Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:17 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle

Still waiting on spacer to arrive here...........

Eagle Out
Just the spacer? I am reading that the MOCO is sending out a seal with the old part number and a spacer with a new part number in an attempt to fix the transfer of fluids problem. The new spacer apparently has a bevel on one side now. Maybe the MOCO engineers feel like the old spacer was cutting through the seal which then allowed a vacuum to be pulled inside the primary which in turn sucked oil from the primary.
There have been numerous people who have had this repair done and they are reporting that it has not fixed their problem. Lots of knowledgeable people out there still think the problem is with the transmission, not the primary. Probably a venting or drainage issue. I am beginning to think the MOCO does not have as many engineers working on this as I had hoped in the beginning. This migrating fluid issue has been out there since May of this year. Maybe all their engineering resources have been working on the faulty oil pumps and the sumping issues which are apparent in the Stage III and Stage IV engines. Maybe their engineering staff has been overwhelmed. Maybe they did not think many bikes were having migration issues. That is a lot of "maybe's".
In the meantime we are hoping that the cure will be found before our warranties run out.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:53 AM
edmroadglide
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

had to add about 4 oz the other day 1600 klm on the bike.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:18 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenL808
It may be worth a trip to your dealer to get it fixed under warranty.
No doubt. I'll take it in and do what I can under warranty. However, so far there hasn't been a cure that has been posted here. Lots of guys are getting parts replaced. Seals, washers, even a brand new transmission. None so far have posted that the problem was fixed. Many have posted that the problem is still there. I'll wait a bit longer before I take mine in. Colder weather is coming. I'm going to ride while I can.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FredCa
I drained the primary 200 miles ago at the 5K service interval. The level was at the top of the derby cover opening. My comment was in line with the previous posts that some have needed to add less oil to the tranny over time. I have noticed the same.
Cool. I hope mine gets better over time. So far, no.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:24 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
Just the spacer? I am reading that the MOCO is sending out a seal with the old part number and a spacer with a new part number in an attempt to fix the transfer of fluids problem. The new spacer apparently has a bevel on one side now. Maybe the MOCO engineers feel like the old spacer was cutting through the seal which then allowed a vacuum to be pulled inside the primary which in turn sucked oil from the primary.
There have been numerous people who have had this repair done and they are reporting that it has not fixed their problem. Lots of knowledgeable people out there still think the problem is with the transmission, not the primary. Probably a venting or drainage issue. I am beginning to think the MOCO does not have as many engineers working on this as I had hoped in the beginning. This migrating fluid issue has been out there since May of this year. Maybe all their engineering resources have been working on the faulty oil pumps and the sumping issues which are apparent in the Stage III and Stage IV engines. Maybe their engineering staff has been overwhelmed. Maybe they did not think many bikes were having migration issues. That is a lot of "maybe's".
In the meantime we are hoping that the cure will be found before our warranties run out.

As mentioned previously, spacers were on backorder...........seal was in stock

Eagle Out

Old 08-30-2017, 02:33 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
As mentioned previously, spacers were on backorder...........seal was in stock

Eagle Out
Word is that some of the spacers are on backorder until mid September. My SM said that he has a parts procurement guy trying to track one down before then...........

Old 08-30-2017, 07:41 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Word is that some of the spacers are on backorder until mid September. My SM said that he has a parts procurement guy trying to track one down before then...........

Old 08-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Find someone with a lathe and grinder. Not hard to increase chamfer on spacer. Heck back in the 70s many bikes has to be fixed by the dealer before they could even be sold.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (08-31-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 08:43 PM
xyzzyxyzzy
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop

Two more "maybes". Maybe H-D doesn't have any decent engineers left that know how to deal with the problem. And, perhaps worse, maybe H-D just doesn't really care.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:12 AM
FM500
Road Master
Received 3,800 Likes on 678 Posts

My RK (build date 04/17) is now near 5.000km (3.000 mls).
Looks like my bike now wants to bother me and starts with the transmission oil xfer.
Can anyone tell me what's the amount between "A"dd and "F"ull seen on the dipstick?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?