Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:43 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Dealer Repair Update:

All test and checks that the MOCO wants were done and supposed to have passed, new seal and spacer installed. Dealer now needs to WAIT for topcover gasket as they were out of stock..............go figure......waited 3 weeks for the spacer, ya think they would have had the top cover gasket ordered as well.......

Still doubt it will solve anything........

Will report again when we get her back and get to test it out.....

Eagle Out

Old 09-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Hope you don't have to wait another 3 weeks..........

Old 09-14-2017, 10:07 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
Dealer Repair Update:

All test and checks that the MOCO wants were done and supposed to have passed, new seal and spacer installed. Dealer now needs to WAIT for topcover gasket as they were out of stock..............go figure......waited 3 weeks for the spacer, ya think they would have had the top cover gasket ordered as well.......
Eagle Out
The seal you talk about is for the crank shaft, right?
I am guessing that they can access that by pulling the primary cover off.
Surely they don't have to pull the engine and split the cases to replace the seal.

The following users liked this post:
Uboofer (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 10:08 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
The seal you talk about is for the crank shaft, right?
I am guessing that they can access that by pulling the primary cover off.
Surely they don't have to pull the engine and split the cases to replace the seal.
From what I understand, pull the primary cover and the compensator; accessible that way.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:13 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,129 Likes on 3,647 Posts

Dealer Repair Update:

Eagle Out

Holey sh*T! That is one dumba*s service dept or parts dept.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
From what I understand, pull the primary cover and the compensator; accessible that way.
Well that is a relatively easy fix, a couple of hours labor to replace parts. If it comes to a recall to fix all these engines can you imagine if they had to pull the engines and split the cases to replace the seal?? That would be a nightmare for sure and might take a year or two to complete. Like many here I do not hold out much hope that this is indeed the real "fix".
I would love to be a fly on the wall up in wherever they have their engineering dept. Menominee Falls maybe?

Old 09-14-2017, 10:48 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
Well that is a relatively easy fix, a couple of hours labor to replace parts. If it comes to a recall to fix all these engines can you imagine if they had to pull the engines and split the cases to replace the seal?? That would be a nightmare for sure and might take a year or two to complete. Like many here I do not hold out much hope that this is indeed the real "fix".
I would love to be a fly on the wall up in wherever they have their engineering dept. Menominee Falls maybe?
You and me both! I'm a mechanical engineer, so I would kill or die to be in that "room".

Old 09-14-2017, 10:57 AM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Dealer Repair Update:

Eagle Out
Funny they are waiting on a top cover gasket. As stated earlier no change to that part number or design. So why would a new gasket of the same design have any effect?

Old 09-14-2017, 11:32 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
I had mentioned this a few months ago, but couldn't someone that has access to a spare sacrificial primary cover, (I don't have funds for that), just drill and tap a 3/8" NPT thread into the top of the case, throw a brass barbed fitting in it with some hose on it, (so the primary oil doesn't slop out), and see what difference that makes?. This would break the vacuum between the primary and the xmission. Not sure if it would be roadtest worthy or just something to run on a dyno, but it would be a quick cheap test if it quits sucking oil out of the tranny any how.
It would more economical to put it in the derby cover. Those get replaced with after market items quite regularly.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:46 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Well fellas count the 16 in on this I'm getting some on mine. Not a lot just about 3oz in five thousand miles.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?