Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:09 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,373 Likes on 4,781 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
That's supposed to be the maximum safe RPM, implemented by MoCo, that you can run that motor and not hurt it
that's really the crux of the biscuit for me here...the sense that I paid for something that will have negative consequences if i comply with factory recommendations..it's enough to **** off 'The Good Humor Man'...oh well..commence waiting

Old 08-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,018 Likes on 4,065 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
It's clear if you look at their income statement. 2/3 of their revenue and nearly 3/4 of the net profit come from sales of t-shirts, toys, piggy banks, lunch boxes etc. A small portion of income/net profit comes from motorcycles.
This seems to indicate otherwise..

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/what-i...kdown-cm764307

Old 08-19-2017, 02:48 PM
Macrunner
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

You see, this is what peeve me about this forum. You have a problem and get upset and that's OK. Someone else has a list of problems and you get the whole band wagon going on how great your 2017 is. Best bike every. Bla bla bla..

The bottom line is yes. The 2017 M8 is a nice platform. But that said we CANNOT let HD keep getting away with no fixes for the major issues that have been listed many many times.
1. Oil transfer
2. Sumping
3. Oil Pressure light
4. Heat issues on the Twin cooled 114 (which is probably helping to drive sumping)

Fix the list Harley Davidson and yes you have good new platform. But don't fix it and forget about the folks who had faith in you and bought the 2017!!!

I hope you ALL know this is EXACTLY what HD plans on doing (IMO). They are going to slide in the new fixes as they get them. They aren't going to put out a major recall for oil pumps or the tranny transfer issue. I'll even prove it to you right now. How many part numbers have there been for oil pumps since the M8 came out? How many recalls have there been for stock bikes? ZERO. What oil pump part number is in your bike??? Keep in mind some haven't see oil pressure issues until they reached 15K miles.

That doesn't make me feel very comfortable. No more than the fact that I at first transfered 14 oz of tranny fluid to my primary in 2.5k miles. Now with 5k on the bike (yes two engines but never the less) it's transferred zero oz in the second 2.5 k. If they have a fix for the tranny transfer issue they aren't fessing up yet even though I've reported it a long time ago (with proof).

Best bike ever? Not yet. Fix the issues HD and then we will talk.

The following users liked this post:
ocezam (08-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 04:22 PM
borrec
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

"You see, this is what peeve me about this forum."

Also all the postings that have nothing to do with oil transfer!

103Eagle (08-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by Macrunner
You see, this is what peeve me about this forum. You have a problem and get upset and that's OK. Someone else has a list of problems and you get the whole band wagon going on how great your 2017 is. Best bike every. Bla bla bla..

The bottom line is yes. The 2017 M8 is a nice platform. But that said we CANNOT let HD keep getting away with no fixes for the major issues that have been listed many many times.
1. Oil transfer
2. Sumping
3. Oil Pressure light
4. Heat issues on the Twin cooled 114 (which is probably helping to drive sumping)

Fix the list Harley Davidson and yes you have good new platform. But don't fix it and forget about the folks who had faith in you and bought the 2017!!!

I hope you ALL know this is EXACTLY what HD plans on doing (IMO). They are going to slide in the new fixes as they get them. They aren't going to put out a major recall for oil pumps or the tranny transfer issue. I'll even prove it to you right now. How many part numbers have there been for oil pumps since the M8 came out? How many recalls have there been for stock bikes? ZERO. What oil pump part number is in your bike??? Keep in mind some haven't see oil pressure issues until they reached 15K miles.

That doesn't make me feel very comfortable. No more than the fact that I at first transfered 14 oz of tranny fluid to my primary in 2.5k miles. Now with 5k on the bike (yes two engines but never the less) it's transferred zero oz in the second 2.5 k. If they have a fix for the tranny transfer issue they aren't fessing up yet even though I've reported it a long time ago (with proof).

Recall is for safety issues only. Product program is to correct common problems.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 274 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Macrunner

1. Oil transfer
2. Sumping
3. Oil Pressure light

Deleted

Last edited by Timberwolf2017; 08-20-2017 at 08:43 PM.
dDavid (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 06:49 PM
2013superglideseattle
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did not have tranny issue but I had engine oil migration into primary chain case issue. Bike is 17 fltrxs with approaching 10K miles. Dealer changed a seal and problem fix.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:06 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017
I hear you. I purchased the first 2017 my dealer sold. My main concern is the oil pump. If HD had to re-design the M8 oil pump, they should issue a TSB and replace all of them. I don't want to keep this bike knowing it could develop a problem after warranty, not to mention if the engine is not getting the oil it needs, there could already be damage that would not show up until much later. I am tempted to trade for a 2018 or 2019.
Some Harley history on Twin Cam motors. Compensator, cam chain tensioners, cam bearing, inner primary bearing, stator. These were issues for some and Harley came up with upgraded parts to fix but no TSB. Chances are your pump is good and will be covered during warranty period. After warranty period you will pay to have it fixed. I agree with you upgraded parts should go in at least during the warranty period.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 274 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SomeOld Biker
Some Harley history on Twin Cam motors. Compensator, cam chain tensioners, cam bearing, inner primary bearing, stator. These were issues for some and Harley came up with upgraded parts to fix but no TSB. Chances are your pump is good and will be covered during warranty period. After warranty period you will pay to have it fixed. I agree with you upgraded parts should go in at least during the warranty period.
Deleted

Last edited by Timberwolf2017; 08-20-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:08 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017
I guess my question is why did they re-design the pump? What was wrong with the original design? I thought the oil pump issues were from metal shavings from milling during the manufacturing process that was holding open the relief valve creating no oil pressure, but that would not be a design issue. Obviously, it is something else.
The new versions were to increase volume. To pull more oil out of the sump and push it back to the oil pan, and just like about every thing else Harley, it's taken 4 to 10 versions to finally get it right (maybe).

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?