Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 12:50 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Helton
I'm sure if you let it run dry there would be some failures there is a problem for sure i have it my self reason i check is that harley hasn't done anything and maybe we need to let them run dry but may lock up and get someone killed.Just wish they would fix it.
Wouldn't at least SOME or even a FEW of the over 100,000 2017 Touring bikes with M8 engines have had their transmissions run dry by now if fluid migration was a serious mechanical issue? There must be many millions of miles on M8 transmissions by now. Why are there no reports of failing transmissions? I'm extremely confident that the 99% of all those new 2017 M8 bikes haven't had their transmissions checked by their owners yet.

There's not a single thread on HDF reporting a failed M8 transmission. How is that possible if migration is a serious concern?

Old 09-03-2017, 04:08 PM
Steve Helton
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Wouldn't at least SOME or even a FEW of the over 100,000 2017 Touring bikes with M8 engines have had their transmissions run dry by now if fluid migration was a serious mechanical issue? There must be many millions of miles on M8 transmissions by now. Why are there no reports of failing transmissions? I'm extremely confident that the 99% of all those new 2017 M8 bikes haven't had their transmissions checked by their owners yet.

There's not a single thread on HDF reporting a failed M8 transmission. How is that possible if migration is a serious concern?
Along with the problems you've had if your's started the trans.fluid migration and knowing that it is not being addressed you would have to see yours melt down before you would say it has a problem and it could start at any time.

The following users liked this post:
ocezam (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Heatwave

Along with the problems you've had if your's started the trans.fluid migration and knowing that it is not being addressed you would have to see yours melt down before you would say it has a problem and it could start at any time.
I'm trying to understand the migration issue. How is the migration not a more significant mechanical issue? Is measurement methodology consistent across different users and bikes? Does the timing of the measurement matter? Does the temp of the transmission matter? Is it possible fluid transfers BACK to transmission from primary during operation on the road as pressures equalize? Given the # of reports of owners measuring a "dry" transmission dip stick, how is it possible to NOT have reports of failed transmissions. These are important question to fully understand the migration issue.

The sumping issues most definitely result in mechanical failures... 2 engine failures in the case of my 2017 CVO Limited. Hopefully my sumping issues are behind me but I'd like to better understand the fluid migration issue to avoid additional problems with my bike.

Last edited by Heatwave; 09-03-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Steve Helton
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm trying to understand the migration issue. How is the migration not a more significant mechanical issue? Is measurement methodology consistent across different users and bikes? Does the timing of the measurement matter? Does the temp of the transmission matter? Is it possible fluid transfers BACK to transmission from primary during operation on the road as pressures equalize? Given the # of reports of owners measuring a "dry" transmission dip stick, how is it possible to NOT have reports of failed transmissions. These are important question to fully understand the migration issue.

The sumping issues most definitely result in mechanical failures... 2 engine failures in the case of my 2017 CVO Limited. Hopefully my sumping issues are behind me but I'd like to better understand the fluid migration issue to avoid additional problems with my bike.
I don't understand it either seems when bikes are run at higher rpms makes it worse.Steve Cole has had several do it on the Dyno even a 2018 migrated 10 oz.Hope someone can fix it if not i may trade it off.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I don't understand it either seems when bikes are run at higher rpms makes it worse.Steve Cole has had several do it on the Dyno even a 2018 migrated 10 oz.Hope someone can fix it if not i may trade it off.
Not complicated. Higher RPMs=higher pressure.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:05 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Ozecam - I don't believe the moco is ignoring it for one moment. They're like CIA spooks, seeing much but speaking little. Look at how well HD keeps things under wraps until they're ready to go public; happens every year with the new bikes.

I'm convinced they're aware and are addressing the issue, but a fix has yet to be determined.
OK. You have much more faith in corporate benevolence than I do.

Keeping new colors, frame changes and other marketing crap a secret is their mainstay. They do it well. Being upfront with engineering problems doesn't make sense from an accounting standpoint. Ignore it now, fix it later, makes much more sense to the bottom line. However, were I HD, I'd seriously take a look at my dwindling market share, and my aging average customer and try really hard to make this problem go away.
They may or may not know the cure. If the "cure" is inexpensive, they most likely will post it as a recall. Should the cure prove to be more expensive, then most likely us early adopters are on our own.

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Mr. Cole may just beat 'em to the punch! Maybe even Jason Ward; he's been too quiet for awhile now.
Yeah, more than likely the "aftermarket" (Steve Cole et al) will provide the cure. Let's hope it is relatively inexpensive since the MoCo is turning a blind eye.

This problem isn't new. The problem does persist with the '18 models. NO ONE has reported a "cure". From new seals, spacers, to complete new transmissions the MoCo has offered several fixes. None have worked.

Peace out.....

Last edited by ocezam; 09-03-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:25 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

You will hear it WAY before it becomes catastrophic. The noise from a,dry transmission is awful, I've had them go dry on the dyno and the noise was ridiculous even woth ear protection and all the fans blowing. Steve discovered this problem on his bike because of the noise. He first accounted it to dealer tech not filling it during the setup, he filled it and ran it again. Shortly after that the noise came back. He discovered the trans dry then removed the primary cover. Point is, I doubt we'll hear of any locked up transmissions because of this. I can't imagine anyone continuing to ride once it starts to make the noise. It's very obvious at that point that something is not right

The following users liked this post:
Steve Helton (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 07:36 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
You will hear it WAY before it becomes catastrophic. The noise from a,dry transmission is awful, I've had them go dry on the dyno and the noise was ridiculous even woth ear protection and all the fans blowing. Steve discovered this problem on his bike because of the noise. He first accounted it to dealer tech not filling it during the setup, he filled it and ran it again. Shortly after that the noise came back. He discovered the trans dry then removed the primary cover. Point is, I doubt we'll hear of any locked up transmissions because of this. I can't imagine anyone continuing to ride once it starts to make the noise. It's very obvious at that point that something is not right
so do you know if damage was done then, or once noticing the noise and refilling you fortunately escape any long term ill affects of having it run dry? and wouldn't you have some advanced indications in the form of a change in shifting and finding neutral behavior with the primary becoming overfull? I've long ago stopped holding my breath and asking about root cause and resolution, just want to be informed and educated enough to manage the issue to avoid damage, thanks

Last edited by mjwebb; 09-04-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Heatwave

Agreed but the "hearing" point I was trying to make was on forums like this one. We have not "heard" about transmission failures on this forum that should be at least somewhat prevalent based on the 144 pages of this thread. To date there's not a single HDF thread describing a failed 2017 or 2018 Transmission. How is that possible?

Old 09-04-2017, 08:52 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

So what bike did you have the tranny go dry on the dyno.. All M8s?

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?