Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:46 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
In case you have not paid attention.......those of us that have the issue have been to the dealer, called the MOCO and got reference numbers, filed complaints with the authorities........and are trying to get it resolved thru our warranties.
Well, to be perfectly honest, and I think I have said this. I HAVE NOT been to my dealer. I will, and very soon. I've known of this problem with my bike but have held off from starting the warranty procedure for two reasons:

1. I am not good at being diplomatic with any situation where I start to get the run around/corporate talk. Yeah at 55 I should be better at this, but no. I hoped the more time I gave the factory, the sooner a "fix" would develop. Then I wouldn't have to worry about my temper when confronted with blank stares or quotes of "that is impossible/can't happen", or "we've never heard of that before" etc.

2. Also I was determined to go to Sturgis this year come hell or high water. That accomplished, I'll enjoy a few more weeks of good riding weather before committing myself to the Corporate Merry-Go-Round that is the Harley Davidson Factory Warranty.

I sincerely doubt it will be fixed, although hope springs eternal. At that point we will see what next spring brings. Maybe I should start getting myself Psyched to be on another brand the last 20 years of my riding career.

Last edited by ocezam; 09-08-2017 at 09:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (09-10-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:51 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by stixvrad
THATS the fix ! Convert the touring bikes back to a cable clutch !!
Hell yes! Most people complain about the clutch anyway. Personally I could take it or leave it. But if it fixed this BS I'd be in.

Pretty expensive fix though, I doubt if HD would own up to it.

Last edited by ocezam; 09-09-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:55 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Once the common thread is found between them all the problem will get solved, but we should not have to wait and get the run around as HD is clearly doing!
Yes, and once the problem is found it will be solely dependent on the accounting and legal departments at HD to decide if fixing it under warranty is "fiscally responsible".

Finding the problem/solution is less than half of the problem. Expecting a corporate giant to do the "right thing" is even harder to accomplish sometimes.

Last edited by ocezam; 09-08-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:58 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by Steve Helton
Good luck my friends i traded my headache off today back to a Goldwing.
WOW. Last thing I wanna do. May still have to...

Pisses me off that HD's biggist marketing claim is the "lifestyle". Really? What kind of "lifestyle" is it that I can't expect my 21st century machine to live up to the performance/maintenance standards of the 1970's?

Old 09-08-2017, 07:59 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by not a sock
If it is built by humans and maintained by them, it can give trouble......
Blows my mind sometimes when people are so easy to give up reasonable expectations.

Enjoy the "lifestyle".

Old 09-08-2017, 08:01 PM
ron1026
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

The new softails come with a cable clutch and it feels so much better than the hyd ones that came on my 2017 sg. Be interesting to see if the softails have a migration problem.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:08 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,272 Likes on 4,441 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Someplace around here there are pictures of the gasket side of the right tranny cover and the tranny trap door. You need to picture the 2 pieces together.. The outer cover has a machined surface that is at the same level as the gasket surface that covers the mainshaft bearing. Part of the issue is that the clearance between the 2 surfaces is only the thickness of the cover gasket. That area can fill with oil from oil being picked up by 1st gear and squirting out say both directions where they mesh.. This condition can push oil through the mainshaft bearing to the clutch pushrod side of the bearing. The gasket surface of the plate holds some of the oil around the clutch pushrod entrance n the mainshaft. This oil by itself probably won't migrate much. Maybe a few drops over period of 5-10 thousand miles. There isn't any seal between the clutch pushrod and the manshaft hole. As someone said. Drop the pressure in the primary through a leaky crankshaft and the mainshaft hole pulls oil through the mainshaft like a soda straw into the primary.

This issue will not occur on a mechanical clutch setup as the right tranny cover houses the release mechanism and there is plenty of clearance for any oil that migrates through the bearing to exit from around the clutch pushrod.
Thanks.... I realized as I read this that I have never worked on, or had apart, a Harley hydraulic clutch..... Don't think I've ever ridden a Harley with a hydraulic clutch....Never saw the need for a hydraulic clutch as I really never had an issue with my cable clutches over the years...

I now understand how the difference could be a part of this migration issue...

Old 09-08-2017, 08:10 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by smitty901
I am betting no HD rep said you have to live with it. My bike has been in and in 1400 miles has not transferred another drop.
So what is your point? Your bike doesn't transfer oil, therefore he never heard from an HD rep? Not sure anyone could follow that train of "logic".

Last edited by ocezam; 09-08-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:26 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
While some think that HD does not have a handle on this, I think they do.. I also think that they are trying to get a handle on this based on warranty claims and not the internet. Too many raving lunatics here.
Personally I bet they (HD) DO HAVE a handle on this. I'm sure they know exactly what the problem is. My concern is they will not own up to it and fix the affected bikes.

Fixes will be made in future production. Those with the problem now will be out of luck, and HD will lose a few thousand customers because of it. With the accuracy and effectiveness of the HD marketing department they may well lose almost nothing overall. There will still be more people to belly up to the bar and pay their money to have the "lifestyle" that HD promises. Heck, HD got away with it with several issues of the early Twin Cams. Didn't hurt the bottom line much at all.

But 20 years ago most HD dealers were marking up the MSRP by a ton. Harleys sold no matter what. But back then the motorcycle industry was in a huge upswing across the board. Now customer traffic in every manufacturers showroom is dwindling. It's like the motorcycle slump of the 80's. And Harley's core base just keeps gets older.

I think they should fix the bikes with the problem. I'm not sure they will see the wisdom in that.

Last edited by ocezam; 09-08-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by bob2002
I wish Steve Cole would spill his guts and say what he has found out about a fix.
Yeah, me too. I don't give a $hit is it's a partial fix. I'd love to keep this bike and remain loyal to HD. But damned if I'll live with this forever....

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?