Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Steve Helton
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Outkast6991
didnt you have a fuel moto build? Why the change?
The fuel Moto build was great no problems out of that top notch stuff.Motor ran great the trans.oil migration is the reason i traded and they are not going to do anything how i know my cousin talked with a harley rep.today and he told him there would be no recalls or fix you would have to live with it that did it for me warranty and worth nothing. I know i voided my warranty but all the people that hasn't is no better off.I rode a Goldwing for 12 years never was in the shop i liked the harley but i'm not checking and draining oil and pay that much for a bike i lost my backside but learned the hard way.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Helton:
ocezam (09-08-2017), stixvrad (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Steve Helton
Tourer

Originally Posted by not a sock
If it is built by humans and maintained by them, it can give trouble......
You're right but they are going to leave it as is a bad decision i think like the poor guy that gave 46k and it migrated 10oz on the dyno.

The following users liked this post:
ocezam (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Steve Helton
Tourer

I have said all i'm saying just saying what i did about the problem everyone else can make up there own mind.Will not answer any more questions on here.Pm if you have a question i've caused enough trouble.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Ert
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd like to know how far they have to open the transmission for the fix. Do they have to take out the whole transmission or engine or do they just need to open a cover for it?

Old 09-07-2017, 09:21 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Adios steve......enjoy the goldwing. You'll always catch a glimpse of a Harley out of the corner of your eye......

Old 09-07-2017, 11:16 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Wings have their place, but I've been doing some part time work at a indy shop and these things are a pain to work on. Just getting the saddle off is a nuisance, and the air filter is buried. Also see a lot of fork seals and coolant leaks. The one definite plus is servicing the rear tire; raise it, unbolt 5 lugs and you're good to go.

Not slamming Mr. Helton, just saying that after working on these things all day my King is a breath of fresh air! Would never consider trading for another brand.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steel Wheels:
ShitHouseRat (09-22-2017), Steve Helton (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 11:19 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Helton
The fuel Moto build was great no problems out of that top notch stuff.Motor ran great the trans.oil migration is the reason i traded and they are not going to do anything how i know my cousin talked with a harley rep.today and he told him there would be no recalls or fix you would have to live with it that did it for me warranty and worth nothing. I know i voided my warranty but all the people that hasn't is no better off.I rode a Goldwing for 12 years never was in the shop i liked the harley but i'm not checking and draining oil and pay that much for a bike i lost my backside but learned the hard way.
Deja vu,, Just like the 1999/2000 twin cam rear cam bearing.. Enjoy your Leadwing.

The following users liked this post:
Steve Helton (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 06:43 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
ALL 2017 M8's have hydraulic clutches, All Touring 2018 have hydraulic clutches. Not everyone is having transfer issues and some seem to have gotten better with time if you believe all the post here and other places. Once the common thread is found between them all the problem will get solved, but we should not have to wait and get the run around as HD is clearly doing!
Steve, quick question-. Does either of your 2 bikes have the 2 vacuum hoses coming from the cylinder heads rerouted to atmosphere, instead of pointed into the throttle body opening as the factory set up? I am curious if the combination of poor seal, clutch push rod sealing is compounded by the engine vacuum at the breather. Can you temporarily reroute the 2 lines to atmosphere and try on the dyno at high RPM to see if there is still migration? Thanks

Old 09-08-2017, 07:24 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,384 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Helton
I am betting no HD rep said you have to live with it. My bike has been in and in 1400 miles has not transferred another drop.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:59 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Wings have their place, but I've been doing some part time work at a indy shop and these things are a pain to work on. Just getting the saddle off is a nuisance, and the air filter is buried. Also see a lot of fork seals and coolant leaks. The one definite plus is servicing the rear tire; raise it, unbolt 5 lugs and you're good to go.

Not slamming Mr. Helton, just saying that after working on these things all day my King is a breath of fresh air! Would never consider trading for another brand.
Having owned seven Wings over the years, I never had a coolant leak,fork seal blow either, the air filter is a pain but after my first 1800 I learned not to even think about changing it until 50,000 miles, you will never see oil running out of the air filter on a Wing...yeah there are four seat bolts no big deal.

The following 2 users liked this post by bob2002:
ocezam (09-08-2017), Steve Helton (09-08-2017)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?