Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:42 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,154 Likes on 1,861 Posts

I was one that didn't have any migration until 6k miles. And, I haven't had any migration since then, and I'm at 10k now. The only time it happened was on the interstate runs heading north to Strugis. It did not happen on the way back south.

So, here's another case: it only migrates when heading north!

Old 08-21-2017, 04:42 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

my only point is the sampling of owners on this forum reporting issues can't accurately be extrapolated to the tens of thousands of M8's sold..for every one here that had issues I'm convinced there were many more that didn't have any...if it's as bad as it sometimes is being made out to be after a year, the Press would be all over it calling it one of the biggest POS bikes HD ever built, not Awarding it MOY..that's all

Last edited by mjwebb; 08-21-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:01 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
I was one that didn't have any migration until 6k miles. And, I haven't had any migration since then, and I'm at 10k now. The only time it happened was on the interstate runs heading north to Strugis. It did not happen on the way back south.

I wonder if in Australia it migrates counterclockwise when heading South..???

Old 08-21-2017, 05:17 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
my only point is the sampling of owners on this forum reporting issues can't accurately be extrapolated to the tens of thousands of M8's sold..for every one here that had issues I'm convinced there were many more that didn't have any...if it's as bad as it sometimes is being made out to be after a year, the Press would be all over it calling it one of the biggest POS bikes HD ever built, not Awarding it MOY..that's all
"No one is going..." "Everyone is worried..."

mjwebb is right. I'm really sorry to hear some people are having very bad issues with their motorcycles but I'm also sick and tired of hearing macrunner tell ME how I feel about mine. He even told me he hopes mine gets issues!

Old 08-21-2017, 05:28 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 208 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I wonder if in Australia it migrates counterclockwise when heading South..???
no silly, the primary fluid migrates into the trans in Australia....duh.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 05:42 PM
NBH
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seen a few start weeping under the side cover. The owners usually don't notice because the web guarding over the wires soaks up an incredible amount of oil before it makes a spot. Tranny main seals can fail as well but that's more time/miles related.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:54 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Worried about it on Vacation? Nope. Totally forgot about it until 10 days later. The bike never indicated anything was wrong so I didn't think to even check it.

Also, long, long ago I reported how my top end on this new engine was pretty loud comparied to what I've heard other discuss - it literally sounded like my old Twincam without rocker lockers . Loud.

Any who, after miles and miles running the thing hard, it's now totally silent. I mean, it's fantastic...

And... the engine is super smooth. Something else I complained about long ago. I thought I'd got a lemon. Let me tell you, besides the little oil transfer, this thing is every thing I dreamed it to be. It's a peach.

Last edited by lp; 08-21-2017 at 05:59 PM.
johnnynitro (08-22-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 07:05 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

I gotta tell ya, I'm starting to feel a little excited about the 18's.....thinking about a CVO....I just have to convince the wife, ohh still no transfer...

mjwebb (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 08:50 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Yes, you can transfer a ton of oil quickly at super high RPM (Steve's example) ...Good news is, I don't think the trans cared. Never made a peep or acted strange. Same with the extra oil that is currently still in my primary. Shifting etc all fine.
MOCO designed the tranny to hold a certain amount of lubricant, presumably their is some science behind the amount. So, is the lifespan of the bearings diminished by running the tranny low on fluid? If it were my bike JD be a bit concerned about it.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:51 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith

Any big differences in conditions from north to south? Like we're hitting a big headwind one way, much higher temps, etc...?

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?