Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Steve Helton
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
In my case I definitely trust my dealership. They have been extremely good to me and stood by me with MoCo. Fought for the first and second replacement 114 engines due to sumping issues at no charge (now on my 3rd engine which appears to be good at this point). Supported me in getting a free 7yr ESP including wheel & tire paid for by HD for my troubles. They took very precise measurements in measuring all oil in the crankcase to the exact ounce. And let me take all the pictures I wanted of the excess oil from the crankcase. In fact they encouraged me to take the pics. They've checked the tranny and primary fluids twice on my '17 CVO Limited and found them spot on. I had a slight shudder in the front brakes. Both rotors were out of spec. Neither the factory warranty or ESP covers rotors or pads since they are considered a wear item. Instead of charging me for new rotors, they comped the cost of the parts and labor to replace the rotors at no charge to me

Sorry if you've had a rotten experience with your dealership's service department but I've taken my business to this dealer for a decade and definitely trust them. I have complete confidence that there is NO fluid transferring between my tranny and primary.

How is it that after 142 pages of posts on the subject of transmission fluid migration, millions of miles ridden, guys on this thread checking their tranny fluid regularly, that there hasn't been a single report of a failed transmission or failed primary? Trying to understand how this could be so prevalent yet there is no Service Bulletin and no reports of a mechanical failure or breakdown. Makes no sense to me that such a serious issue could result in no reports of mechanical failures in the 2017 touring bikes.

The guys on this thread are checking their trans fluid on a regular basis but my guess is that 99% of new 2017 touring bike owners have NEVER checked their trans fluid level. If this fluid migration was causing a serious mechanical failure there would be 142 pages of "why did my Transmission fail". Why is there no thread on tranny or primary failures from this fluid migration??
I'm sure if you let it run dry there would be some failures there is a problem for sure i have it my self reason i check is that harley hasn't done anything and maybe we need to let them run dry but may lock up and get someone killed.Just wish they would fix it.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:55 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

The fluid in the transmission probably equalizes with the fluid on the primary...... it's just enough to keep trans from failing....

The following users liked this post:
ocezam (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 09:27 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

The guys on this thread are checking their trans fluid on a regular basis but my guess is that 99% of new 2017 touring bike owners have NEVER checked their trans fluid level.
Yeah, without reading this thread, or a few others on other forums, why would they check? I've never had a Harley, or any other bike, lose transmission fluid. It was only because of this thread that I bothered to look a couple months ago. My dipstick was dry. Go figure...

Why is there no thread on tranny or primary failures from this fluid migration??
My guess is the "migration" or transfer only goes so far. Once the tranny is low enough to not register on the dipstick transfer mostly stops. There is still "enough" fluid to keep the transmission from total failure. Hence no catastrophic failures or accidents.

But running the transmission this low probably isn't good for longevity.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 09:31 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,273 Likes on 4,442 Posts

Trying to understand how this could be so prevalent yet there is no Service Bulletin and no reports of a mechanical failure or breakdown. Makes no sense to me that such a serious issue could result in no reports of mechanical failures in the 2017 touring bikes.

The guys on this thread are checking their trans fluid on a regular basis but my guess is that 99% of new 2017 touring bike owners have NEVER checked their trans fluid level. If this fluid migration was causing a serious mechanical failure there would be 142 pages of "why did my Transmission fail". Why is there no thread on tranny or primary failures from this fluid migration??
My opinion is that vast majority of riders, if they have the problem, have a ride profile that will transfer maybe a few oz of fluid in between service visits.... therefore, the transfer is never enough to cause damage...

Their dealership dumps the oils, and refills... with the vast majority of bikes, NOBODY is bothering to check for a transfer issue....

There could be two, or there could be ten thousand.... bikes out there with the transfer issue that are blissfully unaware they have a problem, and ride in a way that it doesn't transfer enough oil to cause trans damage....

We may never know, but I suspect the Moco may know the answer, but I doubt they will ever announce it...

They will make running production changes to avoid the problem in the future and try to quietly fix those that bitch about their issue.... it would be a huge financial liability to alert those unaware of the problem, and then have to fix more bikes.....

If the problem caused people's bikes to eat transmissions under warranty, I believe this whole issue would have been resolved awhile ago...

I may get an M8 eventually, but my plans for one in Spring '18 have been put on hold indefinitely......

Last edited by hattitude; 09-02-2017 at 09:34 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hattitude:
jamala00 (09-03-2017), mjwebb (09-02-2017), MotoJockey (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 09:37 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

yeah, I believe we've long ago past the point of widespread catastrophic failure possibilities, would have happened by now..just waiting to see how it unfolds

Old 09-02-2017, 11:09 PM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

I just noticed Tech Article TA0020. Is this related to the transmission oil transfer?

Attached Thumbnails who's been having to add transmission fluid?-img_7659.png  

Last edited by dDavid; 09-02-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:15 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,375 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by dDavid
I just noticed Tech Article TA0020. Is this related to the transmission oil transfer?
"Tech Article TA0020: Oil Tinted Orange or Pink"

aren't those Amsoil Koolaid flavors, er' colors?..sorry, couldn't help myself

Old 09-03-2017, 09:15 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
We may never know, but I suspect the Moco may know the answer, but I doubt they will ever announce it...

They will make running production changes to avoid the problem in the future and try to quietly fix those that bitch about their issue.... it would be a huge financial liability to alert those unaware of the problem, and then have to fix more bikes.....
I tend to agree.

Honestly this thread demonstrates how weak the internet really is in some cases. 143 pages. Nearly 1500 posts, and this issue is still easily ignored by the MoCo. Depressing.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Ozecam - I don't believe the moco is ignoring it for one moment. They're like CIA spooks, seeing much but speaking little. Look at how well HD keeps things under wraps until they're ready to go public; happens every year with the new bikes.

I'm convinced they're aware and are addressing the issue, but a fix has yet to be determined. Mr. Cole may just beat 'em to the punch! Maybe even Jason Ward; he's been too quiet for awhile now.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:37 PM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels

I'm convinced they're aware and are addressing the issue, but a fix has yet to be determined.
Hope springs eternal.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?