Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:20 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by borrec
Funny they are waiting on a top cover gasket. As stated earlier no change to that part number or design. So why would a new gasket of the same design have any effect?
Unclear here. You mention "top cover gasket". Are you talking about the gasket for the transmission cover?
If that is indeed what you are referring to then that part may be a crucial fix in the migration issue. I mention this because several people on this forum have played with enlarging or elongating one of the vent holes in the original gasket with some success. If the MOCO was aware of this they might have ordered new gaskets to replace the OEM gaskets.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
enlarging or elongating one of the vent holes

Such an easy fix..

Old 09-14-2017, 09:21 PM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Unclear here. You mention "top cover gasket". Are you talking about the gasket for the transmission cover?
If that is indeed what you are referring to then that part may be a crucial fix in the migration issue. I mention this because several people on this forum have played with enlarging or elongating one of the vent holes in the original gasket with some success. If the MOCO was aware of this they might have ordered new gaskets to replace the OEM gaskets.
Yes that gasket. It will be interesting if the part is the same one now. Both 2017 & 2018 are #25700453. If they do now have a new part number then what changed?

Old 09-14-2017, 09:43 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by borrec
Yes that gasket. It will be interesting if the part is the same one now. Both 2017 & 2018 are #25700453. If they do now have a new part number then what changed?
Well that is a good question. I for one would sure like to have a peek at the new gasket to compare it to a 2017 OEM top cover gasket. I guess we could just pick up the phone and call the MOCO and ask them for all their insider information regarding the migration. Their response might just be "what migration... we don't have no stinkin migration".

Old 09-14-2017, 10:01 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Well that is a good question. I for one would sure like to have a peek at the new gasket to compare it to a 2017 OEM top cover gasket. I guess we could just pick up the phone and call the MOCO and ask them for all their insider information regarding the migration. Their response might just be "what migration... we don't have no stinkin migration".
Where I'm at in Central Illinois, the denials are mostly coming from my dealers service dep't. Stopped in one day awhile back and asked if they were familiar with this yet and all I got were raised eyebrows. Few weeks later, after servicing and monitoring the bike myself I dropped it off for them to check out. All I got was NPF - continue to monitor. I'll also say that mine seems to have slowed considerably. Don't know wtf to make of it at this point, and don't get too worked up. Got a year on the warranty yet and have no intention of losing it though.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:26 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Just got back from the dealer. My SGS had transferred 1/2 ltr ( 16.9 fl oz US ) in 2000 miles, that's whilst on a trip and with topping up to keep it at the full mark.
The dealer has said that he has never had this before and will contact technical for advice.
As soon as I am contacted I will post any information I have.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:32 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Where I'm at in Central Illinois, the denials are mostly coming from my dealers service dep't. Stopped in one day awhile back and asked if they were familiar with this yet and all I got were raised eyebrows. Few weeks later, after servicing and monitoring the bike myself I dropped it off for them to check out. All I got was NPF - continue to monitor. I'll also say that mine seems to have slowed considerably. Don't know wtf to make of it at this point, and don't get too worked up. Got a year on the warranty yet and have no intention of losing it though.
When the warranty is out, what will happen then? Thats the $64000 question. What will the MOCO do then. Im thinking, they will do nothing and we will be screwed. New gasket for the trans cover? Maybe the vent hole is impeded? I doubt that is the problem here............

Old 09-15-2017, 08:16 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
Well fellas count the 16 in on this I'm getting some on mine. Not a lot just about 3oz in five thousand miles.
That's certainly not much... you sure it's migrating and not just leaking? 3 oz. in 5,000 miles would be a pretty dang small leak.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:52 AM
smkauffman
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't know to look for this issue until fairly recently. I picked the bike up new in June and had the dealer do the initial 1,000 mile service about 2 weeks later. I did the 5,000 mile service in August and checked the trans fluid, maybe a little low hard to tell on that stupid dipstick but there was definitely fluid on the stick. Checking the trans a couple times in between services it seemed to be dropping a little bit at a time but again a little hard to tell exactly where the level was.

I just did the 10,000 mile Wednesday. Trans fluid was definitely a little low, maybe just touching the bottom of the stick if at all. I measured what drained out of the primary as best I could and then added trans fluid to bring it back to full, eyeballing that amount.

End result it looks like about 4-5 ounces transferred in around 9,000 miles.

I ride what I would guess to be about average as far as aggressive...I don't baby the thing but don't live in the top RPM range either. I probably hit 5,000 on the tach a couple times per week getting on the highway or passing and the rest of the time usually top out in the low 4,000 range for normal acceleration.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:07 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
That's certainly not much... you sure it's migrating and not just leaking? 3 oz. in 5,000 miles would be a pretty dang small leak.
WE hope leaking running some dye now to find out. I'm running formula plus in both so the dye should help.I'm not to worried we will find the problem.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?