Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 07:38 AM
Steve Helton
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Yeah, I knew Steve had done one, I'm just wondering if anyone has had one completed by HD yet. A few of the guys mentioned that their seal was on backorder, like mine.
Hope it fixes it may be part of the problem.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:25 AM
Michaelpost
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
The shaft seal and spacer that they are replacing on mine is on the crank shaft behind the compensator. They can do all the work from the primary side so they don't have to dive into the actual crankcase. They had to buy a "special tool" just for my bike to be able to pull the seal from that side. My bike has been at the shop since 8/2 when they picked it up and started the official HD Checklist. The seal is a stock item but the spacer is the magical part that doesn't seen to be in stock anywhere. Not exactly sure when that may show up but I hope it's soon........ Has anyone had their seal/spacer replacement job completed? How did it go?

Michaelpost, are you sure they're pulling and replacing your tranny? And in only 4 hours?
I'm just repeating what I was told. Less than a year into Harley Davidson ownership I already doubt most of what the dealer service department tells me. You're explanation makes more sense.
To their credit, they seem committed to making things right, up to and including a new engine.

Last edited by Michaelpost; 08-24-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:14 AM
tnlarry
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 roadglide transmission

I recently had a primary drain plug issue that needed repair. Once they took the inner primary off to fix the plug they found a oil leak on the transmission counter shaft bearing. they were advised by Harley to replace the transmission case. i now have found that i need to add transmission oil about every 4000 mi. i am going to talk with them today for a solution. My question is it possible for the transmission oil to leak into the engine oil tank? i was told the are next to each other in a common well area separated by a the case walls. is their a gasket that could be bad???

Thanks

Old 08-24-2017, 09:44 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by tnlarry
I recently had a primary drain plug issue that needed repair. Once they took the inner primary off to fix the plug they found a oil leak on the transmission counter shaft bearing. they were advised by Harley to replace the transmission case. i now have found that i need to add transmission oil about every 4000 mi. i am going to talk with them today for a solution. My question is it possible for the transmission oil to leak into the engine oil tank? i was told the are next to each other in a common well area separated by a the case walls. is their a gasket that could be bad???

Thanks
If you are loosing tranny oil into the motor. the likely problem is the oil pan gasket. The tranny oil drain hole runs through the oil pan and can leak into the motor past the gasket. This sounds like they didn't get the oil pan back on right when they changed the tranny case or somehow dmaged the gasket surface.. It probably wasn't the primary drain plug that was bad originally but the counter-shaft bearing seal.. Oil leak from that bearing can migrate over to the primary drain plug.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:52 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Being the spacer for the HD checklist replacement is nowhere to be found...on backorder, I wonder if they have revised or redesigned it and its not in full production yet.......

Just thinkin out loud, it seems as though a stock part should not be unavailable for weeks, either they are replacing a ton of them or sumtin else is up IMHO!

Still waitin on mine to come in..............bike at home till they get it!

Eagle Out

Old 08-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Probably all they did with the spacer was make the OD slightly larger so that it fits the seal a little tighter..

Old 08-24-2017, 12:09 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Probably all they did with the spacer was make the OD slightly larger so that it fits the seal a little tighter..
Your speculating.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:25 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texaswiz
Your speculating.
Yes I am.. Kinda why I started with "probabaly" What else are you going to do with a spacer and a seal? ID and length are fixed.. I guess the ID or concentricity could be sloppy enough that spacer original doesn't center as well. In that case my first assumption would be wrong.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Wmitz
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Anyone know if the new softails are running the same trans as the touring bikes?

Old 08-24-2017, 01:00 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Yes I am.. Kinda why I started with "probabaly" What else are you going to do with a spacer and a seal? ID and length are fixed.. I guess the ID or concentricity could be sloppy enough that spacer original doesn't center as well. In that case my first assumption would be wrong.
He said "Your speculating"...

I think he was trying to say, "Your speculating is on point. Thank you kind Sir, as I have no point of my own".

Sometimes messages get cut off midstream because of network conditions.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?