10:54 AM
103Eagle
Road Master

Originally Posted by Retrop
Unclear here. You mention "top cover gasket". Are you talking about the gasket for the transmission cover?
If that is indeed what you are referring to then that part may be a crucial fix in the migration issue. I mention this because several people on this forum have played with enlarging or elongating one of the vent holes in the original gasket with some success. If the MOCO was aware of this they might have ordered new gaskets to replace the OEM gaskets.

Yes the top cover gasket, like the old style rachet tops on the trans. The gasket that is mentioned in your post and the elongated hole fix mentioned as well. Funny but never heard back from that poster over there if his fix had worked completely or on a number of bikes......

Eagle Out

Old 09-15-2017, 10:57 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Funny but never heard back from that poster over there if his fix had worked completely or on a number of bikes......

Eagle Out

I'm sure we would have heard over here if it had worked out

Old 09-15-2017, 03:53 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts
Default Checking Transmission Fluid

So yesterday I checked my transmission fluid. I looked in the operators manual and it said to check the level with the motorcycle on the jiffy stand. I checked the service manual and it said the same thing. I check the fluid level this way and it wouldn't even touch the dip stick. So today I stopped by the dealer and talked to the service manager. He said he was pretty certain this is a misprint, that the level should be check with the bike upright as it was in previous years. So which is it guys, upright or on the side stand. It has always been upright before and the dip stick doesn't appear to be any longer than in previous years, so I'm leaning towards upright.
So if it is upright and you were to bring the level up to the full level while the bike is on the side stand I am pretty sure that there would probably be transmission fluid migrating to the primary. I am going to check the primary fluid when I get back to where my bike is and if there is migration it should be evident because I am using Redline tranny oil which is pink. Let you know what I find the first of the week.

The following users liked this post:
Steel Wheels (09-16-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 04:06 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

I've always checked on the jiffy stand. If the owners and shop manuals still say so I'm not buying your dealers line.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:07 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
So yesterday I checked my transmission fluid. I looked in the operators manual and it said to check the level with the motorcycle on the jiffy stand. I checked the service manual and it said the same thing. I check the fluid level this way and it wouldn't even touch the dip stick. So today I stopped by the dealer and talked to the service manager. He said he was pretty certain this is a misprint, that the level should be check with the bike upright as it was in previous years. So which is it guys, upright or on the side stand. It has always been upright before and the dip stick doesn't appear to be any longer than in previous years, so I'm leaning towards upright.
So if it is upright and you were to bring the level up to the full level while the bike is on the side stand I am pretty sure that there would probably be transmission fluid migrating to the primary. I am going to check the primary fluid when I get back to where my bike is and if there is migration it should be evident because I am using Redline tranny oil which is pink. Let you know what I find the first of the week.
If the dipstick is hinged, it's for the jiffy stand. If it's solid, it's for upright.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:07 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Pretty sure for the trans it's been, "On the jiffy stand" for many, many years.
Primary levels though...

ocezam (09-19-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 04:09 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
If the dipstick is hinged, it's for the jiffy stand. If it's solid, it's for upright.
That's not correct, but I don't want to fight about it so you're right.

ocezam (09-19-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 05:28 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Pretty sure for the trans it's been, "On the jiffy stand" for many, many years.
Primary levels though...
Well there is one sure way to find out, one of you need to drain your transmission and then add 28 oz. of fluid back in ( the amount stated in the service manual) and check to see if it reads full on the the dip stick when the bike is on the side stand. If not, stand it up straight and check it. If it reads full on the dip stick then we know straight up is correct. If it is suppose to be up straight and you're filling it on the side stand then it's being over filled and could easily migrate into the primary through the main shaft.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?