Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:07 PM
free...
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a clear correlation between the trans migration and pressure cause it accentuates at high revs. The matter concerns the points of comunication between cameras and the pressure, and the relationship between these two variables, thought.

Last edited by free...; 09-08-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Steve Helton
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
I will bet that you will be back posting anti M8 comments. I also don't believe a HD rep said "You will have to live with it".
That is what he told my cousin i have no reason to lie i don't own one anymore beleive what you want.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:45 PM
LeoGast
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Helton
That is what he told my cousin i have no reason to lie i don't own one anymore beleive what you want.
So why are you trolling Harley owners? Don't you have anything better to do? Or are you a paid troll?

Old 09-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Steve Helton
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoGast
So why are you trolling Harley owners? Don't you have anything better to do? Or are you a paid troll?
I'm not trolling any body jack just hate for someone to act like i'm telling a lie over and out and i mean this i hope they fix all the bikes but it's not going to happen.

Last edited by Steve Helton; 09-08-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:48 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I'm having a horrible time with that tear shaped fluid pan thing right above the engine. I mean I cannot sleep over it.
I paid soooo much money for this thing and I make it a habit that my dollars are priceless and worth more than most peoples dollars.
I simply deserve better than most people.

My trans is transferring only about 16 ounces every 6 thousand miles but it's really no problem.
I mean 6000 miles is a lot and nothing to loose sleep over; however, its the big thingy on top of the engine... the bike will not go until I put 6 GALLONS of fluid stuff into it EVERY 300 miles!!!! WTF Harley!

I just want to cry all the time... someone called me a snowflake but I don't know what that means. Put ice in the thing? I dunno... screw it. I'm buying a Honda. I know they are better.
I only had to have the frame welded twice on my last one after 5000 miles. Way better than every 300. Screw you Harley.

The following users liked this post:
empowered01 (09-09-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Has anyone checked into converting to a cable? Initially I figured going hydraulic had advantages, but I'm beginning to wonder. Cables last much longer than they used to it seems, and usually they'll give you some warning before failing. And obviously they're not subject to creating the migration issue we're having.

Just a suggestion.

ocezam (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 04:40 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,380 Likes on 4,785 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Has anyone checked into converting to a cable?
now by 'converting' if you mean 'trading' then there's been some talk about that

Old 09-08-2017, 06:27 PM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I wonder if drilling a vent hole on the inner primary and using one of those small brass filtered vents off a car differential would help? Just a thought as a test if it is a vacuum thing.

ocezam (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:03 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoGast
Dude!! WTF?? He had an RGC and just got rid of it because of this issue... a troll?? Really??

Geez

Originally Posted by hattitude
The trans main shaft is hollow and used for two things....

One, the clutch pushrod travels between the clutch cable/hydraulic actuator under the trans side cover to the the clutch in the primary, via this hollow shaft.

Two, the shaft is not sealed. It has a secondary job of allowing the pressure to equalize between the trans and primary, and vent out the trans vent, if necessary.

The only way you can lose 8oz of trans oil and have it show up in the primary, is via this shaft...... that much is agreed on. Now why/how it is doing this is an ongoing discussion...

The scary part of this issue is it is unknown how many bikes are affected. It is NOT an issue on all bikes. The transfer rate appears to be dependent on how hard you run the engine, higher rpms have been shown to increase transfer. If you don't look for it, most people won't know they have it...

For example; you ride easy between service visits. You may only have 2-3oz of transfer. The service tech dumps old fluids, without ever checking levels first... and then fills both to proper levels. Even if they did notice the trans a couple ounces low, it would be no cause for concern and they certainly wouldn't look to see if it's in the trans....

Several dyno tuners have tuned bikes, and seen 10oz transferred during the tuning process. One posted that he tuned an '18 CVO Limited, and it transferred 10oz during the tune... so it seems it hasn't been fixed for the '18 models..
So far, there is no fix...

Old 09-08-2017, 07:34 PM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Here is something i just noticed while dumping both fluids so I can add dye to the tranny before I take it to the dealer in a couple of weeks:

On my old bike, my wife's bike, and my buddy's bike, if I removed the primary plug without loosening the derby cover, the fluid would "glug going glug" out. On this bike, it came out in a steady stream like it was getting a vent from somewhere. Hmmmm.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?