Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 09:38 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
The MOCO's current position with the migration issue is to replace seals and spacers if the customer wants it. "If the customer wants it" would seem to indicate that they are not sure if this is the root cause or not. At this point I think they are just trying to placate people who are complaining about the issue. They know it is happening but don't really, really know what is causing it.

This migration problem was recognized about 5 months ago. If they think the seal might be leaking and pulling a vacuum in the primary which in turn is sucking transmission fluid in via the clutch push rod how does that explain how the fluid in the transmission somehow raises up high enough to travel down the push rod into the primary. Has anyone ever drilled a derby cover and actually attached a vacuum gauge to see if there is a negative pressure in there when the engine is operating? I remember it being discussed by a number of readers who had access to those tools but I don't remember anyone actually doing it and reporting what they found.
Anybody?
What would cause a vacuum on the primary? The only moving parts are rotational... (just thinking out loud here). The only pressure in/out of the primary COULD be thru movement/actuation of the clutch, but how does that translate to vacuum of the primary case?

Last edited by QNman; 09-11-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:39 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
What would cause a vacuum on the primary? The only moving parts are rotational... (just thinking out loud here). The only pressure in/out of the primary COULD be thru movement/actuation of the clutch, but how does that translate to pressurization of the primary case?
Its not pressure but a vacuum if that is what is happening

Old 09-11-2017, 10:05 AM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by bob2002
Its not pressure but a vacuum if that is what is happening
Sorry, that's what I meant. I corrected it.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:06 AM
pablo55
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, they already reviewed my RK 2017 at local Harley, they told me it was "okay" (??). Can I get my address in the USA to make my claim? Thank you very much.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:07 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Sorry, that's what I meant. I corrected it.
I know

Old 09-11-2017, 10:12 AM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by bob2002
I know

Old 09-11-2017, 12:35 PM
FredCa
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts

Not sure what to think?

When I did my 5K service, I saw evidence of fluid transfer. When I took off the derby cover, the fluid was up to the level of the opening. A little bit ran out and dripped on the floor. This didn't surprise me as I had needed to add some fluid to the transmission during the period between the 1k and 5k services.

My wife and I just got back from a 4 day weekend of loaded touring in the mountains and some pretty hard riding of more then 1,500 miles. I dreaded checking the transmission when we got back. Much to my surprise when I did check it, it was still full. I see no indication of any transfer. If fluids are still being transferred, the rate of transfer has at least slowed down.

I think this is good news. Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Old 09-11-2017, 12:46 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

Originally Posted by FredCa
Not sure what to think?

When I did my 5K service, I saw evidence of fluid transfer. When I took off the derby cover, the fluid was up to the level of the opening. A little bit ran out and dripped on the floor. This didn't surprise me as I had needed to add some fluid to the transmission during the period between the 1k and 5k services.

My wife and I just got back from a 4 day weekend of loaded touring in the mountains and some pretty hard riding of more then 1,500 miles. I dreaded checking the transmission when we got back. Much to my surprise when I did check it, it was still full. I see no indication of any transfer. If fluids are still being transferred, the rate of transfer has at least slowed down.

I think this is good news. Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?
yeah, darndest thing ain't it..I'm not the only one reporting the condition self stabilizing..no clue wtf is going on but not complaining..trying to get to the point where I balance complacency and confidence it's perhaps no longer an issue..but haven't gotten to the point where I can allow myself to ignore checking it periodically

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (09-12-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

MJ, at times I wish you'd never made that first post. Up to that point we were all happy happy happy...

See what you've done?

The following 2 users liked this post by Steel Wheels:
mjwebb (09-11-2017), stixvrad (09-12-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 04:28 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

What would cause a vacuum on the primary? The only moving parts are rotational... (just thinking out loud here). The only pressure in/out of the primary COULD be thru movement/actuation of the clutch, but how does that translate to vacuum of the primary case?
End of first paragraph..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post16615896

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?