Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:30 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

`
Originally Posted by SavageChopper
I posted a heads up on a Harley Facebook group. Wow, you'd think I kicked their dog or something. All I said was to keep an eye on the fluid levels and people assumed I was a troll and just looking to cause issues. I finally deleted by FB post. No good deed goes unpunished.
Well maybe your post might have reached a few people. Harley can only continue to live on the "fanboy" money for so long. HD knows that. Heck, the M8 is an answer to this. Strong, torquey, smooth. Handles better. $hit the 2018 Softails are an even bigger nod to fixing the product line for the future. These changes are all about keeping long term riders within "the fold".

Huge mistake if they don't fix this as far as I'm concerned...

Last edited by ocezam; 09-08-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:34 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by wachuko
I got the Triumph Thruxton R and that is one bike that I had been waiting for a long time to own... but I also want to keep a Harley next to the Thruxton... and I love the looks and feel of the new Harley... but not like this. I want that problem fixed.
Thruxton R - Seriously nice bike! My son owns one. It takes me a while, a half hour at least 55 years old, to deal with the ergonomics, but damn that's a FUN bike once I'm connected to it.

Last edited by ocezam; 09-08-2017 at 09:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wachuko (09-09-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by QNman
How? What is different between M8 and my 2016, for example, that causes this problem to be more prominent?
Good question. But the problem is real. I'm not too concerned about the cause, only that it gets fixed.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:37 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by strat10
Have any of you that are having this issue called the local news? Usually they have a consumer advocate piece that they play to help people with issues. Here in LA there is a guy named Randy Mac. This would get the word out.
Maybe. A lot of politics involved with this. But I will file it away for future (near future) use.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:39 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
I can't fault anyone for buying a Honda Goldwing.

Three years ago this December, my then 88 year old FIL decided after two knee replacements and a heart attack that he was going to stop riding. He offered me his 2006 Goldwing. I was a little skeptical on whether I would like the bike or not, so I took an extended test ride down to Florida on an overnight visit to some cousins.

I can't say enough good about the power and handling of this bike. In almost twelve hundred miles it never missed a beat. The creature comforts were exceptional as well. The GPS, stereo and CB worked perfectly. The heated seats and grips, plus the adjustable windshield made the ride in the chilly morning air oh so pleasant. The gas mileage wasn't bad; averaging in the high 30's.

I was so impressed by this machine I decided I wanted my whole family to be able to share in the experience.....so I bought a Subaru Outback.
Hilarious!

Man I do like it when I can actually laugh about this issue. But I'd rather drive Subaru than anything I have to watch the fluids on every week.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:42 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Has anyone checked into converting to a cable? Initially I figured going hydraulic had advantages, but I'm beginning to wonder. Cables last much longer than they used to it seems, and usually they'll give you some warning before failing. And obviously they're not subject to creating the migration issue we're having. Just a suggestion.
Yeah, I'll do it. What's the cost? You sure it fixes the problem? I love this F'n bike. Tell me what to do to fix it, Harley won't....

Old 09-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ron1026
The new softails come with a cable clutch and it feels so much better than the hyd ones that came on my 2017 sg. Be interesting to see if the softails have a migration problem.
I agree,, the 18 Softail models have a nice clutch feel. Not one color I like tho...

Old 09-08-2017, 10:03 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamma742
Not one color I like tho...
Check out the Red Iron Denim on the Heritage 114. Up close it'll change your opinion. Problem is the Denim paint - with 15 to 20K being put on every year I get sloppy on keeping bugs off, and that Denim won't put up with that. Japanese beetles were unbelievable this year. I'm not referring to the ladybugs either.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
Yeah, I'll do it. What's the cost? You sure it fixes the problem? I love this F'n bike. Tell me what to do to fix it, Harley won't....
Haven't looked into it myself yet. My loss is still happening and I'm a conservative rider. 1100 mi. since last changed and the oil is at the bottom of the X on the stick.

Got a Toys for Tots run tomorrow and I intend to keep the revs up higher, then check again after I get home.

Anyway, to figure costs I'd go to an online fiche and compare to a cable model. Obviously you'll need a lever, cable and end cover for the trans, the internals (ramp, *****, actuator lever); beyond that I'm not sure about the clutch or pushrod. If numbers match the hydraulic jobs your good there...

Old 09-08-2017, 11:23 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
My loss is still happening and I'm a conservative rider. 1100 mi. since last changed and the oil is at the bottom of the X on the stick.
Anyway, to figure costs I'd go to an online fiche and compare to a cable model. Obviously you'll need a lever, cable and end cover for the trans, the internals (ramp, *****, actuator lever); beyond that I'm not sure about the clutch or pushrod. If numbers match the hydraulic jobs your good there...
Cool. Let us know if it works for you...

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?