Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:46 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Hydraulic or cable does not matter. The leak path is what it is. Actuation is not a issue. It's just more of Harleys engineering department designing junk and lying about testing and the marketing dept running around and yelling lies.

Then they suck Obummer and his EPA off. Yeah we make junk and we love your don't mess with your bike or we don't have to fix it BS. We build junk,,, thanks for the help Obummer,,, as HD swallows.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:22 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Hydraulic or cable does not matter. The leak path is what it is. Actuation is not a issue.
I tend to agree with that. At the same time I don't give a $hit what the problem is, only that it gets resolved.

Originally Posted by psyshack
Then they suck Obummer and his EPA off. Yeah we make junk and we love your don't mess with your bike or we don't have to fix it BS. We build junk,,, thanks for the help Obummer,,, as HD swallows.
Yeah, OK. I'm pretty sure "Obummer" is out of office for a year now. I'm not sure that the new guy would do anything in this case differently.

Jeez, this is anything but a Dem/Repub issue....

Old 09-09-2017, 01:04 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
I tend to agree with that. At the same time I don't give a $hit what the problem is, only that it gets resolved.

Yeah, OK. I'm pretty sure "Obummer" is out of office for a year now. I'm not sure that the new guy would do anything in this case differently.

Jeez, this is anything but a Dem/Repub issue....
Trump admin forgave the $3 mil adder for public improvement. And we are hearing now HD just wrote a check on the $10 mil base fine. Should show up in there SEC Report if it's a fact. And the consent degree did come out of the idiot Obummer/EPA as he was leaving office.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:27 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

If you guys want to keep this thread unlocked you should keep the politics out of it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Wide Open Cycles:
jamala00 (09-09-2017), ocezam (09-09-2017), wachuko (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 12:33 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Is it possible that Harley will not fix this issue on existing bikes and redesign the problem away in the new bikes going forward? Can they say, transferring oil, not possible.....

Old 09-09-2017, 01:11 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Is it possible that Harley will not fix this issue on existing bikes and redesign the problem away in the new bikes going forward? Can they say, transferring oil, not possible.....
They probably could.

There are bikes out there that aren't transferring any fluid so the MoCo could probably point at those as so called "proof" that it isn't happening.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:43 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
They probably could.

There are bikes out there that aren't transferring any fluid so the MoCo could probably point at those as so called "proof" that it isn't happening.
Scary.......

Old 09-10-2017, 03:58 AM
FM500
Road Master
Received 3,799 Likes on 678 Posts

After the oil-transfer on my FLHR (build 04/2017) began at 3,000 mls, my dealer now emptied the oils and measured the difference using an detailed instruction given by HD. Approx. 3 ounces were transferred during the last 1.000 miles.
A phonecall to the HD support revealed again that the problem is known at HD, but there is no secure solution yet. They agreed to replace the crankshaft seal and the spacer if the customer wants it. The dealer and I decides to wait until there is a secure solution or up to the end of October 2017 to find another solution.
If no better or more secure solution has been found before, they will replace the crankshaft seal and the spacer first.

So I continue riding, checking the Oils and wait.....

Last edited by FM500; 09-10-2017 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ocezam (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

The MOCO's current position with the migration issue is to replace seals and spacers if the customer wants it. "If the customer wants it" would seem to indicate that they are not sure if this is the root cause or not. At this point I think they are just trying to placate people who are complaining about the issue. They know it is happening but don't really, really know what is causing it.

This migration problem was recognized about 5 months ago. If they think the seal might be leaking and pulling a vacuum in the primary which in turn is sucking transmission fluid in via the clutch push rod how does that explain how the fluid in the transmission somehow raises up high enough to travel down the push rod into the primary. Has anyone ever drilled a derby cover and actually attached a vacuum gauge to see if there is a negative pressure in there when the engine is operating? I remember it being discussed by a number of readers who had access to those tools but I don't remember anyone actually doing it and reporting what they found.
Anybody?

Last edited by Retrop; 09-10-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:30 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
Good question. But the problem is real. I'm not too concerned about the cause, only that it gets fixed.
I have absolutely NO doubt the problem is real. The point to my question is: if the problem is occurring due to the hydraulic clutch (deemed to be a possibility), then where are the differences? Could a cause be found with the parts that differ from 2016 to 2017? At least it's something that should probably be ruled in or out.

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?