Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
And my personal sympathy back to you. Were it not for this "transfer" problem, I'd already have my stage IV kit and maybe would be having your problems myself.

None that I'm aware of.

Yeah. I agree.

Except if the trans locks up from lack of lubrication the resulting crash could be fatal.

My personal feeling is the trans won't completely run dry. It gets very low. Mine wasn't even registering on the stick when I first looked into this problem. But I believe there's enough left to keep the trans from a catastrophic failure, but I'd assume it'll severely limit the transmissions life.
Be thankful you haven't experienced sumping. My second engine was literally just a few miles away from a complete and catastrophic failure based on the stiffness of the crank/rods and the completely burned lifters. All that in less than 500 miles.

The fact that there have been no transmission failures is of some solace. By now there are millions, if not 10's of millions of miles, on M8 transmissions. If there were significant failures due to low fluids, there would be substantial reports by now. So while the trans fluid levels may be disconcerting, they are clearly NOT having a functional impact on the bike's performance. So I say enjoy the ride and stop worrying about the trans fluid. Have it checked according to the manual and whenever the bike is serviced but otherwise enjoy the bike.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-17-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 05:54 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Every thread? Dumbass or lying? Yeah OK. Neither is accurate.
Yup, sorry. I was completely wrong. I was thinking of another member here.

A little oil transfer? I'm not interested in servicing my bike every 30 to 60 days. Less if I actually want to take a trip. If it works for you, cool.
I just rode 6200 HARD miles which was a three week trip, and I only had to add 16 ounces to the trans.
It's not a problem you nor anyone couldn't handle in a few minutes. Still a great bike otherwise.
Harley will eventually get it fixed. Just have to be patient... and it would probably help to remain calm.

Licensing and branding are two side to the same coin. Branding is HD selling no motorcycle products with the HD stamp/logo. Licensing is HD letting Ford crate an HD pick up etc. And Yeah, they make much more on merchandising than motorcycles. Nothing wrong with that. I've spent a bunch on HD crap that had nothing to do with riding.

And the income ratio is correct at least it was a year or two ago. It's a publicly traded company. Their income statement is public record.
This is a common myth. As I posted awhile back, HD makes way more on motorcycles than on merchandising. Example: http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...source=company

Just in the second quarter HD reported $1,2 Billion revenue in bikes and "only" $237 Million in Parts/accessories, and $63 Million in General merchandising. Also, 188 Million in Financial services.

BTW, no Hurricane to worry about this year - yet.

Last edited by lp; 08-21-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:42 AM
fwj
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

My experience is that the level in trans doesn't go below a certain point. Not low enough to lock up the trans, but low enough to hear the trans starting to whine all of a sudden. And that is certainly not increasing the lifetime of the gears.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:24 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I just rode 6200 HARD miles which was a three week trip, and I only had to add 6 ounces to the trans.
It's not a problem you nor anyone couldn't handle in a few minutes. Still a great bike otherwise. Harley will eventually get it fixed. Just have to be patient... and it would probably help to remain calm.
6 oz in 6000 miles is much better than I am getting.

Being patient isn't my strongest quality. But I'm working on it. My biggest fear with this issue is HD's lack of acknowledgement. In the first few weeks of availability the oil pump and cylinder porosity problems seemed to be dealt with quickly and professionally. With this trans issue too many (most) customers are reporting blank stares and/or disbelief on the part of HD and dealers. This concerns me....

Old 08-18-2017, 07:27 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,273 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Guess I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow to see if my spacer is on backorder also. It's already been in there 2 weeks now. If they have it for 2-1/2 more weeks, I will have made a month's worth of bike payment without being able to even polish the damn chrome, let alone ride the sumbitch!
Yup....... stopped by the dealer today to hear them tell me the spacer is on backorder...... not sure of the date of arrival.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:37 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Yup....... stopped by the dealer today to hear them tell me the spacer is on backorder...... not sure of the date of arrival.
Backorder.... that doesnt sound good. I wonder if they have been using a lot of them.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

6 oz in 6000 miles is much better than I am getting.

Being patient isn't my strongest quality. But I'm working on it. My biggest fear with this issue is HD's lack of acknowledgement. In the first few weeks of availability the oil pump and cylinder porosity problems seemed to be dealt with quickly and professionally. With this trans issue too many (most) customers are reporting blank stares and/or disbelief on the part of HD and dealers. This concerns me....
Concerns me too. It's usually hard to get a Service department on board with something you already know about (having read about it here for example), but usually achievable with some effort.
In this case... deer in the headlights. I had one tech actually laugh at me and say, "that is impossible". With no TSB to refer to they have to call HD to confirm and sometimes that's a chore in itself.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:32 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,272 Likes on 4,441 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Everything turns into a pissing match on here.
No it doesn't........!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
ocezam (08-18-2017), stixvrad (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:38 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,374 Likes on 4,782 Posts

wonder how long this thread will go on regurgitating the same statements of concerns, observations, etc..this has become nucking futs until new information becomes available..just sayin'

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
rockymtman (01-08-2018), stixvrad (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 10:12 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,126 Likes on 3,646 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
wonder how long this thread will go on regurgitating the same statements of concerns, observations, etc..this has become nucking futs until new information becomes available..just sayin'
How long until HD trademarks the word "transfer" or "sumping"?

The following 4 users liked this post by stixvrad:
DaddyKnuck (08-18-2017), lp (08-18-2017), mjwebb (08-18-2017), ocezam (08-18-2017)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?